Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Whyte / WTB i29 wheels. How heavy?
  • richmtb

Anyone have any ideas about the weight of these wheels.

For context.

Nice new Whyte S150 has arrived but it’s a bit heavier than the On one Codeine its replacing.

Spec of the two bikes is pretty similar. GX12. Revelation fork etc. They have the same tyres. Main difference is the On one has fancy Mavic Crossmax Pro wheels (non boost so I can’t swap them)

So I think the majority of the weight difference is in the wheels.

I could take the off and weigh them but I can’t be arsed

chakaping
    Free Member

You could swap them between the bikes?

If they are the ST i29 rims they will be on the heavy side (and a bit rubbish).

richmtb

I can’t swap them, the Mavic wheels are non boost. Which is a shame as they are lovely.

They are indeed ST i29 rims

weeksy

Why not just buy a boost offset kit for £5-6 each wheel ?

I’ve done that and works perfectly well.

richmtb

Why not just buy a boost offset kit for £5-6 each wheel ?

I’ve done that and works perfectly well.

Is there not a lot of fiddling round with spacers on the front and potentially re-dishing the wheel on the back involved?

If it does work then I’m all for it, as I really like those Mavic wheels

chakaping
    Free Member

They’d be the first thing on my upgrade list on that bike, for sure.

weeksy

Is there not a lot of fiddling round with spacers on the front and potentially re-dishing the wheel on the back involved?

If you buy some of the end-cap kits then maybe. However the 5mm spacer kits are just that, 5mm each side. It’s so so easy.

richmtb

I get that, and for the front a boost conversion looks really simple: two 5mm spacers and a spacer for the rotor.

But on the rear if you just use two 3mm spacers won’t the cassette end up in the wrong place?

weeksy

I get that, and for the front a boost conversion looks really simple: two 5mm spacers and a spacer for the rotor.

But on the rear if you just use two 3mm spacers won’t the cassette end up in the wrong place?

Good Qn… .I’ve not done mine yet as i am waiting to buy a cassette/freehub for the Pro4, for now i’ve stuck both my Pro4’s on my lads bike…. But i did buy a kit for the rear, but must admit ive not actually given the indexing much in the way of thought.

docrobster
    Free Member

6mm spacer non drive side. Cassette stays in same place.
    Re-dish of wheel may be needed I guess

joebristol

Redishing a wheel is also really easy as long as the nipples aren’t seized. Literally a case of going round one side of the wheel tightening the spokes by 1/4 a turn and then loosening the ones on unhealthy other side 1/4 turn. Repeat until the wheel is on the middle of the swingarm.

richmtb

Thanks guys.

Its beginning to make sense in my head now.

For the amount of money a boost conversion kit costs its probably worth a go before I ditch my nice Mavic wheels

lawman91

They’ll be heavy! I had a set of Raceface ARC30 on the same hubs on my T130C RS and they were 2.1kg and the ST i29 rims are a fair chunk heavier so they’ll be circa 2.3kg at least I would have thought. Swapped to a set of Pro4’s on Arch MK3s at around 1.7kg and it transformed the bike. Try the Crossmaxs and then perhaps look to swap for something lighter

bails

If they’re the same as the ones on the 2019 S120CR then they’re about 2.3-2.4kg. I did the maths and you could save over 600g by getting rid of the stock wheels and NX cassette and replacing them with Stans Arch S1s and a GX cassette.

richmtb

I’ve ordered a boost conversion kit for the mavic wheels. I think they are about 1800 grams so that’s a pretty big weight saving to be had it the boost conversion works okay.

Teapot
    Free Member

2.4kg when I weighed the ones on my S150C RS.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

My personal experience says yes it will. On (11sp) Shimano mech it worked ok, on sram it wouldn’t shift to 42t.

I’d reddish the wheel.

Also re weight

Revelation fork etc

What vintage on the codeine, is it pre the revelation going from being a reasonably light trail fork in its own right being a less good heavier pike?

richmtb

What vintage on the codeine, is it pre the revelation going from being a reasonably light trail fork in its own right being a less good heavier pike?

Yep right enough it is a 32mm Rev vs a 35mm Rev. But i’m fairly confident that (rider excepted) most of the fat is in the wheels

damascus
    Free Member

My experience of boost kits.

I bought the simple spacer set up at first. It is fiddly trying to put the spacer in each side whilst wiggling the skewer through. It’s just as difficult removing the skewer and trying not to drop the little spacers.

As I run hope I put my hand in my pocket and bought the proper hope conversion adapters. It was a straight swop, spacer on the disc and re dished the wheel. In my opinion you can’t tell any difference and they have been spot on.

richmtb

Mavic don’t do boost adaptors unfortunately.

Is there anything to stop me putting a couple of dods of epoxy on each of the spacers so they stick to the hubs?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, they’re heavy. i29s on my Bronson, and they’re not the most robust either, changed back tyre this week, my rim looks like it’s been to a pool party wi Barrymore.

enigmas
    Free Member

2182g with everything off the wheels (2018 CRS).

mboy
    Free Member

They’re not light for sure… Weak link in the spec for definite.

Built some DT 350’s on Raceface ARC30’s with DT Comp spokes for my mates bike recently (his was a T-130 so 650b, but identical spec on the hubs/rims/spokes as the S-150), and imediately saved 1lb off the weight of the bike…

richmtb

Thanks again for the info.

I got my Mavic wheels boosted at the weekend.

I used a simple Velo solutions adaptor kit. Front wheel was a five minute job. Redishing the rear wheel took a bit longer, but it’s now done and despite my hamfisted efforts with a spoke key and dealing with bladed spokes the wheel is actually spinning straight.

Between the wheels and a few other simple parts swaps I reckon I’ve shaved nearly 1kg off the original weight

wors

Thats a bit weight saving! They will be the first upgrade on my 150 for Sure.

richmtb

The wheels were set up with tubes so there was about a 200g saving just in pulling the tubes out and sticking some sealant and tubeless valves in their place.

Mavic wheels were 400 grams lighter than the WTB ones

I also swapped the alloy bar (which was a bit wide for me anyway) for a carbon one and the Whyte saddle for a lighter Fizik one, this was worth about 250 grams.

Pretty happy with it now. Only other thing I might swap is the daft DUB crankset. Its got a standard threaded BB so I think I’ve got some XT cranks and a HTII BB somewhere that will fit

kimbers

I had formula hubs on st i29 on my 29er Kona OEM, they were 2.4kg for the pair, swapped for some xa elites 1.8kg, and it really improved the feel & handling.

jjxray
    Free Member

I have st i29s on my vitus nucleus……..desperately need to change them to save some weight. Unfortunately its a boost front and non boost rear, making buying a set a pain in the arse. May look at the crossmax pro mentioned here or stans…

chakaping
    Free Member

Unfortunately its a boost front and non boost rear

Should be able to pick up separate wheels cheap on eBay or Pinkbike, sometimes cheaper that way as most people are after a pair.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Whyte / WTB i29 wheels. How heavy?’ is closed to new replies.