Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Who is Pink Floyd?
  • Pieface

I like their music but don't really know much about their history, I am aware the original singer went abit mad and left the band, but more curious about the aftermath betwween Gilmour and Waters.

I know there's been alot of bad blood between them. Looking at the writers it looks like Waters and Gilmour contributed about equally to most of the lyrics, but when Wtaers had a titty lip was he the one in the wrong, or was Gilmour carrying on the name of Pink Floyd in albums like the 'Delicate sound of thubnder' etc. a bit arrogant in doing so.

I know this could go on for hours but any info mnmuch appreciated to while away a slow day before starting holiday.

Pieface

Oops, was meant to add to chat forum but got too eager in posting and forgot to select 'Chat'

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

"Which one's Pink?"

Stoner
    Free Member

im guessing wiki might be a good source of their history – its a long one…

Pieface

A quick look at Wiki suggests that the current line up is the true Pink Floyd as it has Mason and Wright in it, part of the original line-up.

sslowpace
    Free Member

Although Richard Wright did die last september…..

BigJohn

There was a lot of tension in the band – musical differences, business differences and downright personal loathing.

Remember that it was the tension which led to much of the creativity, and created this huge money-making machine. So it was the money side which caused the fight over who was entitled to the name.

But both sides each carried on playing the old songs in concert and producing their own new stuff. A lot of people think Roger Waters post-split output is the best of the lot.

Just find the stuff you like most and listen to it.

I really regret never having been to one of their concerts when they were in their pomp. But on the other hand most of them were insufferably dull and overblown. The records are much better, my personal faves being Wish You Were Here and Pulse. And some of Umma Gumma, oh and Atom Heart Mother, and See Emily Play, and, and …

jova54
    Free Member

Get a hold of Nick Mason's book 'Inside Out', gives a good fairly balanced view of the band's history.

Original band were Syd Barratt, Roger Waters, Rick Wright and Nick Mason. Barratt had major problems with drugs/fame and burnt out early (Wish You Were Here is a tribute) and was replaced in the band by Gilmour.

Towards the end of the record making history relations between Waters and Gilmour wrecked the band and Gilmour only reluctantly agreed to play the reunion.

Recommended listening (mine); Pulse Live double album with a bit from all eras, Wish You Were Here, DSOTM, Atom Heart Mother, Piper At The Gates Of Dawn. Apart from Comfortably Numb, The Wall is pretty rubbish, typical overblown 70's concept album.

If you can also find the DVDs for Pulse and Live At Pompeii.

I saw them live a couple of times including during the final Earls Court concerts but the best was Dortmund in 1977 when then did WYWH and Animals, flying pig included.

FWIW, Mason owns one of the most amazing collections of sports racing cars and is a nice guy.

Stick in on your iPod, fire up a joint, close your eyes and away you go.

Careful with that axe Eugene! 8)

ridethelakes
    Free Member

In a nutshell…

Waters wrote the lyrics once Syd Barrett went mental and I think this went to his head as he felt that HE was Pink Floyd and wasn't getting enough recognition. My own view is that Dave Gilmour was as much a part of muscial success of the band in much the same way that the Stone Roses wouldn't have been so successful if it wasn't for the pairing of Brown and Squire.

So Waters left expecting the band to dissolve but Gilmour resurrected it with Rick Wright, writing new material and playing the old stuff resulting in the real bitterness between Waters and the rest of the band. I think they may even have had some court battles.

Post Waters Floyd was still successful musically, playing the old stuff but I always felt the new material was lacking.

Waters' solo stuff is worth a look and even Syd Barretts solo music has some gems amongst the madness.

julianwilson
    Free Member

1) fatmuthahubbard off here has a dog named Floyd.

2) …and Nick Mason once paid an absurd (and at the time record breaking iirc) amount of money for a vintage Ferrari Dino once.

3) I bleddy love Pink Floyd. Especially 'Animals'.

nothing to add to the above good explanations though.

BigJohn

Go gettem Floyd!

Sam

If you're asking the origins of the name…

Barrett came up with the alternative name The Pink Floyd Sound, after two Piedmont blues musicians, Pink Anderson and Floyd Council, two names he'd seen on the notes of a Blind Boy Fuller album

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink_floyd

julianwilson
    Free Member

… too right BigJohn: Floyd (the dog) weighs more than my children! (yes, both put together i think…)

enfht
    Free Member

You need to be high to properly understand and appreciate their music imo

oldgit
    Free Member

Pink Floyd is surprisingly good to listen to whilst on the Turbos.

And Relics was my first ever album, there's a bit of useless history for you. Some people would say 'wow' or 'cool' but actually Relics was never a full price album i.e it was cheap.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Who is Pink Floyd?’ is closed to new replies.