Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 272 total)
  • Wolf Tooth Components. XX1 type chainring
  • njee20
    Free Member

What about 88mm XTR M985 ones? As much as I don’t think you need to bash your competition and post your adverts, I do want to try one 🙂

nicholas_yiu

Having thought about this, I understand the rings with eventually start dropping chains when they wear. The question is how I would know when that point is. I don’t mind having to replace it every so often, the worry is not knowing when and finding it out on the trail with a dropped chain. I had a big crash because of a dropped chain so probably going to stick with a top guide and normal ring unless I get a clear answer for this.

coursemyhorse
    Free Member

I agree, the person above who tested and got 2 months out of an XX1 ring before it had worn to a point where it was not holding the chain… 2 months of what? Riding daily? Once a week?

uselesshippy
    Free Member

2 months of a pro xc racer, is about 3 years for me. 😀

njee20
    Free Member

My XX rings lasted no time at all, so assuming the XX1 ones are the same material I’d not place that much faith in the longevity of the OEM XX1 ones!

oxym0r0n

Dave of STW has been running 1×10 with a clutch and “normal” chainring for quite a while, with I understand no dropping problems.

Having one of these chainrings is only going to improve on that.

I thought the idea of the different chain thicknesses was to reduce the chain swinging side to side and jumping off.

Oh, and I used my Works + SLX clutch all weekend on the Long Mynd and Shropshire Hills with no chain guide on. Worked excellently! The the anodising is already starting to wear off – interestingly, more on the thinner teeth. I am hoping to not find out “when”…

tehan
    Free Member

Marek Konwa- my tester is riding approx 4-5h a day on 2-3 bikes. So that bike with xx1 is used approx half that time in all conditions (dry, mud, rain etc). That bike is used on all the races as well. That’s why i pointed out it is a PRO rider as he won silver on XC World Cup in 2011.
    I also pointed that my other “regular guy” testers use it more “normal” with marathons from time to time and they still are really happy after 4.5 months.

So it is very individual thing when you will wear the rings to the point it will start dropping the chain. As few said with their riding it may take 2 years:) Someone else will wear the ring within 6 months – it’s individual. Good indication is how often you have to change your cassette and if you change your chain often (ie, ride with 3 chains, and on each only 200 miles- rotation) or just use one for the season and kill whole drivetrain.
    For guys like us (working daily) do lunch time rides and go out on weekends it will take a year at least i guess with a good tooth profile and hard material of the chainring. You will have to change your chain anyway eventually and then buy new chainring like everyone does.
    But some of us will use it a lot more and in a lot worse conditions. And i was referring to those to point out that it is possible to wear it out.

Also please note that even when you decide to run a guide, such chainring still keeps the chain “100” times better then regular one, helping you keep things tight. (that 100 is made up as you cant really measure it but give an idea)

hope that clarifies more.

Moda
    Free Member

Tehan – when are you shipping the Shimano 104 BCD ones as i have one on order ?

tehan
    Free Member

i assume you purchased them on R2. I will ship to them in around 17 days. I can’t make it quicker – sorry. Original promise is Mid Jun and i am trying to hit that date. They will surely be this month.

Vortexracing

what about a fiver off for a pre-order like works components did

😉

tehan
    Free Member

I would really want (but i can’t:) i think it’s cheap enough anyway and my price will be really competitive with RF. Their price is said to be around 55-59$ so in Europe it will be close to 45-50gbp.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Why hasn’t anyone released a 110bcd for cyclcross yet? I’ve love a 1×10 with clutch mech for cross

mashiehood
    Free Member

I have just completed the coast to coast with a 32XX1 with an XTR drivetrain with clutch mech and 11-36 XX cassette. It worked like a dream, no dropped chain or any issues.

Mbnut
    Free Member

So right now I am running a 11-36 cassette with 24/36 rings with a bash on a set of Raceface Sixc cranks, the rear mech is a medium cage XTR clutch jobbie.

I am thinking about going to a General Lee cassette adaptor and a 32 tooth AbsoluteBlack chainring or a 30 tooth Works chainring.

Will my beloved XTR mech work with the General Lee and can I still fit a bash up front?

In truth I can live without the bash but it would break my heart to lose the mech…

Thanks in advance… thought I was happy with my set up till I read this thread and it got me thinking…. doh

mashiehood
    Free Member

mbnut – before you go the general lee route, try the 11.36 with a 32T upfront. I think you might surprise yourself.

Mbnut
    Free Member

Mashie I appreciate your belief in my abilities but I am pretty close to the limit of my abilities now… I think a 30 upfront with a General Lee would suit me best. As you say though I have powered up some pretty brutal climbs on a 32/36 when my front mech broke on a road trip but my knees never really forgave me.

I should mention I am on a 29er which gears things up by around 10% and then you have to factor in the fact that I am a 14st 46 year old that loves beer and pizzas.

Yetiman
    Free Member

Mbnut – that’s the set up I’m going for on my 29er. 30t Works Component ring, General Lee Shimano adapter and XT or XTR shadow plus mech.

v10
    Free Member

Could get messy if this goes through…

Clicky

mindmap3
    Free Member

Mbnut – I’ve got no experiences of the General Lee kit, but Pink Bike found that the Sram mechs worked better than the Shimano one, so it might be worth bearing that in mind. It does look like a good option though.

I think I’m going to go down the route of a thick / thin ring and ditch my full chain device. Partly because my new Banshee has very dropped chainstays which according to a few guys on MTBR has caused issues with running a full guide. Not only that but my E13 is a bit noisey too. So it would be good to get a top mount only.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Raceface are releasing a 104 30T jobby. They are available on preorder at wiggle.

strike
    Free Member

Just read through the most recent posts, and wish to add that I’ve been using a stepped chainring, from Works Components, for a month now and it’s been brilliant. Spent a day riding in the Peaks last week – lots of rocky downhills and didn’t lose the chain once (combined with an X9 clutch mech).

Workmanship looks to be first rate on this chainring plus relatively cheap at £35, and you’re supporting a small UK-based manufacturer.

***I have to add I am in no way connected to Works Components – my enthusiasm stems from trying something completely new to me and being blown away by how good it is.

mos

You can just about make a 30T snowflake one on my new PYGA here.
    I did mention earlier in the therad that i was having problems with the chainline, but it seems to be ok now.

PYGA on Norland by marcusandcath, on Flickr

Yetiman
    Free Member

Mindmap – I think the short cage Zee mech was always going to come second best to the medium cage Sram mech considering the size of the 40t ring. A medium cage XT or XTR mech would have been a better comparison.
    There is a new General Lee Shimano adapter which is supposed to shift slightly better when used in conjunction with a Shimano mech. This is the set up I’m going for. I’ve got all the 10sp Shimano stuff ordered, I’m now just waiting on the 30t Works Component ring and the General Lee adapter. Both are due to be delivered at the end of this month (I hope).

emmodd
    Free Member

I’d be really interested in how you get on with the Shimano General Lee Adapter – hovered over the ‘buy’ button too many times. Out of interest, where have you ended up ordering it from?

Yetiman
    Free Member

I’ve got my name down for one with Bagnoli Bikes in Italy but they haven’t invoiced me yet. I think they’re waiting for the adapters to arrive before taking any money from people. When I spoke to them last week they reckoned the first Shimano adapters would be ready in 10-14 days.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Yetiman – I didn’t realise that they’d reworked it slightly; that’s pretty good going. I’m generally pretty happy on my 11-36 with a 34tooth ring but there are definitely times when I wish I had an easier gear to spin up really long drags so it is something that I may consider in the future because XX1 is way out of my price range! Hoping that X91 may appear one day.

I just need to decide which way to go with the thick thin ring; RF one would match my cranks and comes in pretty colours, the Works one is UK manufacture which is nice and those pics of the Absolute Black one are pretty impressive.

Yetiman
    Free Member

Mindmap – I’m holding out for a works components one. I got an email from them on the 10th confirming availability in 14-18 days. Cost wise I’m currently running a Hammerschmidt, 34t 9sp cassette and Saint mech, but I was already planning to convert to 10 speed so I’m really only counting the WC chainring and GL adapter as extra costs, however all in I’m estimating £370.

coursemyhorse
    Free Member

Yeah please post back about how you get on with the general lee adapter. Intersted.

Yetiman
    Free Member

My Wolf Tooth 30t 104BCD ring has been despatched 🙂

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Yetiman – did you get an email confirming this? I’ve got an order confirmation for one of their 28T SRAM direct mount rings on the 19th but have not received a dispatch email yet.

njee20
    Free Member

Don’t really get why folk are so excited by the General Lee adapter, if you buy a donor cassette as well it’s not that much cheaper than an XX1 cassette, whilst having a narrower range and wearing quicker!

Holyzeus
    Free Member

I’ve had mine 2 weeks, customs had hold of it for some time…
    Only had one ride, no chain device and ordinary rear mech.
    No problems.

mos

njee,
    XX1 requires a different hub (or cassette body if you’re on hope) plus an 11 speed shifter.

scottishbadger
    Free Member

I’ve done about 100 miles on my Works Components 32 now and I must say that it’s fantastic. Super quiet and the 11-36 cassette is a perfect match for my legs (and the Surrey Hills). Using an XT Shadow Plus mech.

I’ll wait for a couple of hundred more miles to pass until I give it a ‘highly recommended’, but for now I’m impressed.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

I’ve got the 88bcd shimano m985 chainring on the way 🙂

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

has anyone got any in stock in the uk around the 35 quid mark? my hope one will be done soon i reckon, and i may as well try one of these type ones next!

mindmap3
    Free Member

The Race Face ones are in stock but are circa £45.

The Works ones are the best value but I think there is a but if a wait for one.

njee20
    Free Member

njee,
    XX1 requires a different hub (or cassette body if you’re on hope) plus an 11 speed shifter.

Well it requires a different freehub body irrespective of whether it’s Hope or not, if you don’t have Hope, I9, DT, Mavic, AMC etc hubs then it means a whole new hub yes 😉

I just don’t quite get why people are prepared to spend getting on for £200 to do half a job, I’d either MTFU with an 11-36 block, or just go XX1 (or wait for X01) I’m surprised there’s much appetite for this.

Yetiman
    Free Member

Wobbliscott – Yes, I received an email today confirming postage of the 30t ring.

m_t_b
    Free Member

Had about 10 rides on my 32t wolftooth and not lost the chain once using it with a type 2 mech and no chain guides, I got charged £16 customs so worth asking them to mark it down in value.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 272 total)

The topic ‘Wolf Tooth Components. XX1 type chainring’ is closed to new replies.