Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Windscreen wiper question – potential deadly dull content
  • rascal
    Free Member

Need new set for my Golf – made schoolboy error of prizing one off a frozen windscreen a couple of days ago 🙄
    Is there a go-to brand these days – or any shitty ones to avoid?
    Halfords (remortgage) or independent car accessory shop?

Ta

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Bosch are always very good.

Try eurocarparts / carparts4less

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I’ve always found Bosch ones terrible myself. The aero style appear better than traditional blades IMO.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

It’s the “flat” ones I’ve used, not sure what the others are like though.

dawson

I just use Lucas from wiper blades.co.uk

Tried Bosch, but didn’t think they were anything special

Greybeard
    Free Member

I like the PIAA silicone ones – they form a thin water repelant layer on the screen and the water tolls off, similar to rain-X etc but the wipers renew the coating.

spooky_b329

I’ve tried a range of ebay flat blade styles, the rubber edge doesn’t seem to last very long.

Got some Bosch flat blades this time and they seem much better (and if you have a silly vehicle where the washer jets are on the blades rather than in the bonnet, you can remount the jets on the top side. All the ebay cheapo’s are for left hand drive so the water sprays onto the screen behind the wiper which is rubbish.

Speeder

I like Valeo but I’ve just priced them on Eurocarparts and they’re nearly £50 a set for the front!!!! I paid £26 off eBay last time I bought some.

drewd

I like Valeo but I’ve just priced them on Eurocarparts and they’re nearly £50 a set for the front!!!! I paid £26 off eBay last time I bought some.

Did you apply which ever discount code they had on their home page (currently XMAS17)? Never buy from Euro without using a discount.

Or, as said by GlennQuagmire try carparts4less. They’re the same company as Euro ang usually work out a bit cheaper. They currently have a 14% off sale with code WEEKEND14

I normally use Bosch too.

fossy

Bosch or Valeo – check usual retailers via ebay, amazon, Eurocarparts.

Much cheaper than Halfords.

As said Eurocarparts always send me discounts from around 30-50% so never pay full price.

mattyfez

Bosch are ok, but that’s all they are. I got recommendations from a car forum last time and they are great, but helpfully I can’t remember what make they are for the life of me.

Speeder

drewd – Member
    Did you apply which ever discount code they had on their home page (currently XMAS17)? Never buy from Euro without using a discount.

HA! I didn’t spot that as I went straight to the Valeo page without checking – one set of new blades on the front £23! Bargain. Cheers Drew 😀

ell_tell
    Free Member

I generally buy online from wiperblades

A a set for our Focus were £50 on Eurocarparts, and £22 on wiperblades, so a fair bit cheaper

CountZero

I bought a pair of the new style one-piece aero blades for my Octavia from Halfords, cost around £15, IIRC, a lot more than I was used to paying, but they’re around five-six years old, and still working ok, whereas cheap ones needed replacing every year.

kormoran
    Free Member

whereas cheap ones needed replacing every year.

This. In fact my last Bosch pair have lasted about a year and 10k miles. I reckon I can remember every time it rained too. Utter pants

will give these other brands a look

Poopscoop

Wilco own brand ones last really well when I used to buy them.

Cheap as chips too.

Got Bosch ones a few days ago though. New at least they seem very good. Bit expensive though.

kormoran
    Free Member

Got Bosch ones a few days ago though. New at least they seem very good. Bit expensive though.

Yeah that is my experience out of the packet. They seem to loose their effectiveness and go hard a bit too quick these days. Obviously not up to the shock and awe of lothian sunshine 🙄

stox
    Free Member

Another vote for wiperblades website …

dmck16
    Free Member

Wiper Blades (.co.uk) own brand here. Used them a few years now.

The latest set had an issue – one blade juddered and streaked from new. They sent a replacement out immediately and it is perfect.

Much cheaper than the big brands, and have lasted just as well.

ultracrepidarian
    Free Member

Happy with the Bosch Aerotwins from WiperBlades.co.uk
    Giving the blades and the windscreen a proper clean ever now and then helps immensely.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I just get Bosch form Halfords. People say they’re expensive, but I think my last set cos me about £25. I had the car for 8 years and only replaced the wiper blades once so not really expensive in the grand scheme of things.

On performance, can’t say i’ve ever had a problem with any wiper i’ve had until they start wearing out and the better branded and more expensive ones do last alot longer in my experience. But on performance as someone has said try de-greasing your windscreen every now and again. All the crap on the road gets chucked up to your windscreen including all the oil and other crud that ends up on the road.

Murray

Wiping the blades with a bit of kitchen roll or tissue makes a big difference too!

benz
    Free Member

Was a devotee of Bosch aero for our cars.

However, Michelin hybrid from Costco working as well and much cheaper too.

Clean them every time the cars get washed and replace them once per year. A safety item.

BadlyWiredDog

I like the PIAA silicone ones – they form a thin water repelant layer on the screen and the water tolls off, similar to rain-X etc but the wipers renew the coating.

+1 for the PIAA silicone. Absolutely brilliant, they deposit silicone on the screen so water just beads and runs off at speeds above 50mph or so, below that they still help as the water tends to sit in beads which causes less distortion. Plus they last for ages: if they get dirty, just wipe them down with isopropyl alcohol. And while they’re not cheap, if the blades get damaged and need replacing, you can buy inserts rather than the entire blade and simple replace the silicone rubber part.

I also use 3M glass cleaner on the windscreen occasionally, inside and out, which helps with general effectiveness and gives the silicone a clean surface to sit on. Or something like that, seems to work anyway.

milky1980
    Free Member

Have used Valeo, Wiperblades own brand and Bosch on my car so far and the Bosch were the best by a long way. Just put my second set on this month. The Valeo ones were the worst, they just gave up one day leaving a smear all over the screen after washing the car in the local jetwash! Actually paid less for the Bosch ones than Valeos were last time.
    The best used to be Champion but they seem to have disappeared. Used to get them from MotorWorld but since they went bust everyone seems to stock Bosch or Lucas round here.

It’s usually going through the summer that wears them out, trying to swipe across all those dead flies rips them apart. Winter grit doesn’t seem to have the same effect

Clean them every time the cars get washed and replace them once per year. A safety item.

Mine get changed every MOT, not worth the hassle of eeking a few more months out of them only for them to die mid-downpour.

dhrider
    Free Member

I always use valeo now, Used Bosch aerotwins which were awful!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Windscreen wiper question – potential deadly dull content’ is closed to new replies.