Viewing 12 posts - 81 through 92 (of 92 total)
  • Working from home loneliness
  • handybar
    Free Member

I’ve worked remotely for five years, so on the surface of things, there is no real change. However, I was very dependent on getting out the house, going to restaurants and pubs, without those outlets it’s been quite challenging. But beats commuting every day.

rsl1
    Free Member

It’s really started to get to me this week. I don’t associate it with WFH though, it’s lockdown that’s meaning I don’t speak to any of the people I normally would outside of work. I isolated running up to christmas so I’ve only had 2 weeks out of lockdown since September which is a scary thought. Still, I’ve got it better than plenty of people this year, I just wish it wasn’t effecting my productivity so much

thecaptain
    Free Member

Not an issue for me personally but can quite understand it is for some.

However, the end IS in sight. Really. Spring is coming, infection rates are continuing to plummet and most of us (including basically everyone with significant vulnerability) will have been vaccinated in another month or two. So I hope those who are finding it a struggle can start to feel a bit more optimistic soon.

nicko74

A mate on a Whatsapp group helpfully shared a photo of the last night all of us were all together for a beer – which was exactly a year ago. A whole year of basically missing out on the usual social chat, banter, actually using conversational skills. **** it’s depressing

Duggan

WfH for almost 12 months here. I feel OK with it but don’t think I have it especially hard compared to other people as I live with my wife in a fairly large house and no kids to look after.

If I had to choose between WfH full-time or back to exactly as it used to be (office 9-5) it’d be a real tough choice. I think they’re both equally good/bad but just in completely different ways. Luckily as others have said I’m holding out of some sort of hybrid arrangement which if possible, I think would be great.

I also agree that we should try and avoid conflating WfH and WfH+lockdown. I expect a lot of people who are struggling would not have found it quite so hard if it was simply WfH in normal times.

I read about an app the other day that is simply a live-feed video of other people silently working which you can just add to your screen. Apparently it worked quite well at increasing productivity and wellbeing.

chewkw
    Free Member

Nahh … WFH is perfectly fine by me. All good.

I have 4 computer screens of all sizes on at most time so all good.

I don’t have to get up too early and I can smoke at will while in the meeting. Yes, I can.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I think i have become more sociable in lockdown.

ahsat

It’s got to me this week. But I think like comments above, it’s WFH + lockdown. I’ve only left the county 4 times since October, and even then it was only to go the next county and the border is only 4 miles away! Plus getting COVID end of November and still not fully better now. It’s all just got a bit much. I actually don’t mind WFH too much – been doing it since mid March 2020 so it’s reached a level of acceptance and I have a decent office set up. But it’s the total lack of variation – I used to be in labs, giving lectures, meeting students etc which meant my week was quite varied. 100% online, no field work and lockdown has really started to grate now. I really need a change of scene. It’s definitely hit my productivity this week.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah, lack of variety for me too.

ali69er
    Free Member

I hate WFH. My job requires this most of the time anyway. If you fancy a coffee or to setup some kind of group send me a message. I find the pressure of home claustrophobic.

funkmasterp

I’m back WFH after spending a few months in the office. I find getting motivated and being productive the most difficult aspects of it. I am finding it slightly easier than last time I tried it.

I also have two young kids (3 & 7) and the youngest is a wild card in the best possible way. I had a meeting with an important customer last week when she walked in and tried to stealthily steal some hula hoops from the packet on my desk. You could just see this messy mop of blonde curls and a little hand searching about on the camera. Then a little voice saying “oh, I’m too tiny”

I burst out laughing, picked her up, gave her a cuddle and then took her back downstairs. People just need to get used to that sort of thing happening. I’ve seen colleagues apologise for it in group meetings or even yell at their kids. Both shitty responses imo.

mogrim

I’m not particularly suffering from loneliness, as despite WFH I’m still meeting up with my tri club for training twice a week, with my mountain running mates on Saturday, and my biking friends tomorrow… but it’s still doing my head in. I miss going in to the office, the Monday morning chat about the weekend, the after-lunch 20min stroll we did together, the Friday elevenses in the canteen… Little things you take for granted until they suddenly disappear.

Viewing 12 posts - 81 through 92 (of 92 total)

The topic ‘Working from home loneliness’ is closed to new replies.