Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Why do DH racers block their nostrils when warming up?
  • Militant_biker

Seen this in a few race videos – DH racers, Steve Peat for one, with bog roll poked up his nostrils, warming up on a turbo trainer. I recall from the dim depths of my memory something about sympathetic and parasympathetic but that’s about it…

What exactly are they doing?

crikey
    Free Member

It’s Olbas Oil on a bit of tissue or similar to open up them nasal passages. Has a very very limited effect other than psychological in my opinion.

Alejandro
    Free Member

XC racers do this also.

xcwanabe
    Free Member

XC racers do this also.

I race National and Regional XC and only seen it once and that was in a youth race.

Thought it was weird.

billysugger
    Free Member

Similar benefits to training at altitude?

Or they are snotty pigs like moi.

hels
    Free Member

I know a couple of folk who do this – one DHer and one XCer. It is some kind of magic special oil, or maybe vicks vaporub. They were both world class riders in their day, but I think that was more down to talent than things in their noses. A lot of top riders are very superstitious, lucky pants etc so there is a bit of that going on.

Alejandro
    Free Member

I race National and Regional XC and only seen it once and that was in a youth race.

Thought it was weird.

I’ve seen a photo of Nino Schurter doing this, must be floating around somewhere.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

might be due to how much your kit can smell after a weekend of racing

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

what mikewsmith said

stinky body armour, mine is certainly stronger than albas oil

marti
    Free Member

Was speaking to Steve Peat at fort william, apparently he gets really bad hay fever.. 😀

Militant_biker

Hmmm – interesting. Surely a dab of Olbas Oil on the upper lip would be just as effective if that is the reason?

I thought I recalled that breathing through the mouth rather than the nose stimulated the sympathetic nervous system, and started the ‘fight or flight’ effect. However, I can’t remember exactly and haven’t been able to google it successfully, only finding non-medical pages, e.g.

The nervous system is also effected by the way we breathe. Breathing through our mouths will trigger our sympathetic nervous system, which is intended to kick in when we are in danger and need to run or fight. It is a stress response

[url=http://jasonalangriffin.blogspot.com/2011/04/close-your-mouth-for-health.html]http://jasonalangriffin.blogspot.com/2011/04/close-your-mouth-for-health.html[/url]

geoffj

All a bit Alan Baxter IMHO

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Why do DH racers block their nostrils when warming up?’ is closed to new replies.