Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 96 total)
  • Who's been riding in this weather then?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I used SaxonRider as a tool to persuade both of us out yesterday evening in ridiculous lashing rain and wind. Was fun, the mud was so wet there was plenty of traction on the stones below. Conversation was tricky though.

jam-bo

Rode in the rain & fog on Friday, and in the wind today. Appropriate clothing and everything is good.

ajantom

Yup, took the Pompino with CX tyres on around Haldon trail centre. Very slippy, and gloopy in places. In hindsight it was probably not a good idea to go off-piste and try a rooty drop on it 😉 luckly I’d packed a spare tube!

Was hoping a bit of fresh air would clear the passages of all the gunk I’ve got in my lungs and sinuses from a recent cold.

Trimix
    Free Member

I did a couple of hours yesterday and an hour today – both before it started raining. But bloody hell – the wind was making it all feel like an uphill struggle.

sweepy
    Free Member

Yesterday it was like the bloody Somme, today the main problem was no glasses when the snow was blowing.

z1ppy

Out Saturday, only my gloves let me down

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Yes, I rebuilt the winter road bike mid week, and went out for a rather emotional 60kms yesterday.
    Pretty spank weather out there if I’m honest.
    Roll on cold dry.
    Or just summer..

mrblobby
    Free Member

A couple of hours round the roads near the North Devon coast. Blustery!

Northwind

I timed it perfectly earlier, nipped out for a few hours between the howling wind in the morning and the sleet and sudden apocalyptic darkness in the afternoon. Squelchy as anything though, felt kind of like hard work. (it is quite interesting learning how fatbikes work in slobbery mud though, lots of wheelspinning and drifting and floating)

mtbfix

‘Walking’ the dog in the woods on the single speed. Loving the 2mph drifting on wet clay!

bearnecessities

Big respect to the guy on the On One Fatty I saw fighting the wind & rain along A58 this afternoon just down from Drighlington – your mate was in front, but he was on a normal bike, so less impressive 😉

thecaptain
    Free Member

Nope, binned the dark and white buxton ride today, it’s a fair drive anyway and there’s no point going all that way for a grim day battling gales and rain. Can’t imagine the riding would have been that great.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Nope,if ever there was a weekend to stay in & catch up on the DIY it was this one.
    I’ll get the turbo trainer out later..

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

45-50 mph winds round here today & lashing down. So no, I didn’t go out!

rOcKeTdOg

yesterday in blustery and wet conditions

and today in very windy conditions

bikebouy
    Free Member

Thursday, 75k’s around the Western side North Yorkshires finest Moor top lanes.. Windy, bloody horizontal rain on the way up with the wind behind me, then turned around at Pickering and faced the wind all the way home, stopped raining though.
    Friday, 90k’s around the Eastern edge of the North Yorkshire Moors.. Wet, windy, reasonably warm though, got drenched 15k’s from the Farm..
    Yesterday, 55k’s of “Hell of the Wath” (roadie route I made) Bloody freezing and windy.. wish I hadn’t chosen such a long route TBH.

Today, well back in Town and went for coffee and custard slice at my favourite Brewer St cafe’

Wind 😯

taxi25
    Free Member

went out yesterday, good fun in the mud but got wet and cold after 90mins so went home a bit earlier than intended 🙁

edlong
    Free Member

Avoided the worst of the wind with an early start, but blimey there’s been some water down the last day or two: paths that were rivers, stream crossings so high the water shot up my sleeves, everywhere squelchy, muddy, slippery carnage. Absolutely brilliant fun, if a bit of a job cleaning up afterwards (me and bike).

Then enjoyed looking at, and listening to, the worst of it this afternoon through the luxury of double glazing..

SaxonRider

I would have chickened out if it hadn’t have been for molgrips’ harassment. But having gone for it, I can declare it was worth it, even if my shoes are sitting in front of the fire for a second day trying to dry out. 8)

I am now looking forward to tomorrow’s commute.

EDIT: Where did you go, taxi25? I thought you were pretty much sticking to the road now.

hebridean
    Free Member

40-50mph wind here, horizontal rain and hail, ended up flat on my back in a puddle….best laugh we’ve had on a ride in ages.

FOG

Yes thecaptain I bottled that event too. I actually got the bike on the car and was ready for the off thinking it was just a bit windy when the heavens opened and I retreated to the warmth of the house which was running at Mrs FOG’s temperature – tropical. Nothing I saw later in the day has persuaded me I made the wrong decision.

scaredypants

I’m using recent sugery as an excuse currently

… maybe in late April/May

AlexSimon

It wasn’t too bad apart from the wind. Mainly because it’s not cold.

60km in the Peak on CX bikes for us. Tried to keep to the sheltered areas, although it proved impossible.

At least we’ve all got good clothing these days!

asdfhjkl
    Free Member

Gotten a few rides in this week although only on tarmac (on a mtb, alas). The strong wind has turned otherwise short and flattish rides into hard workouts.

iainc

Horizontal sleet here in south Lanarkshire. Went for a 3k swim and booked a velodrome session 😀

scotroutes

[url=https://flic.kr/p/BcEj67]That's gonna be a big puddle[/url] by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

dpfr

Out for a couple of hours on the roadie on Friday trying to get used to a radically different bike fit. Slogging up Long Hill out of Buxton leaning sideways into the crosswind was going well until the wind dropped for a second…..

Yesterday was a piece of brilliant timing, just ahead of the filthy weather in the afternoon. That was this winter’s first use of the bike as an icebreaker on the 25 m long, hub deep puddles, which led to the unique feeling of freezing water percolating slowly through your socks.

roverpig

Nowt wrong with the weather up here 🙂

rob2
    Free Member

Yep but feel it now.

8.30am start on exmoor.

High winds, horizontal rain. Made it round but on the last slog up towards Dunkery beacon began to think that if either of us had a bad accident it could go very wrong very quickly.

Makes you realise why people carry emergency cloak things etc.

Quite possibly the worst and hardest conditions I’ve ever ridden in.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Met about 20 other club members and did 38km single track exploring and hooning about in the woods, one of the senior guys met us half way with beer and crisps on a table out the back of his car, all foc. Clear blue skies all day if a bit nippy in the woods, did I mention I was in Cataluna 😉

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Met about 20 other club members and did 38km single track exploring and hooning about in the woods, one of the senior guys met us half way with beer and crisps on a table out the back of his car, all foc. Clear blue skies all day if a bit nippy in the woods, did I mention I was in Cataluna 😉

djflexure

Ventured out for a few hours on the road with all my lights on (which was probably overkill).

core

Nearly did this afternoon, then it started blowing a gale and pissing with rain.

Got tomorrow booked off, planning solo trail centre trip, FoD or NyA, would rather trail surface at NyA, but it’s a lot more exposed…….. Decisions…….

CX bike arrives Tuesday too

TiRed

Rode 80 km on a fixed wheel yesterday for the Saturday club ride. Always in the wrong gear. Just off for our club social on the trike because the trains aren’t running tonight (20 km each way). Three wheels so should stay upright at least!

P-Jay
    Free Member

Dam skippy, rode through the snow at BPW last weekend and through the hale, wind and rain yesterday – what did Peaty say about British Winters 😉

I feel sorry for fair weather riders, it’s NEVER as bad as you think it will be once you get going.

SaxonRider

I feel sorry for fair weather riders, it’s NEVER as bad as you think it will be once you get going.

I actually agree with you, P-Jay. And in any case, there is something exhilarating about overcoming the elements. I mean, I hate the combination of wind and rain, but where we live it’s just a fact of life, so I might as well see it as a challenge.

postierich
    Free Member

30 local lakeland miles in very wet and gusty conditions twas grand
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/BDLJS8]Untitled[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/BucfFf]Untitled[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

ceepers

Had a really fun and surprisingly dry blast around the on-piste Haldon trails on Friday afternoon. The new trans am felt really good and nice to get the chance to see what she could do with a predictable amount of grip to play with.

Had a mate down from the me dips yesterday so felt obliged to show him around. Slippery and muddy fun but very wet and SO windy once we reached the coast, rounding the final corner into woolacombe a gust virtually brought us to a stop. We headed back inland quickly and at least the gale force westerlies blew us back up the climb where the pic was taken.

MrNice
    Free Member

I feel like I wimped out but I built a bedroom’s worth of ikea furniture instead so the weekend was not entirely wasted

addy6402

A couple of hours this afternoon in the NW Alps, rather breezy on the exposed sections. Lots of fun exploring the limits of the fatty in the gloop…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 96 total)

The topic ‘Who's been riding in this weather then?’ is closed to new replies.