• This topic has 113 replies, 76 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by bruk.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 114 total)
  • Who's got the worst car for the snow?
  • eth3er
    Free Member

Mine’s a Renault Laguna estate and will not work in the snow at all or makes a job of it; sliding everywhere and mostly refuses to set off. Had to be rescued by the mrs who was quite happily driving everywhere in her tiny Corsa. Maybe the tyres but I’m blaming the car; I’m not terrible driver either as I drove rather well in my little Saxo last year, but the Laguna will just not work. Carpets salt and shovels in the boot now.
    So I ask who’s got the worst snow mobile?

cubemeup
    Free Member

me by far, i got a bmw!!

juiced
    Free Member

markrh
    Free Member

Another for BMW, ours is an auto as well, its crap even with 60kgs of slab in the boot but i love it, fun,fun,fun!

Unless you really need to get somewhere that is.

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

There must be someone on here with an M5 estate? They would win.

robdob
    Free Member

A good friend of mine used to have a Fabia VRS. He’s an excellent driver and he said it was an ace car but if there was any snow it was beyond useless. Powerful diesel engine (his had 170bhp, 300+ftlb) in a lightweight car with very low profile wide tyres. Zero grip.

Coleman
    Free Member

Lexus IS220 – driving in snow should be fun not scary! Although a bit more traction now I’ve filled the boot with 6 bags of gravel. 🙂

headfirst
    Free Member

I walked past a guy in a BMW spinning his back wheels like billi-o (sp?) trying to get out of his parking spot onto an otherwise clear road. I felt a little guilty not bothering to help, but not much 😈

MrSparkle

Me. Megane Scenic. Useless to the point of being dangerous.

yunki
    Free Member

nicolaisam
    Free Member

My mates M3.Useless in the snow

will
    Free Member

robdob – Member
    A good friend of mine used to have a Fabia VRS. He’s an excellent driver and he said it was an ace car but if there was any snow it was beyond useless. Powerful diesel engine (his had 170bhp, 300+ftlb) in a lightweight car with very low profile wide tyres. Zero grip.

Well I have an Ibiza, same engine and power and I have not got stuck yet. Your mate clearly can’t drive 😉

Audi A6s seem quite bad!

markenduro
    Free Member

+1 for the fabia vrs, mine is useless in the snow with wheelspin at 20mph in 4th gear and crap traction control. It has been mostly parked up for the week. Would probably be a real laugh with some decent snow tyres on it though.

lookmanohands
    Free Member

BigBoyXC
    Free Member

Anyone with a BMW that has low profile tyres on… they are USELESS in ice and snow!!! 2 or 4 wheel drive

I had an X5 Sport last year with the snow and it was like a 2 ton roller skate, now i have a Merc ML320 AMG (big wheels, low profile tyres, tuning chip etc) and even though it has low profile 4×4 tyres it is so much better and stable than the BMW. For a German (cold country in winter) manuf they are pants.

will
    Free Member

Wheelspin at 20mph in 4th? Really?

cynic-al
    Free Member

MX5 and P1800.

THREAD CLOSED.

piha
    Free Member

Somebody on here must have a S2000.

I owned one a few years ago and when the snow and ice come, the S2000 stayed in the garage. Pretty much uncontrollable in the snow and ice, twas bad enough in the cold and wet.

onandon
    Free Member

Yep, I have an S2000. It doesn’t move much in the snow…….unless is sliding 🙂

Drac

Wheelspin at 20mph in 4th? Really?

He made me chuckle.

Mine is ok but nit great funnily enough it’s a VAG diesel TDi with fat tyres.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I want a P1800!! 🙁

epicsteve
    Free Member

I’ve got a V6 auto, rear-wheel drive Merc with 245/40×17 tyres. It is not good in the snow…

ziggy
    Free Member

My Civic type r was a handful in the snow. Little torque, so no clutch only starts, big wide 18″s, not a good combination.

D4declivity
    Free Member

My MGF Trophy on 215 semi slicks is less than effective. Clutch and throttle are binary. At least it hasn’t got abs.

I used to have a Capri in the 80’s that was brilliant fun in the snow.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Me. BMW 335d. RWD, 428lbs-ft (more than an M5), fat tyres, not even touching it until the ice melts. The other car is brilliant in snow though.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

The Skoda boys need to read the manual. Cars of that group have a very effective electronic diff lock function below a certain speed, I’ll allow you to discover it yourself, call it homework.

Innes
    Free Member

I saw a Reliant Rialto three wheel car yesterday, that must be the worst possible option in the snow.

santacruzsi
    Free Member

My Astra VXR is not much fun..low profile, wide tyres, 240bhp!

wallop

I have an MX-5, it’s pretty useless

robbo1234biking

On the A1(M) last sunday afternoon the snow started coming down quite bad everything started slowing down to about 10mph we were down to one lane and everyone drove past a BMW 1 series wheelspinning on one of the hills before wetherby services. About 2 junctions later a Ferrari 456 was being pushed by the guys wife who once they managed to get going jumped in whilst the vehicle was moving. We lost it behind us about 5 mins later and traffic reports said some cars were stranded on the A1(M) so not sure if he made it out or not!

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Buggatti veyron is 4wd, so there is no way thats the worst! 🙂

Powerful diesel engine (his had 170bhp, 300+ftlb) in a lightweight car with very low profile wide tyres. Zero grip

The Fabia may be rubbish, but I don’t think that statement is too true. Our Mondeo ST TDCi is similar power, wide tyres and not much heavier and its OK in the snow with summer tyres and great with winter tyres.

I am totally sold on winter tyres now. I think they saved me from a big crash yesterday after hitting black ice. Only had the fitted the day before!

Hohum
    Free Member

265/35/18s on the back of my 530i sport and it is driveable, just, but not very good really.

carbon337
    Free Member

My old man has a z4 m coupe that hasn’t moved. Grandad has a Jag XKR – needless to say that thing is lethal.

My Zafira SRI with 225/40/18s isnt the best. However the Mrs has a 1.2 Fiat 500 and thats champion.

Northwind

My Focus as it’s hopelessly buried up to the windows.

br
    Free Member

Not an M5, but 535i here, V8 up front and big wide low profiles all-round.

Luckily the wife has a Land Rover.

Hohum
    Free Member

Northwind – Member
    My Focus as it’s hopelessly buried up to the windows.

Spent half an hour digging mine out yesterday and the battery was flat…

schrickvr6
    Free Member

My Fabia vRS is pretty awful, wide wheels with stretched low profile tyres, and 400lb/ft through the front wheels, understeertastic.

Northwind

Ho hum – Member

“Spent half an hour digging mine out yesterday and the battery was flat…”

Spent about 5 hours today and yesterday digging out one car but the only place to throw the snow was basically all over the other one :mrgreen:

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

I had an X5 Sport last year with
    the snow and it was like a 2 ton
    roller skate, now i have a Merc
    ML320 AMG (big wheels, low
    profile tyres, tuning chip etc) and
    even though it has low profile
    4×4 tyres it is so much better and
    stable than the BMW. For a
    German (cold country in winter)
    manuf they are pants.

ML320 AMG

Sniggers

hamishthecat
    Free Member

BMW 525d sport touring (E39). Fat tyres, 165bhp, rear wheel drive.

It was quite stressful just driving to Step Bridges via Dunsford this morning on 50% black ice. OK in a straight line…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 114 total)

The topic ‘Who's got the worst car for the snow?’ is closed to new replies.