Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 100 total)
  • Why the mods should ban people more often, but probably won't!
  • Junkyard
    Free Member

**** you al 😉

Mark

Al,

Once upon a time mods were visible and known. They are volunteers mostly and I decided that moderation should be anonymous when one of our finest mods was treated awfully by a group of users on a ride when they discovered she was a mod. Mods help to maintain this forum for everyone and to have volunteers insulted says more about the minority on forums that I decided they needed some protection from.

Moderation discussion isn’t allowed on the forum because it just results in endless and pointless ranting from not just the moderated but anyone else looking for an argument against what they perceive as ‘authority’.

They moderate anonymously to also reduce the instances of abusive emails and online bullying that they would be subjected to. I only have to look at my own inbox to get an idea of what would happen if moderation was not anonymous. If I was a volunteer and it resulted in the abuse that get to read from my own inbox then I’d not be a volunteer for long.

I’ve learned to ignore (actually laughing at it is a good way of dealing with it) the really awful stuff that gets sent our way, but then I work here so I get paid to deal with it.

Jamie
    Free Member

They are volunteers mostly and I decided that moderation should be anonymous when one of our finest mods was treated awfully by a group of users on a ride when they discovered she was a mod

That true? Daaaaamn. People can be such dicks, sometime.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Given the frankly vile abuse that Mark (And other forum users, I might add) received from a recently banned individual, I can see exactly why this approach is taken.

wrecker
    Free Member

Ah I did wonder how I’ve witnessed someone edit their own post when proved wrong (a day later) before. Totally denied ever having posted it too. He’s not a short chap.

cynic-al
    Free Member

In case I have been misinterpreted, it seems right to me that messages from mods are anonymous, as otherwise it just turns into another bun fight…when you get a warning/ban you feel is unfair you can’t help but argue against it.

FWIW I appreciate the jobs the mods do, it’s thankless but necessary.

But like anyone when I get a warning/ban I feel is unfair, or am warned/banned when other doing the same aren’t, it tends to wind me up, but I do try and walk away.

MrGreedy

No-one posted this yet?

hilldodger
    Free Member

Understand the anonymous thing 100% but does it really help the peace’n’love’n’stuff when mods/owners start gloating on twitter about bans/posts etc 😕

McHamish
    Free Member

I’m not sure that bans mean much to be honest…

I was banned last year for ‘swear filter avoidance’ (ie I added the astrixes myself).

However I see other regular posters committing the same henious crime with impunity.

I’m assuming it depends on who you are.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Do they actually do the twitter stuff mentioned above?
    I thought they did over fred but do they do it regularily?

I only have to look at my own inbox to get an idea of what would happen if moderation was not anonymous. If I was a volunteer and it resulted in the abuse that get to read from my own inbox then I’d not be a volunteer for long.

I’ve learned to ignore (actually laughing at it is a good way of dealing with it) the really awful stuff that gets sent our way, but then I work here so I get paid to deal with it.

I will pay extra to my premier account to read them if that helps

wrecker my e-mail is in profile name names
    I can guess from your clue but knowledge is power and all that

Ps shameful to moan at a mod I would not do it on a ride …I have ridden with people I dislike more than mods and I am not sitting at the back with the slowcoaches to chat with them 😈

I was banned last year for ‘swear filter avoidance’ (ie I added the astrixes myself).

yes me to for substituting the ss in piss for the number 5 even though you can type the word piss
    I pointed out that this was rather harsh

bullheart
    Free Member

Understand the anonymous thing 100% but does it really help the peace’n’love’n’stuff when mods/owners start gloating on twitter about bans/posts etc

+1

Although as Al said, it is a thankless task. Interestingly, a strategy might be to allow repeat offenders to take a role in moderating; this type of restorative justice works well in school-based forums, and helps to develop an empathy amongst habitual ‘offenders’ with the regular moderators.

It would require a leap of faith though…

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Blimey. I’ve never thought to get upset with the moderators. Name and shame I say.

Oo Oo Oooo Pick me, pick me!

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Brilliant! Give Fred the job. I’d buy that for a dollar. 😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

I am happy to take part in the experiment suggested by Bullheart
    E-mail in profile ..perhaps TJ and i can waste our time arguing over who deserves a ban?

Oh hold on they would know it was me from the mispelts reason

woolfart you have been binned for repat forum abuse

cynic-al
    Free Member

Good idea, bullie!

wrecker
    Free Member

yes me to for substituting the ss in piss for the number 5 even though you can type the word piss
    I pointed out that this was rather harsh

That is brilliant.

bullheart
    Free Member

woolfart

😀

Cougar

They moderate anonymously to also reduce the instances of (abuse)

See, I wondered that, then I figured, if you’re going to be abusive to the moderators, then you’re a dirtbag and not welcome here anyway?

I take the point though, and it does make sense, though it saddens me that it’s necessary.

Mark

Not a chance – to the appointing the worst offenders as moderators. This site is as important as the mag in terms of bringing home the bacon that pays the wages of the dozen or so people who work here. It would take more than a leap of faith to justify handing over the controls like that.

As for the ‘gloating’ on twitter. If anyone is insecure enough to decide the way to react to moderation is by emailing us frankly legally reportable abuse then MTFU when you get discussed on twitter.

bullheart
    Free Member

Good idea, bullie!

Apparently not. 🙄

Junkyard
    Free Member

Why discuss it on twitter ?

Surely this is the place to moan about this place?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Sorry gut discussing it on twitter make everyone involved look bad, especially stw staff.

Mark

I disagree.

zokes
    Free Member

Surely everyone, Mark included, should be serving a ban for discussing moderation decisions on the forum? 😉

druidh
    Free Member

FWIW, I’m with Mark on this one. I thought that seeing the bile being posted was, err, “instructive” in forming an opinion on the rights and wrongs of the situation.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

zokes – Member
    Surely everyone, Mark included, should be serving a ban for discussing moderation decisions on the forum?

I keep hitting the “report post” button, but nothing’s being done about it! 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

I think it was fair to air stuff but it seems better to air STW stuff on stw that is all

Ps can I really realy see the e-mails – just block out the names I bet they are amusing…I will accept this for compensation in not being allowed to be a mod

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’d ban ’em all.

Welcome to the SouthernYetiWorld.

I will accept this for compensation in not being allowed to be a mod

I’d let you moderate on my forum Junky, or at the very least I’d give you a free stickre.

Mark

Ah I see, like if you were given a hard time at work by a colleague or a client you would post about it on the work forum?

And no, you arent getting to see the emails 🙂

wrecker
    Free Member

I liked the twitter stuff. It was like a treasure hunt to find it, with tantalising mentions and quotes on here. Bit exciting like. 😀

zokes
    Free Member

Ah I see, like if you were given a hard time at work by a colleague or a client you would post about it on the work forum?

It doesn’t often end too well when someone in that situation posts on social networking sites, that’s for sure…

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Now then girls, calm down calm down….

Mark

Twitter is where I can post statements, comments, rants that I don’t necessarily want a reply from. It’s often a cathartic release from the daily grind of life. That wouldn’t work on here… Good grief no! 🙂

MrWoppit
    Free Member

It’s often a cathartic release from the daily grind of life.

… and there was me thinking it was all about telling the world you were about to make a cup of tea…

yunki
    Free Member

that whole fiasco was just a smart bit of guerilla marketing.. twitter were paying fred and mark 7p per sign-up.. I saw the emails describing the contract on bebo..

Junkyard
    Free Member

Damn you and your clever arguing ..I realised after i asked why it would be stupid and just decend into an argument between you and the other fan boys.
    It would be very entertaining though. 😛

And no, you arent getting to see the emails

Spoilsport

We could use it as a test of my integrity to be a mod [ runs of to check twitter ]

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Mark’s world:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6P2iUJucbk4[/video]

Mark

Shhhhhh now Yunki

MrsToast
    Free Member

Bunnyhop should make special STW handbags for forum disputes! 😀

derekrides
    Free Member

Well, like the OP, it finally helped me, I’ve managed more than a month off and can get through the day without posting quite often, wouldn’t say I was cured, but well on the way, all thanks to enlightening a pseudo big hitter as to his low self esteem. I deserve and have awarded myself a medal..

+1 on the bragging on twitter, it is also a fair indicator of a persons character flaws…

Then we are all human and not without issues or we wouldn’t be here flag waving…

Banning yourself however does bring back a sense of self control and depowers those who you would consider lessor beings..

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 100 total)

The topic ‘Why the mods should ban people more often, but probably won't!’ is closed to new replies.