• This topic has 59 replies, 41 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by benp1.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • Who makes the best base layers?
  • vondally
    Free Member

I admit to be a profuse sweater, a complete Niagara falls of perspiration, a veritable lake of moisture, a sweatpool. Any incline, flat single-track or even descent I sweat, I am relatively fit for my mid 50s and it is a cooling mechanism…

So who makes the best wick away base layers? Short and long sleeve.

Please no merino wool, been there and it was the closest I came to hypothermia.

IMHo I am not a fan of Helly H stuff, it has just been ok.

I need to buy some base layers.

jedi

I use dakine baselayers including for snowboarding. Great kit

ajantom

I’ve got a couple of long sleeved base layer tops from BAM.
    Probably 2 years old now, and still in decent nick and not smelly.
    Seem to wick sweat well (and I’m a sweaty Betty) but stay pretty warm.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jam-bo

I’m slowly moving over to Patagonia capeline in various weights. Way better than merino.

chiefgrooveguru

The Brynje mesh base layers work as brilliantly as they look awful. And OMFG they look terminally embarrassingly dreadful, like you’re competing for the Worst Dressed Award at a fetish night.

Nothing handles sweat better though.

aldo56
    Free Member

Brynje super thermo is fantastic.

timblake7

I’ve used Howies merino base layers for many years. Seem to do a great job of keeping warm and getting rid of sweat/staying warm when wet. Feel great too and don’t smell. Decent small welsh company with good ethics too

vondally
    Free Member

Please, and I repeat, no merino as base layers.

It seriously fails me, it remains wet and cold against the skin and is the closest I have come to having hypothermia.

I understand the theory of merino but ime it fails me, mainly propaganda. I have several merino tops and have tried it.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

+1 no merino

Craft here, short and long.

tlr

I used to have a job which involved being given and testing lots of base layers, so had the chance to use lots without having any money invested in them.

For what it’s worth, merino has a very small window where it ‘works’, and I very rarely wear it unless it’s for standing around in.

Most synthetics work very similarly in terms of the mechanics, it’s the construction of each particular weight of garment that makes the most difference. And what is worn over the top – nothing will wick well worn under a plastic bag. So I’m lucky enough to have a wide array of weights from open mesh to practically fleece weight and choose according to the temperature.

My personal preferences are tops from Odlo and Arc’teryx, but I haven’t had any new ones for a few year’s so won’t suggest particular pieces, but I’d look more towards outdoor brands than cycling brands.

Klunk
    Free Member

my favourite/best base layer is a Crane Bamboo from aldi

jobro
    Free Member

First off, look at Scandinavian brands. Secondly, look for their high activity specific base layers (like cross-country skiing).
    Real shame you don’t like Helly as I find the original poly prop material the best for moisture transfer.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Odlo are the ones I usually get out of the drawer first.

jonba
    Free Member

If it’s to go beneath a cycling top then the various mesh ones are good. No so great as a layer if you plan to wear them alone though – you look like a rocky horror show extra.

I always go dhb from wiggle as I’ve found little difference between the brands.

nickdavies

Craft make the best IMO, have a nice range out of the sales cos I’m a tightarse, but I picked up a couple of cheap long sleeves from Aldi the other day for £6.99 and they’re actually rather good!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I also think Lifa is excellent 🙂

Feel like I’m the Ready-Brek man when I put it on

Bought some expensive merino IceBreaker tops for my wife to ski in, they didn’t work very well at all – big mistake – same effect as cotton t-shirts

You probably hold up merino as an example of why STW advice can’t be relied on – there’s been several (older now) threads that have just been a merino love-in

FOG

Another vote for Patagonia Capilene. I have some that is 15years old and is still working fine. It is warm and is the best wicking layer of the various brands I own

chiefgrooveguru

I too hate merino for bass layers and I don’t even sweat all that much. It doesn’t actually wick, it absorbs. And once it’s taken in all the moisture it can then that’s it.

Yes, wool is still warm when wet, unlike cotton which is disastrously chilling, but I’d rather have far drier, more durable and cheaper synthetics next to my skin.

For normal looking base layers, Helly Hansen Lifa and Patagonia Capilene (the thinner not thicker ones) are great.

bigdean

Also a sweaty rider and not really found a base.
    I do like my stash of on one merinio base vests but they have to be a close fit or (as pointed to above) they get cold.
    Have also used a mesh base and tried nike dry fit stuff that just get cold, also the aldi rapha ripoff are ok but again just get loaded with water and cold.

My current method is close fitting short sleved tops, vest bases a regulate temp with arm warmers, over jersey sleeves vs under vs off.

joebristol

I quite like the Under Armour compression base layers – I have the thinner summer ish ones (which I’d never wear in summer – but they’re good for this time of year where it’s a bit chilly at times but not cold cold) and the winter ‘cold gear’ ones with a little bit of collar bit that keeps you nice and snug.

Prior to getting here I’ve always had Nike ones – but I’ve found the thin ones do go quite sweaty smelling and hold onto that so I haven’t bought anymore of those recently. The thicker pro ones have always been ok for me though in cold weather.

I’m not up for spending big money on bike clothes so I normally layer a Fox tech t on top of whichever base layer I have (cold gear UU in the winter), then a Royal Racing Matrix jacket on top of that if it’s really cold. That combination has worked perfectly for me at Cwmcarn in -5 to 0 sort of degree range and also on a push up day at Windhill when it was snowing and -3.5 degrees.

If I were going out somewhere more remote I’d take more clothes with me in case I had to stop and needed to throw more layers on.

lapierrelady

I have a feeling Patagonia have recently re-engineered their capilene line to be a bit less stinky? Has anyone got old and new and can confirm this. Unfortunately after being smug for years that my HH weren’t that smelly despite being 15 years old, I think they might finally be succumbing to the curse so it’s time for something new!

jkomo

Craft mesh here. Will try those Brynje though

chiefgrooveguru

If any of your base layers still smell after washing, dab the problem areas with white vinegar and wash them again. Bad odours gone, guaranteed!

BadlyWiredDog

+ whatever for the Brynje mesh baselayer – bascially a synthetic string vest with Right Said Fred aesthetics. As well as drying super fast, it has the big plus of shedding heat like a bastard if you use a venting jacket as you’re more or less exposing your skin to the air. Brilliant. The only baselayer I’ve been able to use for multiple laps at a 24-hour race without it getting damp and clammy.

For hot weather, the new Patagonia stuff, Capilene Cool, in its thinnest weight is good. On the bike, the Morvelo mesh baselayer works really well too – it’s not mesh in the way the Brynje is, but very lightweight and super breathable / fast drying. I think Castelli uses pretty much the same fabric.

I have a feeling Patagonia have recently re-engineered their capilene line to be a bit less stinky? Has anyone got old and new and can confirm this.

Capilene Cool seems pretty good ime. They’ve probably uses a silver-based treatment as per lots of other brands, Polygiene probably, er…

https://www.patagonia.com/polygiene.html

Capilene has always been a sort of blanket label for Patagonia baselayer fabrics, they’ve used all sorts of stuff and technologies and just called it that, so yes, chances are that it’s changed.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve tried lots over the years inc the Patagonia ones, and by far.my favourite are Mountain Warehouse, with the added bonus that they can be had for a tenner or even less in a sale.

My long held ideas of brand snobbery have been eroded by MW, they do some great clobber now.

matt_outandabout

Patagonia Capeline in light flavour is the best wicking baselayers I’ve owned.

Brilliant things.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

The £5 sleeveless PX ones are decent, tempted to get a short and long sleeved one too.

chiefgrooveguru

“+ whatever for the Brynje mesh baselayer – bascially a synthetic string vest with Right Said Fred aesthetics. As well as drying super fast, it has the big plus of shedding heat like a bastard if you use a venting jacket as you’re more or less exposing your skin to the air. Brilliant.“

I have the long sleeve Brynje but even mostly covered with a short sleeve base layer it still looks weird as **** having mesh arm warmers showing… Am going to order a sleeveless one as they’re remarkably warm for something full of holes – but as you say, open the vents and they really dump heat.

jameso

Best synthetic I’ve used is the Altura Thermacool. Brilliant fabric, good stretch fit. But it’s warm for how thin/light it is so maybe not ideal for a sweater.

If you’re a really sweaty type in most conditions it won’t evaporate off as fast as you produce it. A mesh/string-type vest under a loose-knit synthetic layer should reduce heat and sweating (vests are good at avoiding overheating) and maximising wicking.

Don’t then throw a windproof / waterproof on top though : ) I’ve found thin primaloft gilets do a really good job of creating a temp + moisture gradient that wicks really well to keep the inner layer dry (similar theory as a Paramo), but only at moderate paces and again that works for me as I don’t sweat loads and often need some insulation to stay warm. Your heat/sweat rate might mean it doesn’t work as well, or the theory may still work better than other combos – not sure.

avdave2

Another recommendation for the Byrnje. Multiple purpose to, the black one is ideal for fetish nights at the local Eurotrash gay club while the white when combined with a knotted hanky makes ideal beach wear.
    only slight downside I’ve found is the mild cheese grater effect if you go sliding down an icy road.

trail_rat
    Free Member

+ 1 for the planet X ones. Not the best I’ve used but bang of buck is high. I’ve long /short and vest styles. I run and ride in them.

The carnac mesh ones they do are great for turbo or summer as well…really good at shifting heat/sweat.

jameso

I too hate merino for bass layers and I don’t even sweat all that much. It doesn’t actually wick, it absorbs. And once it’s taken in all the moisture it can then that’s it.

It does absorb but it does also wick if it’s used with other layers that give the moisture somewhere to go. Capillary action. Seems to work best with layers that create the right separation or temp differences – that’s where I find primaloft can be so good, it’s well separated and open, not a dense weave. Or thin merino with thin synthetic over the top – but that will be too warm for many.
    The worst combo for soaking out then chilling is a base layer of any material with just a waterproof over the top. A synthetic can be worse there ime as it still can hold damp faster than it dries yet it feels colder when wet than merino / sportwool mixes. Merino’s drawback is slower drying for sure, but for a sweaty rider the wicking ability of the layer system is going to keep them drier than the drying speed of the base (you’d want to maximise both of course).

endoverend

Agree that Merino doesn’t work for certain riding situations for a profuse sweater. I might wear merino for a steady state low tempo ride at low altitude mid winter and find it ok- but get some pace on and start sweating while on mtb which by nature is more stop/start – or more importantly go onto mountain tops mid winter having inevitably sweated buckets getting up there while also needing a full protection layer against the elements…then being exposed to lower temps and less body activity on top or descending and its a slow drying chilling recipe for hypothermia.

I have found the Craft Active Extreme baselayers to be the Wickingest of the Wicking,  but find HH to be OK too.

BadlyWiredDog

The merino/polyester hybrids work pretty well ime – Montane Primino and whatever Rab calls their’s these days. I think they list it as ‘merino’, but it’s actually a wool / polyester blend. Does most of the merino non-stinking gig, which makes merino great for multi-day use without washing, but wicks and dries better.

The deal with merino, as I understand it, is that it will hold a certain amount of vapour within the fabric, but beyond that point, gets soggy very quickly and that takes ages to dry. If you’re a low sweater / run cool / move slowly, it works fine, it’s when you get beyond the critical level of sweat that merino just can’t cope.

It’s brilliant for not smelling though. The lightweight merino tees are ace for day-to-day wear as an alternative to a cotton tee-shirt.

vondally
    Free Member

Thanks so far, personal experience of brands.

Patagonia, works well but never got the fit right for me.

Aldi, works well for price but end up smelling like a petroleum factory…no idea but do.

Helly H, okay but not that wick away tried them on and off since the 1980’s

Nike ok

Under armour , use their t shirts (poly ones not cotton mix) in the gym good.

Cannondale for the turn of the century brilliant but just died.

Craft agree good but been fragile.

Will try the Scandinavian mesh ones.

Just come back from a 13,500 ft peak, in SE Asia, so mixed conditions last bit was night walk up, so base layer, poly t shirt and then a Patagonia merino wool
    With a haglof thin wind jacket. Managed the ascent well, warm and dry.
    In this country and riding I almost never wear a waterproof as it is too hot.

vondally
    Free Member

Oh ground effect sub merino was a great top, a hybrid mix.

endoverend

Agree also with Jameso above about it all being about the abilities of the top layer. I’m finding the full windstopper type layers to be not breathable enough, but it’s hard to find the perfect balance of protection and breathability – Seems the mountaineering world of jackets is slightly ahead with ‘Active Insulation’ the Polartec Alpha Direct fabric is great for stop start fast moving sweaty stuff providing that fast wicking air separation layer – haven’t seen many biking cut jackets use this to full effect yet? Always searching.

skink2020

I’m sure someone above this said Brynje. They are outstanding.

chiefgrooveguru

“Seems the mountaineering world of jackets is slightly ahead with ‘Active Insulation’ the Polartec Alpha Direct fabric is great“

It should be – it’s basically a lightweight version of Buffalo DP and that works brilliantly in cold enough situations.

I don’t bother buying cycling specific tops for MTBing – the mountaineering etc world seems to have much better gear.

The only coated/membrane garment I have is an ultralight emergency Altura waterproof – tightly woven windproof or wind resistant unlined softshells are better 99% of the time on the bike.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Who makes the best base layers?’ is closed to new replies.