Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Why don't we decimalise time?
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

60 seconds, 60 minutes, 24 hours, 7 days, 365 days, 52 weeks.
    Can’t we get modernised or would it be too complicated? 😉

Stoner
    Free Member

Because the babylonians were right.

Base 60 rools!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Brexit, innit.

kelvin

We did.

People rejected it.

SaxonRider

Not everything works in tens. It’s a very revolutionary, republican thing to assume that it should/could.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

My guess is that it would be fairly complicated to alter the earth’s orbit round the sun. Yeah but apart from that……good idea!

scotroutes

There’s nothing we can do about the number of days in a year. The rest is pretty arbitrary though.

frogstomp

I think I heard that that’s going to be the main feature of the next Apple watch..?

julianwilson
    Free Member

They had a go at it in post revolutionary France (late 1700s) -the 10 month calendar and 10 day weeks lasted for a few years but the clock never properly took off.
    Plus we would have to change units of speed for vehicles/travel and also music, computer/electronic ‘clock’ etc.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

There’s nothing we can do about the number of days in a year. The rest is pretty arbitrary though.

We could have 100 weeks in the year and 10 weeks in a month?

Rubber_Buccaneer

No problem, just google stardate converter

funkmasterp

Why would we when it works fine as it is?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Bin done in part. ( I actually bought one of the Swatches 😳 ).

https://www.timeanddate.com/time/internettime.html

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

but the clock never properly took off.

What did it need?

julianwilson
    Free Member

Oh also Swatch tried something like it a number of years ago too: ‘ internet time’ I think they called it.

chvck
    Free Member

Some people still use imperial for weight etc… and we still use it for roads. Imagine the chaos when one set of people are using 60 minute hours and another 10 minute hours!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Easy, just have new minutes and new hours.

jam-bo

I use serial time quite a lot working with time series data. Number of days elapsed since a defined start date and then the decimal fraction of a day.

ChrisL

60 seconds in a minute, 60 minutes in an hour and 24 hours in a day are pretty good quantities. It’s easy to calculate a half, a third and a quarter of each of those periods. All that base 10 values are good for are dividing by 5 – and 60 handles that too.

I know that some argue for calendar revision though, and there seems to be a bit more of a point to that. One complaint is that the quarters in a year are different lengths to each other. Monkeying around with the length of a week would be very perilous though – any change to the weekdays/weekend ratio would be guaranteed to piss off many people.

joshvegas
    Free Member

and we still use it for roads

For using roads.

Not for designing building or maintaining them.

bikebouy
    Free Member

We’d never get the Brexiteers on board, maybe when time turns to dust they’ll realise.

jambalaya
    Free Member

What Chris says, its about division. All originates from navigation and that to the stars, orbit and the moon. You can study the phases of the tides too. All divides by 6ths quite nicely.

SaxonRider

Not when you have not choice but to factor a series of 24-hour cycles into 365.25, it isn’t.

Drac

What did it need?

A conveyor belt.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I use serial time quite a lot working with time series data. Number of days elapsed since a defined start date and then the decimal fraction of a day.

Wierdly, if you use excel long enough it starts to look right.

any change to the weekdays/weekend ratio would be guaranteed to piss off many people.

True, but I think there could be advantages if employers could be encouraged to abandon the traditional 5 on 2 off pattern. You could simoultaneously have GP’s working every day (same number of hours per year, they’d just be working a different ratio of on/off days), at the same time everyone else’s work get’s spread out over weekends as well. So people can also see their GP in the week too.

Quieter weekend trails.

Less of a staffing issue for retail (who need everyone in work, when everyone else isn’t).

Quieter roads.

No idea what you’d do about schools though.

ade9933
    Free Member

If bike manufacturers made watches you can bet they would! They’d have at least 3 time standards.

Most people would frown upon digital watches

1/2 of us would try and build our own in rejection of the whole charade.

A select few would wear grandfather clocks on their wrists because they are better in the snow.

Every watch club would have at least 1 member who still wore a sun dial on his wrist.

P-Jay
    Free Member

We could have 100 weeks in the year and 10 weeks in a month?

3.6 day weeks, or 7.5 seasons a year?

We could have 36 weeks a year, but they’d be 10 days long, the Tories and UKIP would no doubt call for a ‘traditional’ 2 day weekend, that’d be shit – 8 days in work on the bounce. We’d also need a ‘leap’ 5 days at the end of the year to keep the seasons static.

The most logical way to do it would be 5 day weeks, 73 weeks a year, 14 months a year of 5 weeks each and write off 3 weeks at the end for ‘Crimbo’ – which is 15 days which is roughly how long it last now. It doesn’t seem massively metric though sadly.

Now all I need to do is get every country on earth to agree with me – piece of piss.

scotroutes

50% of us purlease!

ade9933
    Free Member

50% of us purlease!

lol

mattsccm
    Free Member

I say we should abandon the whole idrea of months and weeks. Old fashioned idea encouraged by euro types like the Greeks and Romans . That way we could divide our lives into chuncks to suit ourselves. Base 8 for me.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

P-Jay – Member

The most logical way to do it would be 5 day weeks, 73 weeks a year, 14 months a year of 5 weeks each

I’m not sure you’ve fully grasped this decimalisation malarkey.

tjagain

I always liked the idea of 12 x 30 day months and 5 ( or 6) day year end holiday / festival

sirromj

What Chris says, its about division.

Damn you now I’ve just wasted an hour trying to find a c program I once wrote to calculate the smallest integer divisible by all in range 1-n. Couldn’t find it or remember how to implement it (not a maths genius obvs). Was going to add a further condition to it: the number must also have an integer square root – the square root would then become the new number of seconds in a minute, minutes in an hour. Or something.

matt_outandabout

Does this mean my compass will be in 100* increments rather than 360*? Or 1000 instead of 6400mils?

maccruiskeen

60 seconds in a minute, 60 minutes in an hour and 24 hours in a day are pretty good quantities. It’s easy to calculate a half, a third and a quarter of each of those periods. All that base 10 values are good for are dividing by 5 – and 60 handles that too.

Thats true of all the imperial measurements really- they start from a whole and divide it up- so the increments used are based on physical actions to portion something out whether its cutting a pound of cheese into portions or whatever – every time you half it you arrive on a whole unit. If you’re using decimal units you can only half things a few times before you get into funny fractions – 10 – 5 – 2½ – 1¼ – ? …. who’s got a ? button on their keyboard? – or a mark on their tape measure at ?cm?

So imperial units are derived from physical devisions of ‘stuff’ where as decimal works better as a means of adding things together or counting things out.

Our increments for time are based on manually dividing up a circle and treating that circle as representative of a whole day, or whole hour or whole minute- you can draw a circle and without adjusting the compass quickly divide it into 6 perfectly equal parts – they give you a datum for all the subsequent divisions and do all that accurately and precisely at any scale – whether you’re making a 12 hr clock face or a 60 second stopwatch or a 360° protractor.

There’s nothing stopping you from counting time in decimal. I can give you a 10 second head start or record a mix tape on a 90 minute cassette or speculate what the president will do in his first 100 days in office. But ‘telling the time’, rather than specifying an amount of time, works better in base 12 / 60

epicyclo

ade9933 – Member
    If bike manufacturers made watches you can bet they would! They’d have at least 3 time standards.

Most people would frown upon digital watches

1/2 of us would try and build our own in rejection of the whole charade.

A select few would wear grandfather clocks on their wrists because they are better in the snow.

Every watch club would have at least 1 member who still wore a sun dial on his wrist.
    Who cares about decimalising time scales when there’s watches for singlespeeders?….

BigJohn

It’s too late to do it now because all the Strava times would need re-calibrating. Or the world would be destroyed by everybody trying to get the KOMs.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

OP you’re welcome to come and tell my wife that she has to decimalise her manstural cycle because her non decimal monthly cycle is a bit inconvenient for your mental arithmetic. I just don’t want to be in the vicinity when you do.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I can give you a 10 second head start or record a mix tape on a 90 minute cassette

ah the mix tape. What a shame.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzQwbRdh5Ts[/video]

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Why don't we decimalise time?’ is closed to new replies.