Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • Why? What’s the point?
  • sharki
    Free Member

What you need to do is to blend in more…

After my very long ride on saturday and stop off in a village pub for a couple slurps, i rode back into town and fancied more, the Pub by the docks let me put by bike in the back room..

Dressed in riding jersey with the words ‘DO YOU?’ printed on the back, baggies, clip clop clipless shoes and reeking of sweat and dust, Not once did anyone choose to take the piss or remark on WTF i was dressed like that for…

But i had many pleasant conversations with various group of drinkers, perhaps i’m more approachable in the real world..

Down here in the SW, Orange people seem to be one of the few things that are in sync with the rest of the country…It always gives me the lolz

trailmonkey

Loving the irony in this. The only difference I can see between the girls and the OP is that they had the nerve to voice their snobbery.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

LOL @ Skarki!
    🙂

And I must apoligise, I have omitted some details:
    It was a fine evening, but we’d come inside after a brief shower. We sat at a table for 3 and spent a long time commenting on an ariel photograph of the pub and the airfield it backs onto. We concluded it was shot in the 80s by the cars on the road. I had a chicken ceasar salad, a cinder toffee cheescake with chocolate sauce and 3 pints of beer. The beer was £3.10 a pint. There was a bloke at the bar with a mullet and a girl sat alone near us then left after appearing to have been stood up. There was a birthday party in the bigger bar, we both took one pee. I was riding a Roatrat, Mrs PP a Trek 7.2 she got on the BTW scheme. We didn’t wear helmets, but we did put our lights on after we left. The bikes were locked to a drainpipe in the beer garden with a Halfords coil lock. I was wearing Oakley shades. My sandals are Birkenstocks, my hoody is light plain brown and came from Gap in a sale in 2007. I don’t recall what shorts I was wearing, but I shall check tonight if that’s OK? It’s 2.74 miles to the pub. We used maily cyclepaths where possible. I spent the whole time in the big ring. There were no other cars at the traffic lights. The name of the car dealers I mentioned is Barons BMW. The nearest pub in our direction of travel is the Alexandra since the Tumbledown Dick shut 2 years ago

I shall post more as I remember.

oldgit
    Free Member

Ladyboyz I reckon.

IanMunro
    Free Member

What star sign are you?

catshoe
    Free Member

Ohhhhh….it’s all become clear now. Birkenstocks you say? Which model?

sharki
    Free Member

Ah that makes things clearer…

You appear to be a complete berk, the girls were friends of your missus and it was a big ploy to see at what level you’d protect her honour, should anyone choose to take the pi$$.

*wink*

BigDummy
    Free Member

You appear to be a complete berk

Ladies and Gentlemen, the dull “thunk” you have just heard was the sound of Peter being smacked in the head with the Bludgeon of Truth. Which hurts. 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Loving the irony in this. The only difference I can see between the girls and the OP is that they had the nerve to voice their snobbery.

Yes I’m sorry.
    I’m also a snob who hates anyone that doesn’t conform to my blinkered view. I also judge people on sight, in an honest manner, and am firm in my belief that likening 3 girls in a pub to members of a succesful pop group, well out of their earshot, is a crime worthy of my subsequent derision. I also admit that remaining silent for the vast majority of the time apart from asking my wife to not get invovled, please (Sorry another bit I forgot, how poor of me) was clearly wrong. Next time I have thoughts about someone’s appearance I shall voice my opinions straight away so everybody knows where they stand from the off. I shall never keep the slightest personal thought quiet ever again. I realise the error of my ways. Nor will I ever pass on any friendly advice. I shall henceforth always admit that everything I post an any internet forum shall automatically be wrong and I will prostrate myself before the superior views of all posters who have a better opionion than me, of my experiences, even though they weren’t probably with 50 miles of me at the time. I’m bad, wrong, stupid, cruel and shallow. Of course I am, how silly of me not to realise this before.

🙄

😉

Harry_the_Spider

Quite right. Now go and thrash yourself with a gripper rod whilst you contemplate the error of your ways.

sharki
    Free Member

That’s it Peter, let it all out…..Feels good yeah?

Now you’re a changed man, i guess you’ll stop wearing the sandals too 😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Ohhhhh….it’s all become clear now. Birkenstocks you say? Which model?

Taupe suede Arizonas, well worn in.
    Please stop asking for more detail!
    😉

You appear to be a complete berk, the girls were friends of your missus and it was a big ploy to see at what level you’d protect her honour, should anyone choose to take the pi$$.

She does kick boxing. She don’t need protecting, just restraining from time to time……
    😉

BigDummy
    Free Member

Do you want us to comment on your semi-fictional and heavily propagandised autobiographical ramblings or not? 🙂

You’ve turned (and I’m sorry I have to say this, because it’s a truly terrible thing to happen to a man) into Glupton. You’ll be telling us next that you’re writing a dissertation on tossers and the internet. 😉

zaskar
    Free Member

Ignore them.

Unhappy with own lives and having ago others to make themselves feel batter.

I wouldn’t wear sandles as they don’t suit me but I imagine they are vented and comfy-who cares or wants to judge other people-must be bored with their lives.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Now you’re a changed man, i guess you’ll stop wearing the sandals too

Of course I shall. I shall forgo the comfort and value of a £50 pair of repairable sandals that last for years and years, and buy some excruciatingly uncomfortable Hugo Boss or similar designer slip-ons for £30 from TK Maxx which will be unfashionable and in the bin in 6 weeks. thereby saving myself £20 a pop…
    Good point well made, thereby saving myself £20 a pop…
    🙂

sharki
    Free Member

But all ladies like to be morally protected and stood up for sometimes.

It’s ok for you to slip on some trousers too you know.

In all seriousness, there are some reet lovely, well educated and morally true people out there…keep ya eyes peeled though..

thepurist

PP

You’re still not ‘fessing up to the whole story, and the ultimate trigger for the girls comments when they saw you. The question that needs answering is… were you wearing long or short socks with those sandals?

MrAgreeable

This completely tallies with my experience of Surrey too. Nice place to live, shit place to go out.

midlifecrashes

So middle aged bloke in pub with wife, not only eyes up the local totty without disguising the fact to his missus, but rubs her nose in it by letting her know how he doesn’t like it how she doesn’t make an effort any more. Wife shows considerable restraint by not pouring her pint over him there and then, but when the girls later spot the sandal wearing lech and have the balls to make their feelings known he blanks them, so they want to push his buttons a bit more and have words with the wife. Wife, unsurprisingly has had enough by then. Surprised you didn’t get the sofa treatment too. But I wasn’t there so I may have got it all wrong. 😆

colonelwax
    Free Member

I got my birkenstocks in TK Maxx. £20. You shouldnt judge me for buying my designer slip ons from there.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

MLC – Oops. Found out.
    😳

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Youngsters in speaking too loudly shocker.

I think its more surprising that you lowered yourselves to confront them tbh. All they did was the same as you but in a louder manner which isnt surprising when they maybe were a little less able to control their drink and maybe in a more boistrous mood (You dont really fit the boistrous mould in your sandals).

You then lowered yourself even further by playing tit for tat name calling.

I probably would have had a little comment about your sandals as well if i had seen you but the difference would be that i would take any retort in jest as well. You see i am old enough to be able to handle name calling from strangers.

trailbreak-martin
    Free Member

PeterPoddy – Member

So it was a lovely Saturday evening and Mrs PP and I thought we’d not sit in front of the TV all night, so we got on the bikes and cycled off to a local pub that’s just been refurbished for a bite to eat and a few shandies. All good. Said pub is fairly posh, some people were dressed up, some dressed down. There were couples on dates, other diners, mates having a laff, birthday parties. It’s a nice spot.
    I’m wearing shorts, a hoody, sandals. Mrs PP similar, but in jeans. (This will be relevant later) Nobody takes any notice of us, we have a nice time, I pass the time with others at the bar. Everyone is happy.
    At one point these three girls totter through the pub – “Ay-up” I whisper “Girls Aloud have just walked in”
    You couln’t miss them. Tiny lycra dresses, massive high heels, fake tan, an inch of makeup, almost identical bleached hair. Not ugly, in fact fairly good looking in an airbrushed-Maxim-photoshoot style, but they’d overstepped sexy and ended up cheap and tarty, but otherwise unremarkable.
    Anyway, they took 10 seconds to walk through the room and were gone, outside. They never saw or heard us in the corner, and I thought no more of it.
    We finished our last beer (DoomBar, if you want to know) and headed off. It was about 9.30pm. Still light.
    Just down the road the road widens and there are some lights. Approaching, the lights turn red and we stop, middle lane (Left lane goes left, wide junction)
    Again you couldn’t miss them but said 3 girls are making their way along the pavement to our left as we slow down….
    (At this point I should say that they were heading into Farnborough, which is pretty much a desert for entertainment: There is only 1 pub within a mile. There are no clubs. From there to town is mainly offices, industrial units, car dealers and car parks. Where they were heading is anyone’s guess)
    As we slowed I heard one of them comment on my footwear. It’s not unusual for a bloke to wear sandals, it’s summer, so what? I didn’t hear every word, but oh yes, I was meant to, and it was insulting.
    I blanked them and ignored it. We stop at the lights.
    Then they started at Mrs PP, but I couldn’t hear a word of it at this point, but Mrs PP, bless her, gives as good as she gets and answered back something along the lines of “At least I don’t look cheap like you”
    I’m trying to stay out of it but Mrs PP can’t and shoots off toward them on her bike.
    ‘Oh nooooooooo’ I think. ‘Screaming match coming up’
    So I follow at a distance, hoping to calm things down…. But, no, Mrs PP just executes a fast, close pass, scares the bejezus out of them and is gone. I’m left to deal with more insults but I don’t stop, I just shoot off.
    On quizzing Mrs PP, apparently they had a pop at her which ended in “….She looks like she’s nearly 40”
    Mrs PP is 38.
    OK, maybe she should have ignored them, but why would 3 strangers start insulting us for no reason? I’ve never seen them before, never really crossed their paths, never said a word….I’ve only come across this once before in a posh wine bar in Reading. On the whole I avoid such places and people like the plague though.
    But why? I really don’t understand……..
    What did they hope to gain?

Seriously? There’s a posh wine bar in Reading?!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

LOL!

Well, it thought it was posh.
    😉

trailmonkey

Yes I’m sorry.
    I’m also a snob who hates anyone that doesn’t conform to my blinkered view. I also judge people on sight, in an honest manner, and am firm in my belief that likening 3 girls in a pub to members of a succesful pop group, well out of their earshot, is a crime worthy of my …………. blah blah blah

Dress it up how you like. You were looking down on them. Your OP spells that out quite plainly. You didn’t like it when the shoe was on the other foot. Karma and all that.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

And now you are doing just the same………And you don’t like being wrong. And you are wrong, BTW.

🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Anyroadup, thanks for the banter this afternoon fellas, it’s been great and I’ve had a giggle.
    Riding home now. Shorts and sandals again……

😀

trailmonkey

And now you are doing just the same………And you don’t like being wrong. And you are wrong, BTW.

Why am I being just the same ? I haven’t accused you of anything that you haven’t admitted to. If you didn’t have a problem with the girls, why did you need to comment on them ? Why do you need to go on in your OP about their appearance ?
    This is like one of those Glupton trolls. Can’t be arsed with you anymore.

juan
    Free Member

We didn’t wear helmets

See See See what happen next time you will wear a foucking helmet FFS..

DrDolittle
    Free Member

I’m also a snob who hates anyone that doesn’t conform to my blinkered view.

I remember the “Kraftwerk incident”. This is a repeat offence. I’m reporting you.

BigDummy
    Free Member

[Chuckles at Dr Dolittle] 😀

djglover
    Free Member

Sandals in the pub is never right TBH, they were probably doing you a favour

This completely tallies with my experience of Surrey too. Nice place to live, shit place to go out.

I don’t think any of this would have happened in Surrey, they probably wouldn’t have let him in in sandals TBH

billyboulders
    Free Member

So let me get this straight, how many pints had you and Mrs PP had before riding home on the public highway? 😉

anagallis_arvensis

I reckon there’s more to this, I mean why post on a chat board. I reckon you secretly wish your missus looked like this or dressed like these girls. Well not to worry when she meets up with me in a posh winebar in Reading she does!!

Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Why? What’s the point?’ is closed to new replies.