Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 447 total)
  • Words and phrases that Incur a lifetime ban
  • Ambrose

Any reference to a ‘quiver’ or ‘fleet’ of bikes.

‘Analogue’ bikes

Do digital bikes exist? I don’t think that you know the definition of analogue.

Philby

Uptick – never heard of this word until a couple of years ago and now hear it all the time in the media. What is wrong with upturn, increase, growth etc. and you never hear the word ‘downtick’.

‘Living my best life’ – no you’re probably not!

squirrelking
    Free Member

‘Living my best life’ – no you’re probably not!

Unless you want to bring religion into this, they most certainly are.

Kinda like when I tell my only child she’s my favourite.

integra

@scotroutes

Colourway. Winds me up no end!

Needs to be spelt without a U for full effect.
    Sorry, did contemplate spelling it like that but couldn’t bring myself to do it,

jkomo

‘Well I happen to like Mrs Browns Boys’

kayak23

110%

edlong
    Free Member

Apart from “it’s not a thing we used to say in the olden days” what’s the objection to use of “onboarding” ?

There were always multiple and disparate activities to undertake to turn a successful candidate into an active team member and for me having one word to describe all that stuff is handy.

Plus moving away from language tied to employment is helpful when that’s no longer the only or even main type of engagement. Reduces the chance of e.g. someone being missed from important training because they started as an agency temp before being taken “on the books” so didn’t go through a standard recruitment and induction process.

mildred

Or at least, one of us is. 😁

“So I turned around and said…”

No I didn’t, I “replied…” I’m happy to accept it is usually me.

It makes me wonder how a full phrase can be used incorrectly and then becomes “correct” based on common use. Based on this, much of the above spleen popping bilge will become part of our ever evolving language (except of instead of have… that deserves prison).

greyspoke
    Free Member

There are many apparently intelligent people who use the phrase “one single….” – a redundancy which never fails to wind me up

Thanks. I ain’t never saying that again.

edlong
    Free Member

I think ” turned around and said” can express a lot more than just “replied” and could be useful in contexts where “replied” wouldn’t be a correct substitution.

boblo
    Free Member

What’s wrong with ‘gotten’?

It’s full on 100% ‘Merican and hateful. It might have been in use here in Elizabeth Ingurland or some such but wasn’t in common use here until’ recently’. Also see ‘Dude’ – usually uttered by some tubby middle aged man from Barnsley y’know rather than a 20’s something Californian surfer god…

I quite like ‘Snowflake’. It’s use often annoys Sno… Oh, you get the message 🙂

tonyf1
    Free Member

IIRC and ‘I think I read somewhere’. No it doesn’t give you a free pass to talk absolute crap.

onehundredthidiot

I am smee

I am trolling zoo fighter

I am glupton

Cougar

It makes me wonder how a full phrase can be used incorrectly and then becomes “correct” based on common use.

Time. “Beg the question” is old.

As far as I remember, it was originally a Latin phrase from around the time of the Greek philosophers. So, what, a couple of Millennia ago? It was translated into English forever ago presumably so that it was less of a mouthful, at a time when “beg” and “question” had alternate meanings. Presumably as those alternates became archaic, “beg the question” in its original meaning no longer made any sense. I’d have to look it up to be certain but I don’t think it’s really meant anything other than what we think it means for a few centuries.

Cougar

“So I turned around and said…”

A mate of mine says this a lot. “So I turned around and said… so then she turned round and said… so then I turned around and…” It used to irritate me but these days it just amuses me to think of two people having a conversation whilst revolving on the spot.

Chest_Rockwell
    Free Member

I often see people typing brought when they mean bought. It seems to be a southern thing.

And noone, meaning no one. Odd…

kayak23

And noone

Andy_Sweet
    Free Member

Beggars belief

nickc

It’s full on 100% ‘Merican and hateful.

“Ill gotten gains”

“He’d gotten away with it again..”

“I’ve been practicing and gotten quite good”

“What’s gotten into you lately?”

“I’m not touchy feely; I’ve never gotten used to being hugged”

“he deserves more than he’s gotten”

“How he’d gotten here first, he wondered?”

Yep; those Americans, ruining our language…

squirrelking
    Free Member

^this.

I often see people typing brought when they mean bought. It seems to be a southern thing.

Carn’t was a thing for a while as well.

Watty

Go-to. As in ‘but my go-to would be a 4% ish American style Pale Ale’. What’s wrong with FAVOURITE ffs? 🤬

nickc

There’s some Americanisms that are odd. In back of is clearly the opposite of In front of…but still

Also when giving directions they often “make the” rather than “go around”  So; “Go left, then around the town square, and next right”. Becomes, “Go left, make the square, next right”…It’s very odd.

kayak23

Go-to. As in ‘but my go-to would be a 4% ish American style Pale Ale’. What’s wrong with FAVOURITE ffs? 🤬

The local pub doesn’t serve White Lightning which is my favourite drink, so my ‘go-to’ drink in that pub is Special Brew…
    (Just saying)

Oh yeah. ‘Just saying’
    😂

You could make a whole thread on the things that Mary-Anne Hobbs says on 6 Music, such as ‘I see you’, and ‘the Rolling Stones made this’, instead of, ‘this is by the Rolling Stones’, but one I notice a lot is when she, and many others say something like, ‘Electric Monkeypotato are based out of Swindon‘….
    So where are they based if it’s out of Swindon then? 🤔

rogermoore

Shaun
    You’re being a bit sheepish there – can you elaborate?

Underrated.
    RM.

seriousrikk

Go-to. As in ‘but my go-to would be a 4% ish American style Pale Ale’. What’s wrong with FAVOURITE ffs?

“My favorite session beer is Heart & Soul but in the absence of that specific brew my go to would be a 4% ish American style Pale Ale”

I’ve always seen it used (and used it) to describe a broader category of a things wheras favorite is a specific thing within the category.

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

‘I’m not going to lie….’

So you feel the need to reassure me the following statement is truthful? Surely that should be the default position of any reasonable person but by prefacing your statement with this, you imply it will in fact be a departure from your normal deceitful stance. I think you’re a lier. 🙂

‘Regroup’ (adjective) esp. in the context of an individual sportsperson talking about recovering/re-assessing their position following a defeat, normally a tennis player. One person isn’t a group! You can’t regroup!

BadlyWiredDog

‘Steed’, ‘pride and joy’ when used to describe bikes. Shudders.

Oh, and ‘for xyz duties’ too. I think a sentence combining all three could kill me.

fazzini

Seeing a typed piece of work, where the full stops at the end of sentences, are preceded by a space. In fact, this is not solely attributed to full stops . Sometimes , it even happens with other punctuation marks !

Rant

tillydog
    Free Member

what’s the objection to use of “onboarding” ?

i) The process of taking someone on board is called “boarding”. Once they have boarded, they are on board.

ii) I presume you’re not on a ship. aircraft or other vessel.

iii) Do you use the same construct for other activities in your life? After in-cupboarding your shopping, do you on-sofa yourself for a relaxing evening? (If you do, my apologies; we can go our separate ways and pretend this conversation never happened.)

iv) There’s a perfectly good word for the process to which you refer – you used it yourself: Induction

frankconway

Pan fried.
    What else would you use for frying – an old boot, a galvanised bucket?
    Possibly a shovel but impractical unless over a bonfire outside.
    Saying under-estimate when
    over-estimate is correct.
    Anyone referring to bants should be hanged, drawn and quartered – as an example to others.

Mark

‘There’s a front page?’

🙂

ransos
    Free Member

Pan fried.

As opposed to shallow fried or deep fried. Three different methods of cooking.

ernielynch

Also see ‘Dude’ – usually uttered by some tubby middle aged man from Barnsley y’know rather than a 20’s something Californian surfer god…

This is very true. Encouragingly though it appears to be rarely used these days on here compared to a few years back.

Maybe Trump’s presidency reduced the appeal of sounding American?

angrycat
    Free Member

+1 on “going forward”

blackhat
    Free Member

How on earth was “learnings” allowed to infiltrate every day speech?

edlong
    Free Member

tillydog
    Free Member
    what’s the objection to use of “onboarding” ?

i) The process of taking someone on board is called “boarding”. Once they have boarded, they are on board.

ii) I presume you’re not on a ship. aircraft or other vessel.

iii) Do you use the same construct for other activities in your life? After in-cupboarding your shopping, do you on-sofa yourself for a relaxing evening? (If you do, my apologies; we can go our separate ways and pretend this conversation never happened.)

iv) There’s a perfectly good word for the process to which you refer – you used it yourself: Induction

(i) and (ii) it’s a neologism not a corruption, onboard is a different word. The etymology is vaguely interesting and boils down to coming from “taking something on board” (i.e. learning a thing) not “coming onto [a vessel]”

(iii) More than one linguistic construction exists in English. I ride my bike but I don’t walk my shoes. So what?

(iv) Induction is also a different word, commonly an element of onboarding for employees, but not all of it, and there’s induction stuff that isn’t relevant for non employees. Everyone needs to know where the fire exits are, the IT security policies and be issued with user credentials, only employees need to know about the pension scheme and the policy on carried over annual leave. I’ve worked somewhere where the agency temps weren’t shown where the fire exits were because that was part of the staff induction. You can also onboard customers but wouldn’t expect to be doing an induction. It’s not a synonym.

crazy-legs

My two nieces (7 and 8) have just started using the word “literally”.

They literally use it all the time to describe literally anything they’ve just done.
    Apparently, I’m not allowed to kill them for it. Disappointing although they did say that the Christmas presents I got them were literally the best ones of the year.

‘Steed’, ‘pride and joy’ when used to describe bikes. Shudders.

Oh, and ‘for xyz duties’ too. I think a sentence combining all three could kill me.

@BadlyWiredDog
    – that’s a shame because having literally just got back from visiting my nieces, I was about to choose a steed from my quiver – probably the one for flatter road duties – and head out on it. It’s my pride and joy.

Jamz
    Free Member

Utilize

Gotton

Thank you so much

(Yes, I do hate America…)

Edit: ‘thank you so much’ is acceptable if said to the person who has just saved your life.

augustuswindsock

Global pandemic, surely just pandemic suffices!

slowoldman

Pan fried.

As opposed to shallow fried or deep fried. Three different methods of cooking.

What’s the difference between shallow fried and pan fried?

What else would you use for frying – an old boot, a galvanised bucket?

My dad told me he once fried an egg on a tank (you know, the armoured bang bang type) in Jordan.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 447 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM