Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 107 total)
  • Would it be good for the forum if…
  • Stu_N

…there was a limit on the number of posts each member could make?

Seems to me there are a minority of users with far too much time on their hands. I think as a result the place has become very argumentative and dominated by a dozen or so individuals (seen them referred to as “big hitters”, hopefully ironically) who always seem to crop up on threads and bat around the same points repeatedly.

If people were limited to maybe 10 or 20 posts a day (or 500 posts a month), would that improve the quality of discussion, make the atmosphere of the forum more friendly and make it less intimidating? Maybe Premier members could have enhanced posting rights?

DezB
    Free Member

far too much time on their hands

Pot, kettle, black etc.

Harry_the_Spider

Here we go again… 🙄

binners

If they couldn’t post in here, they’d have to be released back into the community.

Do you want that? Do you?! Could you live with that on your conscience?

There’s more navel gazing going on round here of late than a sixth form common room. Get a grip FFS!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

This would seem to be a deliberate troll, no?
    Which should incur the OP a ban, right?

Post reported.

jota180
    Free Member

you could give them say …………. 300 standard STW minutes, unlimited standard STW posts and 250MB of STW web access a month.

Then a few free posts towards the end of their contract to air their angst over what to upgrade to next

Torminalis
    Free Member

I thought people only came here for the keyboard warrioring?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Nah stupid idea.

Some of us would have to do some work then..

druidh
    Free Member

I’m guessing it would be less good as regards advertising revenues.

hora
    Free Member

TBH personal attacks reported asap would tidy the place up and return it to more what it used to be.

The topics were the same old arguments are rinsed over are obvious to avoid (i.e. strikes, NHS, politics etc).

camo16
    Free Member

Would it be good for the forum if… we were less knowingly self-referential?

donsimon
    Free Member

Wouldn’t it be better if people could only post one line? (That is all I can generally be bothered reading anyway).

camo16
    Free Member

Or maybe just five words?

donsimon
    Free Member

Just two?

Stu_N

Not trolling, just trying to make a constructive suggestion.

My posting history shows how little time I spend on here.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

It would be better if it had private messaging, ‘like’ buttons and if it was split into more forums…

Lifer
    Free Member

camo16 – Member
    Or maybe just five words?

Or 8 letters, 3 words, 1 meaning?

(Worst chorus ever)

donsimon
    Free Member

not being funny, why are you so concerned about what other people are doing?

xcgb
    Free Member

would double posts count?

derek_starship
    Free Member

It’s the internet – there are no boundaries.

xcgb
    Free Member

donsimon
    Free Member

xcgb
    Free Member

It would be better if it had private messaging, ‘like’ buttons and if it was split into more forums…

oooh oooh and make it blue, i like blue

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Everyone loves a bit of blue…

Follow this link at your own freewill but please don’t ask for me to be banned if you do.

donsimon
    Free Member

Could we have avatars too? I’m sure I could find something ridiculously funny to use.

philconsequence
    Free Member

i think we should all list our bikes and security around said bikes in our avatars, thats the smart thing to do!

jota180
    Free Member

I think we should have animated signatures too

I want one of a little dog that runs up and down

—————————————————————————————————————————————

donsimon
    Free Member

i think we should all list our bikes and security around said bikes in our avatars, thats the smart thing to do!

Surely that would only be beneficial if we could include out location or postcode too, wouldn’t it?

hels
    Free Member

I think that sounds like a good idea, might be less crap to read through to get to the good bits !!

I notice recently one of the Big Hitters has started referring to himself in the third person (runs to check library copy of DSM-III under sociopath) so they will just all make up new log-ons and start arguing with themselves… literally.

themountaingoat
    Free Member

If someone goes over their daily posting allowance I would happily sell them some of mine.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Stu_N – Member
    Not trolling, just trying to make a constructive suggestion.

My posting history shows how little time I spend on here.

A little less, Stu, and you won’t have to worry about it AT ALL! :mrgreen:

maccruiskeen

Rubber_Buccaneer

I have another idea, why not replace the poll on the home page with a list of the top 10 posters for the month. Premier users could then vote for one of them to be banned for the following month. Once a year, maybe christmas, a table of who had voted for who could be published on the site. Good hearted banter etc would ensue….

flow
    Free Member

Do you think we could ban those stupid “My bike got stolen from my shed/garage” threads. Or at least have an automated reply saying “what did you expect dumbass?”

thegreatape
    Free Member

It probably would improve the quality of the discussions, be less intimidating and more friendly.

But it wouldn’t be anywhere near as funny if all the loopers were gagged, so all things considered, I vote no.

derekrides
    Free Member

Surely you can be selective in what you bother to read, this place is already pseudo protective enough, some of us get banned for the slightest indiscretion yet the time served get away with blue murder imvho, not that personally I’m an exponent of banning anyone, don’t like it don’t read it further.

I enjoyed that political debate about the public sector, a lot of not normal hi rate posters made some very interesting points, and it’s educating to see the other persons viewpoint even though you may not agree with it, isn’t that what forums are about?

So I think if you’re going to be restrictive then it should apply equally across the board, post count should never justify opinion value, just because you’re new to a particular board shouldn’t mean either your welcome or contribution is valued any the less.

They are tedious those chaps, but not worth getting upset about or denying their ‘fix’, and I have a feeling this place works precisely because it’s so simple, not sure it’s as popular as it might be but then that’s my opinion after a couple of bans, who knows who else has been removed or where they go instead.

donsimon
    Free Member

Premier users could then vote for one of them to be banned for the following month.

Isn’t that elitist or some other type of -ist?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

some of us get banned for the slightest indiscretion yet the time served get away with blue murder

Really? some long standing members get banned far more easily than the norm – deliberate policy made clear by the mods.

Cougar

I have nothing constructive to add, so here’s a picture of a condescending llama.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 107 total)

The topic ‘Would it be good for the forum if…’ is closed to new replies.