Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 272 total)
  • Wolf Tooth Components. XX1 type chainring
  • singlespeedstu

Just recieved this from http://wolftoothcomponents.com/ .

XX1 type 30T 104 Chainring by singlespeedstu, on Flickr

It’s a 30T to fit a standard 104BCD and it has the new tooth profile to help keep the chain on without a guide.

I’ll see how well it works when my new frame arrives next week and i can get building.
    Just put a chain round it and it does seem to lock it on there quite well.

tazzymtb

It’s a 30T to fit a standard 104BCD and it has the new tooth profile to help keep the chain on without a guide.

funnily enough there are uk versions of that kicking about too. By all accounts remarkably good

Sam

Saw this before and wonder how well they work.

Taz – which one? Not seen anything.

singlespeedstu

Wait’s for tazzys wobbly30tchainkeeperoner. 😆

njee20
    Free Member

Is it offset, or are you filing your spider?

singlespeedstu

It’s offset.
    Might have to just take the corner off the tabs not sure until i fit it.

I’ve also got an Andersen 30t for 104 and that needed a couple of minutes work on the tabs with a file.
    Side profile of the Andersen.

Reducer bushes for chain clearance by singlespeedstu, on Flickr

tazzymtb

Wait’s for tazzys wobbly30tchainkeeperoner.

it’s not a wobbly stu, but made by the same cnc wizards. the prototypes have been thrashed and bounced all over the lake district and on local stuff and not a chain drop once.

Sam have a chat to Kev Clewes on one cog

honourablegeorge

Can’t help thinkign this (and XX1) must cause a bit of resistance to pedalling, with the added friction of chain against ring. Whether that’d be perceptible or not I don’t know.

singlespeedstu

it’s not a wobbly stu

I was taking the p a little tazz.

I recon it’d take some doing to make a wobbly 30t for 104.

tazzymtb

from seeing them in action there’s no perceptible difference in peadalling

tazzymtb

I recon it’d take some doing to make a wobbly 30t for 104.

totally, 33 is the dinkiest wonky on a 104 bcd

Stevelol
    Free Member

I want one! I’ve used the andersen and extralite rings and am due a new chainring.

I can’t find this in their webstore though – is it not available yet?

Also how is this supposed to work; I thought the sram xx1 ring had a special chain too?

singlespeedstu

Steve.

Click on my link at the top and then click on “online store”. 😉
    It’s supposed to work with any 10 speed chain.

Stevelol
    Free Member

Yeah I found the online store 😀

Is this it though?

http://shop.wolftoothcomponents.com/104-BCD-chainrings-001.htm

It looks like the spiderless one has the machined teeth but the 104 BCD just looks like a standard chainring.

singlespeedstu

That’s the one.
    It’s just harder to see the tooth profile with it being black.

Stevelol
    Free Member

Ah I see, it looks like all their chainrings have this profile, I understand now.

How long did yours take to arrive?

singlespeedstu

Two/three weeks maybe.
    I can’t remember when i ordered it TBH.

Rik
    Free Member

When are the goldtec ones available then?

Northwind

Works ones are almost out as well.

DT78
    Free Member

Dumb question as I haven’t seen these before, do you not get issues with the chain sticking still at the bottom of the stroke? Like chain suck?

tazzymtb

When are the goldtec ones available then?

not sure, best bet is to give the shop a shout.

crankrider
    Free Member

Been waiting on a Works one and seeing their new picture on the fb page i really am set on one but dont want to wait forever….

The Wolf one looks OK, not sure about that price though, especially if customs get hold of it?

Good to have options though…. XX1 pricing is out of my range.

]

singlespeedstu

Are Works doing a 30T version?

Oh what are these customs you speak of? 😉

crankrider
    Free Member

Are Works doing a 30T version?

Oh what are these customs you speak of?

Looks on their fb page like plenty have asked them – they say they are looking into it but i would think that means more delays (i am after larger than 30t though so this wont trouble me)

I got shafted by customs last time i purchased some parts from the USA – added £18 to the cost 🙁 – luck of the draw?

singlespeedstu

Ta. 🙂

They “might” stack the luck in your direction if you ask. 😉

oxym0r0n

Ah – this looks like perfect timing, as I am just switching to 10 speed. Raceface ring back to CRC, then phone goldtec today! If not it’ll be a wolfy in 32. $19 shipping + import risk tho 🙁

oxym0r0n

Double postage 😳

rob-jackson
    Free Member

So potential $100 on a chainring?

ianfitz
    Free Member

Marcin at absolute black said he had a xx1 type single chainring for sale.

I’ve not used that but i do have one if his 94 BCD rings which is stunningly made.

He’s very helpful and in the UK.

http://www.absoluteblack.cc/chainrings.html

njee20
    Free Member

So potential $100 on a chainring?

So half the price of an OEM XX, or XTR chain ring then? Doesn’t seem too bad.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

still is stupid for a cog ffs no matter how you dress it up! Its a wear and tear item that will wear pretty quickly if alu and you ride somewhere remotely wet and gritty

rob-jackson
    Free Member

How much will the goldtec ones be knocked out at? Bearing in mind that a superstar stainless ring that will wear VERY slowly plus an E13 guide will cost £55ish in total and the chainring is the only consumable here

johnellison
    Free Member

funnily enough there are uk versions of that kicking about too. By all accounts remarkably good

Who? What? Where? Been looking for a 30T ring for ages – any pointers?

njee20
    Free Member

still is stupid for a cog ffs no matter how you dress it up! Its a wear and tear item that will wear pretty quickly if alu and you ride somewhere remotely wet and gritty

Don’t buy one then 🙄

You must have convulsions at the idea of £350 XX1 cassettes.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

i don’t have one or need one as i do not suffer, unlike a lot on here, with delusions of grandeur

singlespeedstu

still is stupid for a cog ffs

Don’t buy one then.

Problem solved. 🙂

As njee pointed out it’s a fair bit cheaper than XX.

Oh and if i could get the same thing a little cheaper I’d jump at it.But right now this is my only option for a 30t 104 XX style ring so the price seems fair enough.

i don’t have one or need one

Problem solved again. 🙂

jimification
    Free Member

Dumb question as I haven’t seen these before, do you not get issues with the chain sticking still at the bottom of the stroke? Like chain suck?

I think that’s a good question…I can’t remember ever getting chainsuck on a 32T chainring but maybe the tight fit of the teeth could exacerbate chainsuck in very muddy conditions?

Mackem

I think a clutch mech should stop that.

johnellison
    Free Member

Its a wear and tear item that will wear pretty quickly if alu and you ride somewhere remotely wet and gritty

Depends what grade of aluminium. If it’s something cheesy like 1000 series then yes; if it’s 7075/Duralumin unlikely.

Renthal have been making 7075-T6 aluminium motocross sprockets for years – the contact surfaces work-harden, so they actually wear less the older they get.

crankrider
    Free Member

$100 is a bit steep for a ring but it is a ‘new’ thing right now…. My perspective is that it’s a game with customs too, I know stu escaped them but i didn’t last time…..

Though did people miss the part where I said the works ones will be £35-40, that’s about the same as a renthal or similar – no brainier in my eyes until raceface and e13 get involved, then the choice gets tougher.

Edit- unless you need 30t in which case it’s not a common easy thing so is bound to be more expensive.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 272 total)

The topic ‘Wolf Tooth Components. XX1 type chainring’ is closed to new replies.