Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 93 total)
  • Words/phrases that should be erased from the MTB dictionary.
  • toys19
    Free Member

There are a few words and phrases that I feel do not belong in the MTB lexicon. The stuff that forums, marketing bullshitters and magazines like to perpetuate, but have really no place in our world.
    What words piss you off so much that you wish you could laser them off MTB’s tattooed skin?

1) Justify, Justified, Justification: As if anything we do is justifiable, and who cares. Nobody needs an MTB of any type, it is all about want. I’m fine with want. Wasting your life trying to justify owning a middle of the road xc hardtail or a single speed ti fatbike, is as pointless as aruging with people on the internet.

2) Overbiked: Meaningless drivel where people get caught up defining a niche, just so that anyone caught not riding their minimal travel bike off a cliff into a field of sharpened steel stakes, during an earthquake, whilst wearing only their mothers skimpy négligée for protection, must be overbiked.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Awesomnez

chris85
    Free Member

‘Stoked’ especially ‘super stoked’ just sounds, well…..false 😆

chris85
    Free Member

Oh yeah and the word ‘ enduro’ where’s that word all of a sudden come from!?

thehustler
    Free Member

singlespeed

bruneep

Steed

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Huck.

klumpy
    Free Member

Mountainbike.

When they were called klunkers it was about pulling bikes out of scrapyards and bouncing downhill for giggles. I love the fact that if your brakes weren’t good enough you just fitted a Bigger Lever.

jody
    Free Member

Rotors…… In the US brake discs are called rotors. In the UK they are called brake discs.

All the usual BS as someone mentioned above, stoked, pumped and doubly so if someone mentions “super stoked” or just super anything.

dirtydog
    Free Member

The word ‘super’, super this super that, its super annoying and adds nothing.

thepurist

Pumped, sick, gnarly, rad, boost, roost, dude. Oh, and 650B.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Surely rotor refers to the round metal bit bolted to the hub and disk brake is the just a generalisation for the rotor and caliper.?

jody
    Free Member

Yes the rotor (in MTB and US terms) is the metal bit that fits to the hub. But go into a motor bike or car garage, motor factors, main dealers and ask them to change your rotors. They won’t know what you are on about.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Most of the MBUK terminology.

Oh, and using the word ‘hoop’ to describe a wheel rim.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

“Edit” – No, the word is film, or even video if you must, but not “edit”, you asshats!

“Colorway” – I will kill you.

“Pull the trigger” – Now, if you’re actually shooting, then that’s just fine, but if all you’re doing is pressing the “add to basket” button on an online shopping site, I’m afraid to say that it’s time for you to be dropped in to the pit of rotating knives.

I could go on, but I can feel my blood pressure rising already.

gringojimi
    Free Member

Full Gas.

That really gets on my tits.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Wasting your life trying to justify owning a middle of the road xc hardtail or a single speed ti fatbike, is as pointless as aruging with people on the internet.

No it isn’t.

mattbee

I get irrationally irritated by the use of ‘quiver’ and ‘steed’.

toys19
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    “Edit” – No, the word is film, or even video if you must, but not “edit”, you asshats!

“Colorway” – I will kill you.

“Pull the trigger” – Now, if you’re actually shooting, then that’s just fine, but if all you’re doing is pressing the “add to basket” button on an online shopping site, I’m afraid to say that it’s time for you to be dropped in to the pit of rotating knives.

I could go on, but I can feel my blood pressure rising already.

CFH this is so beautiful, I could weep.

mattsccm
    Free Member

“Fender” Its a bloody mudguard!
    “Seat post.” Seat pin if you please.
    “Spinning” my mum does that with wool. In Britain we twiddle!
    “non drive side” such cobblers. Left!!!

flatfish
    Free Member

Sessioning

julianwilson
    Free Member

“run” as in “I run a 45mm stem on my enduro bike”.
    You run a sweepstake, a business, a pub, a lathe, possibly even a lawnmower. You have a 45mm stem on your bike and you sound like a nugget using the word “run”.

Oh and putting slippery black stanchions on a fork like just like marzocchi have been doing for 10 years is not made novel and groundbreaking by the use of “murdered out”.

Oh and forks when you really mean just the one fork, (would you do the same talking about a garden or eating fork?) and consequently referring to the fork using the third person plural ‘them’ when you mean ‘it’.

Haven’t heard anyone say ‘Schralp’ for a while though, so could be worse.

scaredypants

Ghetto

That’s pretty much it for me – the rest just sails over but that one somehow lowers my opinion of the poster.

I accept, even admire, a good bodge but a ghetto fix is a shit version of the same.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Flow.

wordnumb
    Free Member

And I’d also erase any person who drops litter on a trail, or anywhere in woodland. Litter on the trail really ruins my flow.

matt_outandabout

And I’d also erase any person who drops litter on a trail, or anywhere in woodland. Litter on the trail really ruins my flow.

Having pulled a bag of rubbish of Dumyat, including loads of energy gel wrappers today, I agree. Dirty people.

toys19
    Free Member

I propose that we make the concept of litter picking and litter pickers honorary words in our dictionary. Then we can erase those fingernail sniffers from MTB history.

vickypea
    Free Member

Dialled!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Oh, I love most of these words, but then I’m justifiably over biked running super tough hoops on the totally dialled awesomez gnarpoon I pull from my quiver of steeds when I shred the switchbacks and flow thru the berms on my way to a super stoked gnarly sick ride…..

tightywighty
    Free Member

PeterPoddy – Member
    gnarpoon

I’ll give you my gnarpoon when you pry it from my cold, dead hands.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

PP, u da man, man! Props, braw!

matt_outandabout

PP earlier today:

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Sessioning

Yep. ‘sessioning’ = ‘Practice’ FFS!

Dialled. Eff Off!

Ghetto. Don’t even say it till you’ve been to India.

Stoked. Not unless you’ve got a coal fire or a coal fired…something.

Gnarly is almost ok but I prefer ‘Nadgery’, a motorcycle trials term probably invented by Martin Lampkin. Or Malcolm Rathmell.

D0NK

Go for a pooh before a ride instead of buying x component. Some days I may be constipated but my new stem will always be 13g lighter than the old rubbish one I had before 😉

In fact any of the guff that unless you have the skills of Steve peat, lung capacity of liam killeen and weigh the same as Kylie there is no justification (thank you toys) to buying nicer bikes/bits

+ most of the above.
    Edit. Except sessioning bizarrely, I quite like it, yes I guess practising would do the job but sessioning just sounds more….right
    And gnarpoon stays aswell.

dyls

Rig

chvck
    Free Member

“Spinning” my mum does that with wool. In Britain we twiddle!

You may twiddle but I can assure you that I do not!

vickypea
    Free Member

What about “shredding”- do people still say that, or is it out of date?

mattsccm
    Free Member

~I had a hamster that shredded.

BillMC

I quite like mihaly csikszentmihalyi’s work on flow. Would be sad to see that one go.

woodsman
    Free Member

Disk and not Disc

Enduro

All Mountain

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘Words/phrases that should be erased from the MTB dictionary.’ is closed to new replies.