Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 272 total)
  • Wolf Tooth Components. XX1 type chainring
  • singlespeedstu

My Wolftooth 30t has been working without fault for the handfull of rides i’ve done on it so far.

Can’t wait until there’s a few other people making them and the price comes down a bit.

oxym0r0n

Great – thanks for the update guys – looking forward to my 32t arriving this week

On the whole wear thing – XX1 has been in use for a while now – well over a year, as there were quite a few pros running it at the Olympics, but I guess their stuff gets replaced quite regularly

On the cost of the wolftooths – I bought a second hand shifter, cheap kcnc chain and 10spd xt cassette from bike discount, so all in I have spent <£200 vs >£1000 for xx1

crankrider
    Free Member

That’s a lovely norco but 30t with a 40t cassette, that’s alpine gearing surely?!

I am looking forward to my works ring with all of these pictures now….

DanW
    Free Member

If the consensus is that a clutch mech is needed what are the benefits of these new profile rings? Apologies if it is a daft question!

Option 1: 254g
    A clutch mech (XTR 986- 214g) and wolftooth ring (32T- 40g)
    Option 2: 265g/ 245g
    Normal mech (XTR 980- 174g), chain guide (e13 XCX BB- 56g/ shift up carbon- 36g) and ring (e13 32T- 35g)

There isn’t significant weight in it (XX1 rear mech is fractionally heavier than the XTR example above- of course cassettes will vary too but that is a different matter, plus sub 40g chain guides such as Shift Up are an option to reduce option 2 weight), the running costs are less with option 2 (or at least the same with these newer cheaper rings) and there is the extra security of the chain guide of option 2 is surely an advantage????

If the clutch mechs were lighter then great! But they are not and I can not see the advantages of option 1.

Why risk less performance (no chain guide) for no other apparent gains or am I missing something? Purely aesthetic? Are we taken in by yet more marketing 🙂 It is a genuine question as I don’t really get these rings at the moment.

Ta!

svalgis
    Free Member

No guide means less faff. That’s it.

DanW
    Free Member

No guide means less faff. That’s it.

My guide isn’t any faff but dropping the chain even occasionally is a real pain. Why invite the chances with no guide? I really am skeptical sorry!

crankrider
    Free Member

Dan on a lot of setups, especially those not using a clutch mech a top only guide isnt enough to ensure the chain will stay on – add a clutch mech and one of these rings and it should be solid.

For long travel trail and am bikes (my kind of thing) thats very welcome,I don’t like lower chain guide rollers as I hate the drag and unreliability.

For the same cost as a standard ring what’s not to like? I wouldnt pay £70 or whatever the wolf one costs no but RF E13 and the works components one I have on order make It a cheap experiment….

svalgis
    Free Member

My guide isn’t any faff but dropping the chain even occasionally is a real pain. Why invite the chances with no guide? I really am skeptical sorry!

My frame offers limited options for chainguides, especially for the size chainring I want, so for me it would be awesome to ditch the guide altogether. I don’t see any reason whatsoever to run anything but a short cage clutch mech on a single ring setup anyway.

If it doesn’t work quite satisfactory, fine, I’ll run a top guide and still be happy with the setup being silent and drag free.

DanW
    Free Member

Dan on a lot of setups, especially those not using a clutch mech a top only guide isnt enough to ensure the chain will stay on – add a clutch mech and one of these rings and it should be solid.

This approach I can understand- using the rings to add even more chain security. Makes sense

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

mrtee – do you have any close up pics of the front ring and general lee rear cassette at all please?

butterbean
    Free Member

I see the RaceFace ones are available now in 30-38t. £50 if that’s your thing.

tehan
    Free Member

these will be available as well very soon.
    http://absoluteblack.cc/xx1-style-shimano.html

Moda
    Free Member

Tehan nice product are you the seller?

Holyzeus
    Free Member

No 30T though it seems. Wolf Tooth now offer free postage

Northwind

First works ones are mailing out, should have mine tomorrow apparently. I am ridiculously excited about this, it’s quite sad.

oxym0r0n

Waited >4 weeks for my wolftooth – got a refund now and ordered a works. Had all my 10 speed kit ready to in for weeks 🙁

tehan
    Free Member

Moda- yes, i am a designer of absoluteBLACK.

30T is sooo uncommon guys. In scope of this thread it looks like it is popular, but in big picture it’s less than 2%. 90% people buy 32T.

I am kind of against 30T for 104BCD. This puts bigger stresses on the crank and chainring. Is very prone to mud as the clearance is soo small and put the chainring 3mm inwards. Not to mention higher price because a need to use thicker plate to mill from (and time).

If you really need to use 30T why not to change the crank?? Sram is a lot better option in that regard. Using spiderless rings gives you freedom of choice + you don’t have to bother about bolts, clearance etc. I am not trying to convince anyone – just giving another point of view. What you guys do now is trying to fit a square peg into the hole. Why?

Pridds

Bought some SRAM cranks so I can get a spiderless 30 tooth one from works (when they machine them). Just seems like a neater solution than all the messing about trying to get a 30 tooth on 104bcd cranks

singlespeedstu

Is very prone to mud as the clearance is soo small and put the chainring 3mm inwards.

The wolftooth hasn’t shown any signs of clearance problems on my setup and it’s about 1mm more inboard than a standard ring which has had no ill effect whatsoever…

Though if you could make a 30T for a lot cheaper that’d be great. 😉

Just seems like a neater solution than all the messing about trying to get a 30 tooth on 104bcd

Bolt Wolftooth on and ride. No messing anywhere. 🙂

tehan
    Free Member

At the moment i have no plans to do 30T. It’s waste of material from reasons i posted before:)
    It can’t be 1mm as it sticks out 2mm (thread extensions) + center of tooth offset. I am not saying it will fail for sure – but that it’s more prone to failure.

I spot one more thing on this thread. It sounds like people are confused with compatibility of 9spd and such chainrings.
    My chainrings can be used wit 1×9/10/11 but in case of 9 you MUST use 10spd chain. Such setup works great and it has been tested extensively with non clutch type rear mech. It just works because our directional tooth shape. So you will not drop a chain.

proflexforever
    Free Member

anyone seen these??
    its a 30t with bash and guide built in…looks like a good idea

Website…its australian

works out about £90 i think

Northwind

Was there not some sort of STW customer service lynchmob thing about the Widgits? Seems a nice idea.

singlespeedstu

It can’t be 1mm

Say’s the man who can’t make one. 😉

Northwind.

Think you’re confusing that with Homebrew.

tehan
    Free Member

on mtbr a lot of people says that it rubs and these “bashrings” are quite prone for bending and breaking. Not my personal opinion but that’s what i read.

Pridds

Not messing about to fit, but to make. The sram spiderless ones just really appeal but I’m sure the wolf tooth ones are great but cost more than a SRAM one from works

tehan
    Free Member

not can’t, but not willing to by purpose. Designing such ring is not even an 1h job if you have all other bits already.
    I owned Extralite ring which was the first one out there back in a day in 30T and it is 2mm to let it work properly. same with WT. 1mm is too small for it.

singlespeedstu

not can’t, but not willing to by purpose.

put the chainring 3mm inwards.

it is 2mm to let it work

You sound confused.

How many more post before you come down to 1mm. 😆

That’s fine though.

I’ll carry on giving my money to someone else while you find the last mill. 😉

tehan
    Free Member

Pridds – mine Sram spiderless works out for 48 plus 2 postage.
    http://absoluteblack.cc/images/sram-pho/1%20sram%20spiderless%20Racing%20Red.jpg

singlespeedstu – i can’t make everything:). I have some rules and am not making things i am not sure of. Sram option is a lot better and lighter AND cheaper in that regards. That is my personal opinion and i fully respect yours.

singlespeedstu

singlespeedstu – i can’t make everything:). I have some rules and am not making things i am not sure of.

I’m just messing.
    Trying to get you to make one for a good price that’s all. 8)

tehan
    Free Member

singlespeedstu – you cut from my post in quote “tooth offset” that makes it for 3mm. I thought it was obvious.

singlespeedstu

*Trotts off to Work Components to get a 30T for Mrs ssstu’s geared bike.*

Even if it is 3mm more inboard it’ll make very little difference.

Pridds

Ordered. Will they be in stock on the 2nd?

njee20
    Free Member

Northwind.
    Think you’re confusing that with Homebrew.

No, there was a Widgit lynching, IIRC someone ordered one, it didn’t fit, Aussie bloke told him to lump it.

singlespeedstu

That was a storm in a teacup.

Thread was started by a mate of mine (Bonesetter).

The Homebrew thread on MTBR was where the real pitchforks were at.

tehan
    Free Member

thank you Pridds. Yes they will. First batch shipping tomorrow (lots of backorders to cover) if something left before next batch (2nd june) you will get it first!

edit- i will actually have one for you this week. Just checked..

Pridds

It not on the site but I have assumed that the spiderless ones are thick/thin as well as directional like the xx1 shimano rings. If they are not then I’ll cancel the order and wait for the works one cheers

tehan
    Free Member

they are not thick-thin. They don’t have to be as i have came up with excellent tooth shape which was tested by XC World Champion Marek Konwa. This just works. I am making on the other hand Shimano thick-thin just because people pressure. They don’t understand main principles why it actually works and why you don’t need really thick-thin profiles. Tooth shape is the main key to it! Thhoth shape is identical on my Shimano and Sram rings – just photos are from last generation ones (new coming soon)

We can make a deal – if it does not work for you then you can return used chainring within a month and get your money back.

Pridds

Fair enough, but won’t have it built up til start of June so a month from then ok?

tehan
    Free Member

sure.
    I will only not accept one totally worn after 2000mil saying “i just done 50:)”
    when you do some miles write me please on the email what you think as i don’t visit this forum everyday.

Pridds

Will do

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 272 total)

The topic ‘Wolf Tooth Components. XX1 type chainring’ is closed to new replies.