• This topic has 79 replies, 41 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Taff.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • Why does no one say thank you anymore?
  • BigJohn

When I let somebody out, or let them turn right in front of me, I get a bit fed up if they then spend the next 3 seconds waving and smiling INSTEAD of getting a move on.

elaineanne
    Free Member

dont let them out anymore then… 😉 :mrgreen:

BigJohn

That would be mean.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

spend the next 3 seconds waving and smiling INSTEAD of getting a move on

God… I know what you mean. At the end of your life, that could end up being a whole hour or so of your life wasted with being smiled at!

BigJohn

I’d prefer them to smile and drive.

Reminds me of Gerald Ford. The real quote was he couldn’t chew gum and fart at the same time.

Wozza
    Free Member

I drive a BMW and I’ve noticed…

A. People don’t take you seriously when you flash them into your lane, you have to do it twice.

B. They don’t say thank you as often as when I drove the Volvo, even though my driving hasn’t changed.

When I let somebody out, or let them turn right in front of me, I get a bit fed up if they then spend the next 3 seconds waving and smiling INSTEAD of getting a move on.

I don’t expect them to throw me a party, but it’s a nice gesture to raise a hand off the wheel or a foot off the pegs.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

They do up here. I bet the OP is in the south east

robbo1234biking

TJ – Bedfordshire – everyone must be a bit grumpy around here then. Ill have to move further North!

Three_Fish
    Free Member

dont let them out anymore then..

No!!!!! That’s how it just gets worse. The logical progression is that, eventually, nobody is courteous.

You can guarantee that for every three people you let out at a junction, one of them will do the same for somebody else. That’s one more person than would have had you not done it yourself. And so what if they other two don’t? Or don’t say thanks. At least the people behind them got to move a bit quicker. It’s all about helping the flow – of traffic and of love.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jc-EdW1amwg[/video]

stumpy01

Can’t say i’ve noticed it anymore or less depending on where i am in the country as a proportion of the people who do/don’t.

But there’s less cars/people so perhaps less incidences of it.

Down near London/SE the traffic is so dense that you do have to maintain a bit of a ‘outta my way, coming through’ mentality or you’d get nowhere. Although that doesn’t mean you should be rude at the same time.

binners

I was on the way into work a couple of months ago and let somebody filter into traffic in front of me. Next thing a little LED display lit up with the words ‘thank you’ in his back window

Made me smile 🙂

stumpy01

binners – Member
    I was on the way into work a couple of months ago and let somebody filter into traffic in front of me. Next thing a little LED display lit up with the words ‘thank you’ in his back window

Made me smile

I was gonna mention in my post above about getting one of those. Firebox used to sell them (I think) with a remote & something like 16 slots for phrases that you could program in.
    You could have a combination of ‘thanks’, as well as useful phrases & probably some insults to people who wound you up. Just have to make sure you pressed the right one at the right time!!

Kevevs
    Free Member

Thank you for waiting. Would you like a bag for life?

Cougar

On the moving over for motorbikes thing… Is it just me or does anyone else think that it is dangerous?

Example – car moves over, bike assumes it is safe to overtake

Bikers don’t assume things, generally. The ones that do tend not to be bikers for long.

In the situation described here, you can’t even rule out the driver moving back to the centre of the road intentionally in order to push you into oncoming traffic ‘for a laugh.’ Ever moved over to let a biker past and they’ve nailed it to get in front of you as quickly as possible? You’ve probably sat there and thought “tosser,” but that’s why they do it.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Agreed Cougar – but I guess I drive like that so there is no margin for misunderstanding. I try to drive courteously at all times but I do try to let all other drivers/riders make their own decisions and not be influenced by anything I am doing/they think I might be doing.

Kevevs
    Free Member

when I’m doing donuts in McDonalds car park in my saxo, I always wave and say hi to my mates, and thank them for their appreciation of my driving skilz. If they can hear me above my bangin tunes and bucket exhaust.

richmtb

I think most drivers etc are still courteous, you just tend to remember people who don’t acknowledge or thank you more, i know I do.

But we have a wierd dichotomy here in the UK. We are generally considered the most courteous drivers in Europe but at the same time we also have the worst record on road rage

Cougar

We are generally considered the most courteous drivers in Europe

To be fair, that’s like arguing that Goebbels was one of the nicest chancellors of the Third Reich.

bellerophon
    Free Member

Seems polite enough up here, I’ll acknowledge a thank you, just seems right

takisawa2

But we have a wierd dichotomy here in the UK.

Is that some kind of operation ? 😀

I used to moan about other folk being grumpy etc, until I experienced the kindness of complete strangers when we had a nasty car accident a year or two back. People going completely out of their way to help. Restored my faith somewhat.

molgrips
    Free Member

Down near London/SE the traffic is so dense that you do have to maintain a bit of a ‘outta my way, coming through’ mentality or you’d get nowhere. Although that doesn’t mean you should be rude at the same time

I’ve found that in London and nearby people ARE still courteous but it’s a much tighter game. People will ease up to create just a tiny gap and expect you to take it. It’s necessary because traffic is so dense. You can’t hang about, likewise you can’t become intimidated or annoyed by everything happening quickly.

But we have a wierd dichotomy here in the UK. We are generally considered the most courteous drivers in Europe but at the same time we also have the worst record on road rage

I am forming a theory that it’s because we care more – about other people, but also when we think other people have inconvenienced us. My experience in the US and Germany is that people are generally just blank. You don’t get favours of people, but you also don’t get aggro. People just drive around blankly on autopilot. You don’t get thanked but you don’t get aggro either – blank looks all round. I dunno which is worse. At least in the UK we tend to be concentrating.

grum
    Free Member

Can’t say i’ve noticed it anymore or less depending on where i am in the country as a proportion of the people who do/don’t.

But there’s less cars/people so perhaps less incidences of it.

I think that’s it though, I don’t really think it’s some innate character of people in a certain area – but business breeds unfriendliness.

It’s like when you go out walking in the Lakes or whatever. When you are in Ambleside, you don’t say hello to every single person, but out on the fells when there’s less people about you probably will. If you get somewhere really remote and see another person you’d probably stop and have a chat with them.

Woody
    Free Member

I find that mouthing the word “bollox” gets a more interesting response.

Not as interesting as if you blow them a kiss 😉

I get thanked quite a lot up here in the NE and I have noticed that men are far more likely to do so than women. Whether that is because they are more polite, or simply because they have actually realised you have given way/done them a favour, is debatable. The look on some womens faces says it all ie. I don’t care/haven’t seen you/I’m busy on the phone 🙄

richmtb

I have noticed that men are far more likely to do so than women.

Controversial, but probably true

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Especially women driving Q5s, X3s etc…. 👿

donsimon
    Free Member

I have to say driving in London was agreat experience, a question of standing your ground rather than bullying and being rude.
    Strangely you can see differences culturally, and here the middle finger is generally used as a sign of appreciation.
    Also when on holidays you can call the waiters in Spain “capullo” (ca-poo-yo) as well as camarero.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Tell you what really boils my piss – when someone asks for advice on here, you respond (with what you think is good advice) and they don’t even bother to say thank you.

emma82
    Free Member

I always say thank youbut I do have a friend who doesn’t take the slightest bit of notice of someone being helpful or kind, she just assumes people are being weird if they are nice. Strange way of looking at things. I like being nice, people are usually nice in return then.

catfood
    Free Member

People who dont say thanks when you stop for them at zebra crossings annoy me, just a nod or a wave will do, I wind the window down and shout your welcome to them. My son is only two and he always thanks people who stop for us, good manners are free and a little politeness goes a long way.
    I have noticed that bikers dont wave as much these days when you move over for them, I rode a bike for 15 years or more and I always thanked people who moved over.

iDave
    Free Member

I took my (English) kids to Donegal at easter and they commented how everyone is much friendlier. Strangers say hello, thank you, stop to ask if we needed directions etc.

Cougar

People who dont say thanks when you stop for them at zebra crossings annoy me

I appreciate a wave at a crossing but I treat it as a Brucie bonus rather than expect it. They have right of way, expecting a ‘thanks’ would be like expecting a thanks from crossing traffic after I’d had to stop for a red light. When I’m on a crossing I’ll usually wave, but because I’m generally amiable rather than out of any sense of obligation.

Still, be boring if we were all the same.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

now whenever i see a woman coming i hold the door shut and shout “i dont want you to think i’m sexist!” through the door

That’s class!

Peoples behaviour seems to vary from place to place. Where I live folk are generally friendly if you let them out but almost everyone has an inability to signal at roundabouts which is a right pain. I’ve found that the bigger the town/city the more people seem to hate each other.

I went to London once and it was brutal, I was getting barged about like a skittle on the pavements. I think the trick there is to not try to get out of peoples way but to aggressively stand your ground and slap anyone who gets in your way.

philconsequence
    Free Member

I appreciate a wave at a crossing but I treat it as a Brucie bonus rather than expect it. They have right of way, expecting a ‘thanks’ would be like expecting a thanks from crossing traffic after I’d had to stop for a red light. When I’m on a crossing I’ll usually wave, but because I’m generally amiable rather than out of any sense of obligation.

+1

right of way innit, still… a polite wave and smile makes the world a nicer place.

robbo1234biking

Whilst on the subject of level crossing I hate the drivers who drive through even though they can see someone waiting. I know in theory the rule is if a foot it on the crossing but someone is going to risk pushing their pushchair into the road to force cars to stop. Cars should be more courteous and if they can see someone waiting stop. This seems to be the minority now though. Half the time however I am not convinced drivers are actually looking for dangers at the side of the road and just what is on their satnav

rewski
    Free Member

I took my (South East) kids to Glasgow at easter and they commented how everyone is much friendlier. Strangers say hello, thank you, stop to ask if we needed directions etc. Then I realised they we’re all drunk, high on cheap smack or were getting ready to mug me.

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t think people are actually rude in London, they just have different customs that’s all. You might get the hump if you’re not used to it I suppose.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

I took my (South East) kids to Glasgow at easter and they commented how everyone is much friendlier. Strangers say hello, thank you, stop to ask if we needed directions etc. Then I realised they we’re all drunk, high on cheap smack or were getting ready to mug me

‘Glasgow was named the murder capital of Europe and Britain’s friendliest city all in the same week. You might get stabbed but at least you’ll get directions to the hospital’ (Kevin Bridges)

CHB

Most drivers in Leeds and Harrogate are polite enough. Plenty wave to say thanks and even the Audi drivers leave a couple of feet between their bumper and yours.
    Must be a darn sarf ingnorance thing.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Plenty wave to say thanks and even the Audi drivers leave a couple of feet between their bumper and yours.
    Must be a darn sarf ingnorance thing.

wtf…….I’m constantly waving at other drivers 😕

[img]http://www.illogicopedia.org/images/thumb/3/38/Wanker_gesture_from_wikipedia.jpg/100px-Wanker_gesture_from_wikipedia.jpg[/img]

Taff
    Free Member

I hate people who don’t say thank you but I get annoyed if they dont acknowledge it too

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘Why does no one say thank you anymore?’ is closed to new replies.