Home Forums Chat Forum Why are people so against immigration?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 231 total)
  • Why are people so against immigration?
  • pondo

The UK population is not growing because of domestic births.

Not now, but for however many millenia up until Brexit it was.

pondo

Have a look around Europe and see what parties people are voting for.

Still waiting for that evidence.

convert

The UK population is not growing because of domestic births

I actually knew that, so maybe didn’t put it carefully enough. Over the course of a generation the incumbents efforts to self renew will add 50 odd million newbies to the electoral role. Our reluctance to die and fall off the other end of the conveyor belt is also not helping either. Carving 5 or 10 million off that number would certainly help the situation if your sole aim was to reduce the top line total population number.

Poopscoop

@cerrado-tu-ruido
    Post the evidence and see what people say?

Have a look around Europe and see what parties people are voting for.

Anecdotes aren’t evidence, where is your evidence? You want it to be considered, fine, simply post it?

tjagain

Rabid lefties out in force, unable to comprehend another viewpoint or even look at the evidence.

Lets see the evidence then?    I understand your viewpoint, its just not in accordance with the evidence I have seen

Most of us are a mix of german, french and danish.  anglo saxon?  Angles from n Denmark, Saxons from Germany.  Much of our “aristocracy” is French.  The royal family are german

Personally I am a mix of French, German, Danish and for some weird reason Sami

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Because people still wish to create an inbred ‘master race’.

That said, I suspect that a lot of people in the overseas hospitality trade, can’t stand the sight of tourists.

cerrado-tu-ruido

Sometimes it’s best to err on the side of caution because there’s no going back. People are so blind to where this is heading. Immigration doesn’t affect you but does that apply to everyone? Overall immigration has had a positive affect but where does it end? Do you want a completely open border?

cerrado-tu-ruido

Stop comparing the thousands of years of immigration to what’s happened recently, not even remotely comparable.

politecameraaction
    Free Member

Immigration solves problems not creates them

the impact tends to be focused on poorer areas with less jobs, lower pay and a failure by Govt to invest in local services.

TJ’s statement is overly rosy. It is simply denialism to say that immigration doesn’t create some problems that need to be solved. That doesnt mean on balance that immigration (and for that matter emigration) can’t be a net benefit for the country or economy.

The biggest problem is that generally speaking immigration doesn’t happen neatly or tidily spread across the economy or the country as a whole. Those pressures and dilemmas get felt in particular towns (like Crewe or places in Lincolnshire), some of which are pretty fragile to begin with. Immigrants (and especially asylum seekers, and non-EU immigrants) come disproportionately to London, and less to other parts of the country. No-one’s heading where the jobs aren’t, which puts more pressure on housing, social services etc where everyone already is.

It’s made doubly difficult by the fact that the UK builds few new houses and doesn’t teach its kids foreign languages or invest in social services.

And not that the Reform Party cares about it, but “stealing” health workers etc trained at the expense of the Nigerian, Filipino, Ghanaian, Zimbabwean etc taxpayer does have an impact on the country of origin too…

https://migrationobservatory.ox.ac.uk/resources/briefings/where-do-migrants-live-in-the-uk/

pondo

Stop comparing the thousands of years of immigration to what’s happened recently, not even remotely comparable

Yeah, pretty much is. Still awaiting  your evidence to the contrary.

Poopscoop

A general question to anyone of any persuasion on immigration, what is your average interaction with immigrants?

This is mine:

Guys are the corner shop, decent bunch from Sri Lanka. Occasional takeaway delivery from people all over the world. Doctors, nurses, hematologist, ditto, from all over the world. Random accents etc in shops or the high street.

No negative effects I see. What do others see?

Any difficulty getting doctor appointments is due to our surgery taking on patients from a surgery that was closed and being unable to hire enough GP’s to compensate. Housing stock shortage due in no small part to council houses being sold off and not replenished. New houses facing massive nimbyism even though the activists live on land that was arable till a couple of generations ago… They are fine with that if course.

Immigration is just one small part of a massively complex puzzle. It’s simply daft to blame all the countries woes upon it imo.

That said, as per original question I posed, are people seeing a different side of immigration that I’m not?

Poopscoop

@cerrado-tu-ruido
    Stop comparing the thousands of years of immigration to what’s happened recently, not even remotely comparable.

You’re just making emotional arguments, not stating facts.

That said, what are the obviously negative impacts on your life immigration has made. Help us understand? Tell us what they are?

cerrado-tu-ruido

Evidence to the contrary, if you can’t see it maybe you need to move somewhere more cultural enriched.

cerrado-tu-ruido

Immigration has had a positive affect on my life but that doesn’t mean I want open borders.

Poopscoop

cerrado-tu-ruido
    Immigration has had a positive affect on my life but that doesn’t mean I want open borders.

QED.

somafunk

A general question to anyone of any persuasion on immigration, what is your average interaction with immigrants?

To be perfectly honest, absolutely zero in my town but it’s in a rural area of Galloway so I admit I am absolutely ignorant of the situation down south/elsewhere in the country apart from what I read online so perhaps I should be more understanding rather than jump to the usual response.

Last time I was south of Carlisle would have been at least 16 years ago, so I’ll sit this thread out.

politecameraaction
    Free Member

Any difficulty getting doctor appointments is due to our surgery taking on patients from a surgery that was closed…

Did the old doctors retire or emigrate to Australia/New Zealand/Canada…?

scotroutes

I have some Slovak friends here in town, a Norwegian couple. Lots of English too. My Dutch friend (our bridesmaid) left for home and then moved to France a few years ago. Lots of others – mainly Eastern European – workers in bars, restaurants, shops etc.

walleater

“Stop comparing the thousands of years of immigration to what’s happened recently, not even remotely comparable.”

Tell that to all the people murdered and molested by those pesky Vikings!

uponthedowns
    Free Member

This is correct and since Brexit it’s all government controlled.

https://search.app.goo.gl/5Rb5RA5

ernielynch
    Free Member

what is your average interaction with immigrants?

Based on the fact that 41% of Londoners, including myself, were born outside the UK, quite high.

What have I won?

Poopscoop

The other surgery that closed down was due to GP’s retiring.

The GP at my surgery that I’ve been under since my late teens has only been working one half day a week for years but has finally retired this year.

Proper old school GP, he pushed for tests that lead to life saving neurosurgery for me in my my 20’s, Chiari Malformation, decompressive surgery. I’ll always owe him for that. Another GP told me to my face I was imagining the symptoms.😑

Poopscoop

What have I won?

kudos or a slightly used one man sex pond.

Id take the Kudos to be honest. 😉

cookeaa

I think the issue is “complex” and if immigration is an issue, it is only one of many.

Immigration is indeed a component of lots of other related issues, taking a simple example; healthcare is both subject to additional demands due to immigration and of course benefits from immigrant labour. As with education, social services, etc, etc.

The headline promises (ref the dreaded ‘B’ word) from the right for the last decade or so have been along the lines of “taking back control” which implies being able to keep out those deemed to be a drain on national resources, and let in those who would contribute… So when can we expect that to start? It sort of feels like in the panic to prevent ‘wronguns’ coming in we’re keeping the ‘rightuns’ away too.

The thing is the UK had grown quite reliant on immigration, and then we kind of cut that source of labour back in a very short period (plus a pandemic happened TBF), and now we find ourselves in a bit of a pickle. “Controlling” immigration seems to have focussed more on restrictions than on identifying where immigration is a benefit.

You sure about that?

Ok we’ve got our current set of lines on a map and miscellaneous geo-political issues going on, but wasn’t it ever thus? Explain to us why this isn’t the same issue as it’s always been i.e. People in a relatively privileged position who’ve landed up on the right side of a border, looking to keep everyone else out with harsher rules before anyone else reduces their perceived share of the pie…

mefty
    Free Member

“The UK is a nation of immigrants.”

It is now, 1 in six of the population was born abroad at the last census, only Germany has a higher level in Europe – but historically we weren’t, mass immigration only started after the second world war and the amount that took place in the 50 and 60 was tiny compared to what has taken place in recent years, without anyone really making the case for it in an election – it has just kind of happened. The economic case isn’t clear cut – what most of the studies that say it is positive ignore is that the immigrant population skews young so they don’t take into account the future costs when they get older. The House of Lords did a good report a few years ago that there was no clear economic positive effect.

tjagain

And not that the Reform Party cares about it, but “stealing” health workers etc trained at the expense of the Nigerian, Filipino, Ghanaian, Zimbabwean etc taxpayer does have an impact on the country of origin too…

Indeed it does – the healthcare one particularly annoys me.  Spain trains too many nurses – their surplus used to come here.  Post brexit we are taking nurses from developing nations where there is a shortage.  In a previous drive to recruit overseas nurses one of the carribean counties had to lose its ICU because we stole all the staff.

This is part of the tragedy of brexit

The rest of what you say PCA could be controlled and mitigated.

alpin
    Free Member

Western Europe is **** without immigration. Falling birth rates. Ever increasing numbers of old codgers who need care. Kids of the old codgers not wanting nor willing to do those jobs that mean getting physical or dirty….. Anything from wiping bums to laying bricks is below them.

tjagain

Mefty – so how far back do you have to have roots here not to be an immigrant?  Normans?  House of Saxe Coburg Gotha?  or once you are born here is that OK even if your parents were immigrants?  How about the Italians in the 30s ( I think that was the big period of Italian migration to the UK?)  They have left their mark all over scotland “traditional Italian fish and chips”  Or the Jews in the 30s?

UK has always been a nation of immigrants. ~sure some periods its less and some more but its a constant theme.  When I lived in manchester you could trace the amount of time various immigrant groups had been in the UK from how far they traveled up cheetam hill road

FFS our prime minister is the son of immigrants.

Poopscoop

Farage’s great, great grandad was German. We are all mutts.

alpin
    Free Member

Was a piece on The Rest is Politics where Campbell was talking about the number of British ex-NHS workers he met out in Oz.

Germany has lots of health care workers coming from Eastern Europe. Many German health care folks end up in Switzerland.

tjagain

Our King is the son of an immigrant ( Prince Philip)  Queen Elizabeth was descended from immigrants

Poopscoop

Was a piece on The Rest is Politics where Campbell was talking about the number of British ex-NHS workers he met out in Oz.

I quite often see targeted ads on TV these days looking to lure NHS workers to Australia.

My lad, long term, has said he will consider the move which obviously saddens me but I totally get it. (He’s not in the NHS though.)

politecameraaction
    Free Member

When I play podcasts, the Spotify app injects ads from the Western Australian Health Ministry (or whatever) trying to hire doctors and nurses from the UK.

UK has always been a nation of immigrants. ~sure some periods its less and some more

It is literally true that there has always some volume of immigration to and emigration from the UK (and its predecessors). But the change in volume is massive and undeniable and important.

tjagain

Evidence to the contrary, if you can’t see it maybe you need to move somewhere more cultural enriched.

Can you please show us this evidence?

what is your average interaction with immigrants?

I was a healthcare worker.  The majority of my colleagues where first generation immigrants.  I’m a migrant myself being English born and living in Scotland.  I have two good friends who are immigrants and others who are migrants from England

We are also a nation of migrants – I have family all over the world.

Andy

@somafunk

To be perfectly honest, absolutely zero in my town but it’s in a rural area of Galloway

Lot of immigration in KBT from England. (Me included – although my Mum is scottish and I was born in scotland – does that count? ).  Locals bitch massively about “Incomers” on social media. Think there are a lot of people are struggling for money and housing and its not nice if you fall on the wrong side of the divide so easy to see where the frustration comes from.  I do voluntary work in the town and have received anti-English racist messages because of it.  As a white,  middle aged, financially secure male I was a bit shocked. I cant imaging how horrible that would have been if I was less advantaged.

People need an outlet for their desperation and the media exploit this. Beyond that I dont understand it.

@scotroutes

Which is why I made the comment about using  a broad definition of immigration 😉

Please explain, thanks

mefty
    Free Member

The Norman Conquest, as George Trevelyan said in his History of England:

It is a commonplace to say that the British are a people of mixed
    blood… [But] it may be as well to say, at the outset, that the
    entrance into our island of the races who people it today was
    completed in main at the time of the Norman Conquest. With that
    event, which itself made less racial than social and cultural change,
    we come to an end of migratory invasions and forced entry behind
    the point of the sword. Since Hastings there has been nothing more
    catastrophic than a slow, peaceful infiltration of alien craftsmen
    and labourers—Flemings, Huguenots, Irish and others—with the
    acquiescence of the existing inhabitants of the island.

politecameraaction
    Free Member

Stretching the topic a bit to start talking about English “migrants” to Scotland and vice versa.

dyna-ti

They’re back to demonizing immigrants again. Well, I guess it makes a change from the young or the disabled.

One section of the population garnered to the rile. Sad to say it usually works.

ernielynch
    Free Member

FFS our prime minister is the son of immigrants.

Okay fair point TJ.

Not all immigration has had a positive effect.

tjagain

PCA – why is internal migration between the nations of the Uk different from migration from France or the Netherlands?  Edinburgh has a huge english population and its changed it.  Hard to see a moral or practical difference?  Internal migration from london to less well off parts of the UK like cornwall creates the same pressures on housing and services as from other countries

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 231 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.