Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 373 total)
  • Wills and Kate
  • zokes
    Free Member

Jive Honey and a saville link, I just fell off my chair

Yep. Lets just execute anyone who’s been photographed with him, Harris (allegedly?), or any number of fallen stars. Clearly having your picture taken with them, probably whilst meeting them in an official capacity, probably makes you an equally abhorrent individual.

You do realise this rabid republicanism makes a very good argument for keeping the monarchy – you’re hardly painting a picture of a brighter future…

NZCol

I saw her up close the other day and she is a very foxy young thing. Lovely.

anagallis_arvensis

So other than they are nice people or the monarchy is irrelevant or the old classic things are worse elsewhere no one actually is able to put forward a case in support of them?
    Someone asks how I am subjugated well given that Charlie boys letters to the government are not being released the extent may never be known, or how about Anne’s gassing badger bit the other week? At least Will and Kate keep their gobs shut and shake hands I suppose.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Someone asks how I am subjugated well ……………… how about Anne’s gassing badger bit the other week?

Well you should have said that you’re a badger.

I feel your oppression and subjugation.

bearnecessities

Anne’s gassing badger

That’s not very nice.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Poor old AAs a badger – perhaps he would prefer Brian May in charge – a queen for a queen?

Anyway back to the thread title – W&K (&G) seem to be doing a pretty good job done under in republican land. The “misery” of Republicans down there must be in trauma. But hats off to the young ones.

ninfan
    Free Member

no one actually is able to put forward a case in support of them

Yes, the Royal family places our head of state and international representation above short term politics

This is a good thing!

Having the wrong head of state can turn your country into a laughing stock

anagallis_arvensis

So we are back to the “other people are worse” non argument very good. No pro royal type want to comment on Charlies letters to government?

ninfan
    Free Member

Its not a non-argument – its a bloody strong argument why having a head of state that is not elected is a fantastic idea! We need more of this, not less.

Take short term populism, personal gain and a desperate need to win reelection to stay on the gravy train out of politics and we could actually start getting somewhere as a country!

Unless of course you think that all of the actions of recent elected governments have been for the benefit of the people and country as a whole rather than them and their mates and ‘ideological’ party pissing matches 😉

DrJ

Anyway back to the thread title – W&K (&G) seem to be doing a pretty good job done under in republican land. The “misery” of Republicans down there must be in trauma. But hats off to the young ones.

In what way are they doing a “good job”? It’s really bizarre to read such comments. I was living under the impression that forelock-tugging royalists only existed in Hello magazine and on BBC Sunday tea-time dramas, but here they are. Next you’ll be telling me that dodos are strutting round Hyde Park.

DrJ

Take short term populism, personal gain and a desperate need to win reelection to stay on the gravy train out of politics and we could actually start getting somewhere as a country!

Certainly worked out fine for North Korea. I assume you’ll be getting a Prince Charles haircut.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Well the impression that you are living under seems to be a little out of touch – simply look at the reaction to the visit? And in a country that regularly expouses Republican wishes. Do you think all those happy crowds were forced to be there under threat?

As I say a slight trauma for the misery…….how can so many people react in such a positive manner?????

ninfan
    Free Member

I was living under the impression that forelock-tugging royalists only existed in Hello magazine and on BBC Sunday tea-time dramas, but here they are.

I know – just look at what we’ve seen here, with crowds of republicans, clearly marching forward with one purpose towards Buckingham palace:

bruneep

sweepy
    Free Member

If they’re so popular why don’t we just fund them by subscription, you want them you pay?

MSP

Its not a non-argument – its a bloody strong argument why having a head of state that is not elected is a fantastic idea! We need more of this, not less.

So what your saying is that in a country which has pretty much always had an unelected head of state, the solution to the short term governance it suffers would be an unelected head of state?

Maybe you would like to point out all the countries without democracy that are serving their people so well.

Not really thought that one through have you?

Of course there is some merit to the ideal of the benevolent dictator, unfortunate thing with dictators is that benevolence is rarely one of their guiding characteristics, coming some way down the list from greedy insane power hungry self serving murderous twunt.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

anagallis_arvensis – Member
    So we are back to the “other people are worse” non argument very good. No pro royal type want to comment on Charlies letters to government?

You’ve got a very loose tongue for someone who in their own words is “oppressed” everyday.

I can’t figure out if you are taking the piss out of the English language, taking the piss out of people who are genuinely oppressed, or simply so lacking in an intelligent argument that you have to instead rely on the ludicrous.

anagallis_arvensis

Many things now considered morally wrong were once very popular. Lots of rubbish bands get lots of big crowds, big crowds are pretty meaningless many millions more dont go to see Boyzone. That little iris fella seemed to do a good job meeting go queen ie what’s wrong with that system? I’m pretty unclear why are two house system needs a monarch or president anyway.
    Still not seeing any good pro arguments or anyone defending Charlies letters.

DrJ

You’re right. Weird. But I suppose there’s always 10-15% of the population vote for Farage, Le Pem and other nut cases so getting a good holiday turnout should not be a surprise.

anagallis_arvensis

Ernie as I pointed out in my second post there’s more important things to worry about. That doesn’t detract from the fact that as subjects we are oppressed every day. Obviously the level of oppression is mostly symbolic like the monarchy however I firmly believe if something is wrong it’s wrong and what royalty stands for reflects on all of us

ninfan
    Free Member

So what your saying is that in a country which has pretty much always had an unelected head of state, the solution to the short term governance it suffers would be an unelected head of state?

Not really thought that one through have you?

If only there was some sort of third way, with perhaps an unelected second chamber that was made up of hereditary peers, that acted as a revising chamber for the elected politicians, Nah, that would never survive for hundreds of years, and in that time the country could never rise to the forefront of world power and influence, because then the elected politicians would clearly try and weaken its authority over time, with a view to disestablishing it and increasing their own powers,

Of course there is some merit to the ideal of the benevolent dictator, unfortunate thing with dictators is that benevolence is rarely one of their guiding characteristics, coming some way down the list from greedy insane power hungry self serving murderous twunt.

Yes, again we’re into the ‘if only’ land, where experience had taught us that having people win power by force or subterfuge led to power hungry nutters in charge, and in the longer term it was better to have these things settled by heredity… no, that wouldn’t work and could never lead to a few hundred years of peaceful transition of the reins of power, would it?

anagallis_arvensis
    DrJ

ninfan – it’s getting. hard to understand you For my benefit could you possibly mark the ironic bits in bold, or something? Ta.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Ernie as I pointed out in my second post there’s more important things to worry about.

Indeed there are….

Still with the monarchy doing a good job, a religions festival and the economy improving all at the same time, there is plenty for the haters to get agitated about this weekend.

Suns out, time for some tennis….

MSP

it was better to have these things settled by heredity… no, that wouldn’t work and could never lead to a few hundred years of peaceful transition of the reins of power, would it?

Ah yes, life was so good for subjects in those times, a return to the dark ages is what we need, far better than democracy.

Or maybe it is Victorian England and the old fashioned values so popular with soundbite politicians you crave.

Lets just brush over the reality and pretend everyone is well off and valued in those historical periods, ignore the reality that the majority of the population suffered during those times of make believe utopia.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

Suns out, time for some tennis….

You mean time for fox hunting, deer hunting, grouse shooting and a spot of croquet with the corgis, surely? 🙂

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

So, given that Jimmy Savile visited Jersey fairly regularly and was often seen in the company of Royals on the island, just why is it that the home secretary felt it prudent to intervene when a journalist chose to investigate the island?

And why did Jimmy Savile attempt to sue for defamation in 2008 when it was suggested he’d been seen at Haut de la Garenne, only to be forced to backtrack when a photo was produced proving he’d been there…

Now remind me how closely the heir to the throne Prince Charles was to Mr Fix it?

you’re being duped I tells ya

twinw4ll
    Free Member

The working class and the upper class have a lot in common and they don’t spend all their waking lives whinging and whining.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

you’re being duped I tells ya

What about the Yorkshire Ripper connection which you illustrated jivehoneyjive ?

I think it’s obvious that Prince Charles wanted the advice of a serial killer who had plenty of experience in bumping off women when he was planning the murder of Princess Diana.

What do you reckon jivehoneyjive, since you posted the picture of the Yorkshire Ripper you must have an opinion ?

Or don’t you want to go beyond insinuations ?

Junkyard
    Free Member

THM essentially your point is some people, who wanted to see them, went to the trouble of going to see them and were happy to see them….therefore what exactly?

You would get the same if you held a public execution , a cock fight or a street riot in that there London.You seem to have proved that people often do what they like even down under.

FWIW I dont think the republicans on here are helping themselves with their arguments tbh but it is an outdated anachronistic system that enshrines privileged and class.
    Its largely a side show distraction in terms of real democracy but its clear a real democracy wont have hereditary positions.

Imagine the reaction if the EU did this for the head of state

FWIW Thailand is an interesting study in constitutional monarchy and its not the most popular choice for democracy and emerging countries since about the 18th Century tend to not pick monarchs.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

outdated anachronistic system that enshrines privileged and class.
    Its largely a side show distraction

^^ This.

DrJ

The argument is surely simple enough – either you believe that men are created equal, or you don’t. If you do, then you can’t (logically) support the monarchy. If you don’t, then you can approve of the monarchy, slavery, and a host of other inequalities.

ninfan
    Free Member

You would get the same if you held a public execution

Isn’t this one of the strongest arguments against democracy? 63% in favour of death penalty in recent poll!

Coyote
    Free Member

Well put DrJ.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Ninfan scribble with someone else
    You had a brief lapse where you were a useful contributor before reverting to type.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Just in case anyone is heading off topic again they are popular here

Thousands of people have welcomed the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge to Brisbane on day four of their first Australian tour.

Prince William and wife Catherine arrived in Brisbane after earlier being welcomed to Queensland by an honour guard at the Amberley Air Force base.

The Royals took a public stroll down Grey and Russell streets towards South Bank, where adoring fans had been lining up all day, after a reception at the nearby Brisbane Convention Centre.

Looks like republicanism just took another step back over here 🙂

Anyway I’d much rather have a proper head of state who has been well educated and helped to behave properly in front of important people and who knows how to present themselves – and Prince Phillip over some self loving publicity seeking idiot who slimed their way into the job.

The royals do a great job of putting up important people and giving them a slap up tea. Think of them as retained B&B owners.

ninfan
    Free Member

Junky – WTF?

you don’t think that the death penalty is the perfect example of the weakness of democracy? The majority of people are in favour of it, so why don’t we have it?

Or are you just now playing the man with this fake passive aggressive wounded child persona because someone revealed the weakness of your argument, just like Ernie pointed out yesterday?

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/osbourne-says-no-to-currency-union/page/105#post-5940528

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

What about the Yorkshire Ripper connection which you illustrated jivehoneyjive ?

I think it’s obvious that Prince Charles wanted the advice of a serial killer who had plenty of experience in bumping off women when he was planning the murder of Princess Diana.

What do you reckon jivehoneyjive, since you posted the picture of the Yorkshire Ripper you must have an opinion ?

Or don’t you want to go beyond insinuations ?

If that’s your opinion, so be it… seems a touch far fetched to me, especially since there is no proven direct link between big ears and the man charged as the Yorkshire ripper. Anyway, surely he’d distance himself from such an undertaking and use the expertise of other more covert operators to get the job done.

What I can say is body language suggests the power balance in the relationship might not be quite as you’d expect:

And Frank Bruno seems to be pretty strong on his eye contact and have a very precise way of placing his thumb whilst shaking hands…

ninfan
    Free Member

Of course there were no direct links, Peter Sutliffe was a patsy – Charles was the real ripper, easily proven by the fact that

i) one of the murders was near his best mate Jimmys flat
    ii) The press and police never reported that the killer had big ears – because it was an establishment cover up!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What exactly are you on about? The first photo looks staged/planned and I have no idea what sort of body language analysis your are heading for except for finding whatever you can to prove your theories then coming up with ideas as to why the pics match them.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 373 total)

The topic ‘Wills and Kate’ is closed to new replies.