Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • why do people stand in the garden revving their shit motorbike
  • mickmcd
    Free Member

I could understand it if it was a weapon but its a 125

is there a reason the bloke has done a full shift (8 hours of) revving the ****ing thing on and off or is it a rite of passage

its like the call of the **** wild one does it then the next door neighbour to him rolls his thunderchops out into the world and does the same

just puzzled , hopefully some scrote will steal the **** thing tonight

funkmasterp

My friends father has an old BSA road rocket. I’ll ask if you can borrow it. The thing shakes the street when revved up. Beat them at their own game, the dickheads.

binners

Nah,…. you want an old 350 LC with a pair of Allspeeds

mickmcd
    Free Member

My friends father has an old BSA road rocket

this you would understand.

oldtalent
    Free Member

People with noisy motorbikes are generally antisocial ****. I used to be one, but am slightly less of a **** these days.

Quite happy for them to end up a smear on the tarmac. Those with stock pipes are ok.

matt_outandabout

Even out on open road, the volume is OTT. I was at Geldie Lodge last weekend and could hear bikes up near Aviemore…

somafunk

why do people stand in the garden revving their shit motorbike

Because = Dicks

I could say the same for the dick who moved into my area recently, he bought himself a chainsaw and set-about cutting down all the small trees in his garden, i could hear the saw getting stuck as he was using it so i went round full of good intentions and offered to show him how to tension the bar, sharpen the chain,safe working practice etc but he politely told me “**** off, i know how to use a chainsaw”, obviously not i thought but i left him to it.

Cue to last night when i heard the saw spluttering into life after 7pm, however it soon stopped, followed closely by screams then followed by the sirens of an ambulance – the chain had snapped and thrown itself around his arm as he was cutting a bush above his head, if the gossip around the area is anything to go by the damage is from severing his own arm to loosing a few fingers.

**** him, darwinism in action in my opinion, thankfully nice and quiet/peaceful t’night

seosamh77
    Free Member

if the gossip around the area is anything to go by the damage is from severing his own arm to loosing a few fingers.

so he’ll have snapped a finger nail then? 😆

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I could understand it if it was a weapon but its a 125

See also 125’s with big end cans.  Their poor CB125 now sounds like 1/4 a CBR, without the intake noise to go with it, and they’ve probably lost power owing to the complete lack of back pressure.

OTOH I’d rather they were tinkering and being mechanically minded than on a playstation or getting stoned.

Caher

Hire a pneumatic drill for the weekend.

FuzzyWuzzy

I live in a coach house (flat above 3 garages), one neighbour/garage owner is nuts about bikes and services/tunes them – only he does it inside his garage which magnifies the sound (and usually on weekend mornings). I quite like the sound of engines but ffs there’s not much more annoying a sound than a constantly revving engine that your brain can’t adapt to and tune out. I’d go and have words but I figure there’s not really anywhere else he can do it and I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt he’s not trying to be deliberately annoying.

Joys of joys I got a new neighbour (different side, has one of the other garages) a few weeks ago and he likes fixing up cars so now my flat has stunk of diesel on a few occasions after he’s had an engine out and stripped it down. At least his fixer-upper cars don’t run, yet.

Bring on the zombie apocalypse…

weeksy

I quite like it 🙂

I have multiple motorbikes, but i only start them when i’m using them.

angeldust
    Free Member

I could say the same for the dick who moved into my area recently, he bought himself a chainsaw and set-about cutting down all the small trees in his garden, i could hear the saw getting stuck as he was using it so i went round full of good intentions and offered to show him how to tension the bar, sharpen the chain,safe working practice etc but he politely told me “**** off, i know how to use a chainsaw”, obviously not i thought but i left him to it.

Cue to last night when i heard the saw spluttering into life after 7pm, however it soon stopped, followed closely by screams then followed by the sirens of an ambulance – the chain had snapped and thrown itself around his arm as he was cutting a bush above his head, if the gossip around the area is anything to go by the damage is from severing his own arm to loosing a few fingers.

A touch of schadenfreude?

**** him, darwinism in action in my opinion, thankfully nice and quiet/peaceful t’night

Dickyboy

Sensible hat answer

“Balancing carbs” could be one legitimate excuse, although that shouldn’t take very long otherwise engine temp will be too high for good result.

almightydutch
    Free Member

I was cleaning my carb yesterday on one of my bikes, foolish not to start it up afterwards and check settings.

10 mins of running and I was done. The smell of 2 stroke lasted a while longer on my clothes so all was good.

All day?? Either really shit mechanic or the bike has major issues. (or just a numpty)

timbog160

Being a 125 I doubt if balancing carbs was the issue.

I’d probably offer to help.

Beagleboy

Our neighbour two doors up from us, restores motorbikes and sells them from the garage he’s built out of corrugated steel in his back garden. He waits till it’s the nicest weekend day of the year (generally not that many of them in Stirlingshire) before revving the damn things up. I had words with him about it in front of his wife recently and he’s calmed it down a lot.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

One thing that strikes me, particularly this time of year is peoples need to rev motorcycle engines as if they will never tick over by themselves.

I used to be a motorcyclist for many years, it was my only form of motorised transport through my 20’s and 30’s and had many bikes from TZR 125 to Ducati’s. They all were perfectly capable of ticking over, yet the majority of motorcycle owners will have you believe that that engine continually needs to be revved aggressively in order to keep the poor old thing going. They do not.

mickmcd
    Free Member

A stream of people really all day turning up, he washed it  took some panels off then as one person after the next turned up he’d start it sit on it and rev it  then they would tinker then one would bugger off, power valve mentioned  lots and more revving

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>today he seems to be alarming the garage to protect said device</span>

no revving keep hearing that going off as he opens and closes said doors

maybe it’s his revenge I did tell him there was a hosepipe ban on while he was washing this tiny bike as a joke only to find him watering the garden at midnight last night,  pitch black it was 😁

martinhutch

Revenge is fitting your knackered old Shimano calipers and riding up and down the road making your brakes howl like a banshee.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Or, stamping on the gear selector when he’s showing off.

sobriety
    Free Member

power valve mentioned

Power valve you say?

In which case it’s likely a two stroke 125, let me guess, an Aprilia/Cagiva?

In which case derestricted, they are silly quick for their size, if he’s on L plates, and the power valve is working then it’s illegal for him to be riding it.

In happier news, it’s pretty likely that something terminal will happen to it soon, and then it’ll be nice and quiet, until he gets a 4 stroke 125 with and aftermarket exhaust that sounds like a long drawn out wet fart.

ta11pau1

I’ve got motorbikes (was 2, now down to one), my vfr800 V4 with a long aftermarket pipe I’d happily sit running for a few minutes after it was washed to help dry it off, it really wasn’t that loud at all.

My 1000cc v-twin Aprilia Tuono however, I feel guilty starting that up on the drive every time! The twin akrapovic cans are actually pretty quiet, but the engine just has more noise, more depth to the sound – it’s bloody loud!!!

I can count on one hand the amount of times I’ve started the bikes while stationary in the last 12 months, not something I do regularly, and if I’m starting the tuono for any reason I make sure the next door neighbours are out!

The dog 3 doors down however, Jesus Christ that thing is annoying. Contstant barking for hours on end some days.

burko73

how can lots of motorbikes that blokes having mid life crises have such loud exhausts and still be legal? Where I live as soon as the sun comes out lots of middle aged middle managers who don’t get much attention at work or from their wives ride round like **** revving and popping their motorbikes to get attention. unfortunately the only people who don’t seem to be bothered by this is the local bill.

tjagain

The loud exhausts are not legal

oldtalent
    Free Member

They aren’t legal, but as plod don’t have any presence on the  road they get away with it.

Personally I would have them crushed. The riders know they are illegal, there is no excuse for being a noisy ****. They usually rattle out something about sucking pipe saves lives or words to that effect.

bob_summers

Problem will solve itself. Back in my younger and dumber days I raced 250s, rebuilding the top end every couple of weekends in my kitchen, firing it up and ragging it up and down the back street.  Until one day I went round the block and plod were waiting. No helmet, insurance, mot, slick tyres etc etc, and associated driving ban handed down meant I was very careful in future where I tested the bike.

taxi25
    Free Member

I’ve got 3 mx bikes of varying ages. Their not road legal so have to be started up occasionally in my back garden ( warming the oil up before changing ect.). I am conscious of the noise so try to keep it to a minimum.

But at the end of the day a bit of tolerance works for everyone. A few of my neighbours do things that irritate me, but thats just life, like my motorbikes.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Not sure why you’d be less bothered if it was a bigger bike – bit of engine snobbery going on on your part?

Bigger bikes would be just as annoying, surely – feller up the road does it all the time. Don’t know why, but I suppose he has his reasons.

He might hate it when my dogs piss on his hedge. Give and take.

unovolo
    Free Member

Its not restricted to bike owners, guy on the culdersac down the road (thankfully he has moved)used to spend hours repeatedly revving his classic mini.

Never at the weekend though only in the evenings for maximum annoyance.

Wouldnt mind but he very rarely drove it even though it was fully capable (spoke to his wife one time as they were big into classic minis).

sbob
    Free Member

For the love of all that is STW, why has nobody blamed the OP for living in what obviously must be a less well to do area?

Standards are slipping. 🙁

philjunior
    Free Member

Re. the race cans, the thing that gets me most is they won’t even get away with it on track days.

A lot of them have EC markings on but removable internal baffles (removable for “track use only” of course…).

And don’t get me started on the boy racers that can’t drive for toffee with their huge exhausts making their poor driving and/or grumbly diesels all the more obvious

unovolo
    Free Member

From the lawnmower thread.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘why do people stand in the garden revving their shit motorbike’ is closed to new replies.