• This topic has 45 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by taka.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Windermere Airshow
  • crazy-legs

It's the Windermere airshow on the last weekend in July (25-26th) but the website ( http://www.windermereairshow.co.uk ) gives no details of timings for the displays, obviously cos they're trying to sell programmes for £15.

Anyone actually know what time the Vulcan, Battle of Britain Flight and Red Arrows will be flying? All I know is that the Vulcan is Saturday, BOB is both days and RA are Sunday (coming from a display over in Newcastle first).

Anyone else off here up in the area for it?

john_drummer
    Free Member

I would be if I wasn't away to Canada

nbt

Certainly considering it, have you made plans yet James? we haven;t booked anything

crazy-legs

we haven;t booked anything

Accomodation in the area is at a premium! We're staying in Windermere itself (hotel in Ambleside I wanted was already full).

clareymorris

Got to be a perfect day for getting out on the bike in Claife Heights!!

nbt

I'd kind of guessed that accommodation would be full. bit tight on cash at the moment so might just pop up for the day. clareymorris, fancy showing Mrs NBT and me around Claife heights? I know a route or two round Jenkin Crag and over towards STaveley, but not familiar with t'other side of the lake

nickc

It's not the most interesting of air displays I've ever seen

clareymorris

nbt I think we could manage a day out with you guys.!

I will just need to confirm with the guys as we are in Yorks the day before but pretty sure we are coming back Sat night as accomodation in or near Ilkley has been impossible to find. Mind you even if we stay over I'm sure we could get back over for a days riding!!

GaVgAs
    Free Member

would have been great to see the Vulcan again,Sunday sounds ok though 🙂

Laterbarrow near claife Heights is a great place to watch.there was lots of people watching from there a few years ago. 8)

clareymorris

I know – gutted that Saturday is Vulcan day but hey Sunday will still be fun 🙂

FoxyChick
    Free Member

Seen this loads of times.
    Best vantage point is Biskey Howe between Windemere and Bowness with a full view of the lake.

clareymorris

Cheers FC will check it out – you going this year?

john_drummer
    Free Member

For ilkley, try Marriot Hollins Hall hotel at Baildon. Less than 15 mins drive away. If you want cheap, Ibis at Shipley

nbt

clareymorris, cheers but if we go up it will be saturday for the Vulcan 🙂

higgo
    Free Member

So… anyone know the programme yet?

clareymorris

Looks like our plans for the weekend have totally changed, so now we will be up there on the Saturday (great for us we can see the vulcan!). NBT do you and MrsNBT still fancy meeting up for a ride?

nbt

clareymorris, will check tonight. will mail you

higgo
    Free Member

Speculation on the timing of the Vulcan display here: http://fightercontrol.forumotion.com/airshows-f1/windermere-25-26-july-t12075.htm

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Got to be a perfect day for getting out on the bike in Claife Heights!!

I'm leading a Claife ride on Saturday 🙂 Meet Far Sawrey village hall 11am

higgo
    Free Member

Where do you get the best view from, Claife Heights or Jenkin Crag side?

(assuming most of the display will be aimed at visibility from Bowness)

p.s. I've since heard the Vulcan will be over Carlisle at 4:50 so I reckon the display will start over Windermere at 5pm. But I could be wrong.

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

Chasing the Vulcan looks more promising than what I had planned, so if anyone wants a ride over Claife, be at Biketreks at 9AM. Will be on both Jenkin Crag and Claife at some point. Bring some money, there's a ferry crossing involved. We should be right under it.

elliptic
    Free Member

Gotta say, it's very kind of them to organise the Vulcan specially for my birthday 😀

higgo
    Free Member

Best vantage point is Biskey Howe between Windemere and Bowness with a full view of the lake

Can you ride up there?

GaVgAs
    Free Member

ChatsworthMusters for your info,I think some of the the path/Road/ Bridleways are closed on the eastern side of the lakeshore,should be ok further up onto Claife though. 😉

"Best vantage point is Biskey Howe between Windemere and Bowness with a full view of the lake"

Its a footpath unfortunatly, 🙁 but not too far from the road 😉

Gary_C

Its a footpath unfortunatly,

It'll be full of Boggies on Sat then……. 😉

nbt

ChatsworthMusters for your info,I think some of the the path/Road/ Bridleways are closed on the eastern side of the lakeshore

Not saying that's not right, but it's illegal to close public rights of way without due legal process, so check with your local rights of way officer tomorrow or friday to make sure – you may have the whole trail to yourself 🙂

stevestunts
    Free Member

Ooh, that's handy! I'm at a wedding on the shores of the lake all day Sunday 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

It'll be full of Boggies on Sat then

we'll be on the other side of the lake 🙂

clareymorris

Just to confirm the Vulcan will be flying between 17:00 and 17:10 🙂

crazy-legs

Thanks Clarey!
    Have a good weekend. 🙂

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

[quoteGaVgAs – Member
    ChatsworthMusters for your info,I think some of the the path/Road/ Bridleways are closed on the eastern side of the lakeshore,should be ok further up onto Claife though. [/quote]

Thanks for that, my route is not exactly "kosher", but does have good views of the lake for most of the day. However if the Vulcan is only coming at 17:00 then I'll be long gone by then.

P20

I'd love to see the Vulcan flying, but i'm on nightshift 🙄
    Anyone else see the V-bombers on More4 last night? Great program: ➡ Clicky ➡ It included the Vulcan with one of the prototype Concorde engines being fired from its bomb bay, something i thought was urban myth 8)

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Someone must have tipped the NHS off about the Boggies riding on Saturday,"Air Ambulance Lands 1315" 😉 (Sorry Nicky)

Saturday 25th July

13.15 – 13.20 Air Ambulance lands.
    13.30 – 13.40 Yakovlevs
    14.15 – 14.20 Jet Provost
    14.45 – 14.50 Red Hawk Motor Glider
    15.30 – 15.40 P-51 Mustang
    16.15 – 16.30 BBMF Spitfire and Hurricane
    16.30 – 16.40 BBMF Dakota
    17.00 – 17.10 Vulcan

Bit more Bumff 😉

Drac

Some aircraft have been flying around here was a fixed wing that seemed land at Boulmer which is most unusual but guess it was a fuel stop.

jonb
    Free Member

Just come back from the Sunderland airshow. I assume some of these planes are just flying straight over as I've just seen them there too. Vulcan is quite impressive.

Drac

Ah! Explains it Boulmer were flying out and hovering acting like a beacon as the aircraft would then follow them into Boulmer was cool.

P20

Saw the Vulcan flying out to sea from Blyth 😀

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Driving back from Claife this afternoon, the tailback on the northbound side of the M6 stretched all the way back to Lancaster! So I guess a lot of those people never got to see the show 🙁

Drac

Yeah might have seen that but too P20 but it clouded over here and the kids started to shiver so it was time to get off the beach. That and our secret beach now seems to have been discovered by chavs who were camping, don't mind the amount of rubbish lying around was disgusting.

crazy-legs

It was HEAVING in Bowness/Windermere but we got to see the Hurrican & Spitfire then about 5.05 or so the Vulcan appeared heading in from the North. Low and LOUD. 🙂

Only 10mins or so but worth every second.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Windermere Airshow’ is closed to new replies.