• This topic has 95 replies, 63 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by rone.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 96 total)
  • Who else avoids streaming their music?
  • TrailriderJim
    Free Member

I’ve had my iPod Classic for over four years and it seems pretty indestructible, so I’ll keep using it until it dies. I was hoping Appple would have regenerated it, but I guess it’s a sign of the times.

I’ve got a large record collection and can’t bring myself to shelving it and listening to music via streaming. I also like the fact that I have my entire collection in my pocket and can play it without having to connect to a network.

Will the younger generation regret they didn’t start collecting music one day?

kiwijohn

Why collect it when you can access anything at any time?

zilog6128

Nope, although I don’t regret all the money I’ve spent on tapes/CDs/etc in the past because there was no other way. I’ve got rid of everything now though.

Collecting music now is no different to collecting stamps, retro bikes or anything else.

Drac

No. I’ve never ‘collected’ must and certainly don’t regret it.

acidchunks

Increase in micro sd capacity has played a big part in killing the classic I reckon. Why buy an iPod when you can get a 128gb memory card for your phone?

Apple did discontinue it a few years back then did a quiet u turn (presumably because of fanboi/girl outcry)

I killed 3 iPod classics over 4 years. Loved the storage capacity (last one was 160gB) but way over priced.

Sound quality was definitely lacking and the audio jack sockets were prone to failure.

Now I use an old HTC with a 64gB micro sd. Lighter, better sound, less prone to breaking and if I can get on WiFi I can stream as well.

McHamish
    Free Member

I guess the younger generation won’t miss what they never had.

A friend at uni was a bit of a music aficionado…a lot of what I listen to is due to my going through his cd collection.

The equivalent now is going through someones playlists on spotify.

loddrik
    Free Member

Only ever stream now. Great quality. Most things available. I’m on 4g now so it loads up straight away. Even all my drum and bass stuff is now in google music so I don’t need anything on my phone anymore.

Always used to keep everything on my phone, filled up 32gb and even 64gb iPhones. Just gone down to a 16gb 5s, all photos and vids in flikr and music in spotify and google music. Now have 3gb free on my 16gb. Much much better. Much cheaper when need to replace phones too.

mattsccm
    Free Member

I am taking a guess here as I am genuinely not sure.
    I assume that streaming means getting music from the web. Stupid name that means nothing but anyway.
    I have never done it and can’t see why I would. To have to plug 🙄 a device into my Pc then carry that to the car.?????
    Phone? How do I get the music through the curly wire?
    I jest but barely. I do have a mobile but haven’t a clue where it is as I haven’t seen it since the last term ended and it cold be in one of several schools I do supply at. No great loss, cost me a tenner and I stick a tenners credit on every 6 to 9 months even if I don’t need it.
    there is a Cd player and radio in the car and at home I have to much to do than listen to music. as for having it on in public… bloody anti social and who the hell would use it in the woods and hills?

Drac

To have to plug a device into my Pc then carry that to the car.????

Plug it into a PC? How do you get your music into the car with your A track?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

My brother uses google play and a mate uses Spotify. Both rave about them and both have their advantages and disadvantages. I think I’m fussy and a bit old fashioned in that I want something smi-physical I cal lay my hands on so still but CDs and want to keep music files on my computer or nas drive. I d only use cloud based streaming for convenience rather than as a means to store my music. I’m coming round to the idea though. I’m just not sure how easy iris to move your purchased music from one service to the other should you decide to change service providers.

mattsccm
    Free Member

? did you mean 8 track?

Drac

? did you mean 8 track?

No idea I’m too young. *cough*

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

How do streamers play their music in the car?

loddrik
    Free Member

Stream to phone and plug phone into cars phono cable.

mattsccm
    Free Member

amazing!
    I do wonder how we survived 😆

kimbers

Happy to use my iPod especially in the car

How do u stream to the car in darkest no reception wales etc?

cinnamon_girl

I listen to CDs, yes I know, how quaint. Have an MP3 player for the bike wagon.

Dislike how music has become relegated to background noise and, in effect, trivialised.

Can’t beat being sprawled out on the sofa listening to classy music via a proper hifi with a 30 year old amp. That’s how it should be heard!

Ok ok back to my cave. 😉

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Lazy me, should have Googled it. Bluetooth radio seems like the only way you can ensure service won’t cut out due to signal dropout.

sc-xc

Unlimited data plan on mobile, Bluetooth stereo in car and van, airports in every room of the house and garden, spotify premium.

Brilliant.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Trailrider Jim – Member
    How do streamers play their music in the car?

Listen to the radio.

kiwijohn

Download.

_tom_
    Free Member

I’ll resist streaming for as long as possible or until it becomes consistent enough. I prefer having my “own” digital copy that I can play anywhere without needing a connection. I tend to buy the CD then rip it, then at least I have a hard copy. I don’t get good enough signal in the car to stream everything either.

I value quality as well, streaming music doesn’t tend to be great.

PS everyone should watch this

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDZcz-V29_M[/video]

Pembo
    Free Member

Spotify premium allows you to download playlists for offline listening. You choose the bitrate depending on how much space you have on your device and what quality you want. Bluetooth in the car picks it up as a source and I can use the steering wheel controls to move between tracks, but not playlists which would be nice. Sound quality in the car is good as you are never going to get great sound quality in that environment.

Greybeard
    Free Member

Why collect it when you can access anything at any time

To answer the question – I just spent 2 weeks in Greenland. No signal, so no streaming.

emsz
    Free Member

No

I download what I want to a pod, or y’know, make my own 😉

loddrik
    Free Member

To answer the question – I just spent 2 weeks in Greenland. No signal, so no streaming.

Download required music for off line listening before leaving. Takes minutes.

CountZero

kiwijohn – Member
    Why collect it when you can access anything at any time?

I wish I lived in your Utopia. I’m lucky if I get more than two bars of 3G signal during the day at work, and that can just disappear for extended periods, thirty minutes on Thursday afternoon, five to ten minutes on a regular basis.
    And that’s not out in the middle of nowhere, that’s in the middle of a large industrial estate next to a major trunk route to the south coast.
    Having music around is very important to me, there’s no way I’m trusting everything to someone else’s infrastructure.
    As it happens, most of the time I’m listening to 6Music, but streaming it now I’ve got a decent data allowance shows how far the networks have to go in getting consistent signal strength even in large towns.
    There are huge areas of North Wiltshire with little coverage, and I’m buggered if I’m going to fanny around having to download Spotify playlists every time I want to go out anywhere.
    The 200Gb or thereabouts on my Mac lets me vary what’s on the phone, and I have a full 160Gb Classic iPod.
    I’m looking into finding a way of putting a 250Gb SSD drive into it at some point.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I have all my CD’s etc loaded onto a PS3 and then play that through my AV surround sound system. Still buy CD’s and rarely stream although I do find new music through Nokia mix radio and then buy the CD.
    All CD’s stored in a big box in the attic, need to get one of those digi turntables so I can rip all my vinyl too.

kiwijohn

I wish I lived in your Utopia

It’s not too bad.
    I think this topic got a bit skewed between streaming & downloading. I do both pretty much equally.

cranberry
    Free Member

Do you regret not having to wear hob nailed boots to work? indoor toilets? Pencillin ?

It is perhaps to a certain extent normal that as you get old(er) you want to cling to some of the certainties of your youth, but progress marches on regardless.

Besides which, have you heard popular music these days ? It ‘aint worth collecting anyway. I caught a nice moment on Radio 2 the other day, some song with the line ( and perhaps it was one of two ) “I’m all about dat bass, ’bout that bass, no trouble”. Sir Terry was presenting and as the song came to a close he mentioned the name of the artiste and then added a quick “lyrics by Noel Coward”. He should have been given another Knighthood for that comment alone.

spooky_b329

My favourite Spotify playlists are saved to my phone so no need to eat your data allowance or suffer silence when there is no signal.

Playlists such as 6music and various Spotify charts are updated every few days and my phone is set to download them when on wifi at home so I can ‘stream’ without using huge amouts of data.

However I find streaming works incredibly well, it rarely drops out due to loading tracks ahead of time, it normally only happens if you change what you are listening to during in an area with bad reception.

I like streaming, I can pay my £10 per month to Spotify and don’t need to feel like I’ve thrown £15 down the toilet when I find the album I chose to listen to only has two half decent tracks on it!

robdob
    Free Member

If you lot keep getting rid of your CD’s then it makes them cheaper for me to snap up and enjoy proper quality music in good definition rather than that compressed crap. I can tell the different even in the car!
    Main reason people tend to do all this streaming stuff is to have constant music on in the background no matter they are. I worked in shops a long time and am sick of background music. When I listen to music I slip a CD in, and LISTEN to it, not just hear it…….

deejayen
    Free Member

I prefer to listen to music in decent quality if possible. I’ve recently bought a few 24-bit downloads, and those I’ve heard sound really good.

I often keep the same CD playing in the car for months, so I’m not too fussed about creating playlists, or jumping between different albums or artists.

stumpy01

I listen to CDs and still buy relatively regularly. I have them all on my phone too so can listen when out and about, but I have recently downloaded Spotify and am using it free at the moment. I also use Tune In radio.

Hopefully, I will soon be getting a NAS drive for the house and a Pure wireless speaker for the bedroom and the kitchen.

So, I’m kinda between the two. I like having Spotify and Tune In, especially on an unlimited data contract. But, like Cinamon Girl I love dragging out a pile of CDs if I’m on my own of an evening and trawling through them.

CountZero

Besides which, have you heard popular music these days ? It ‘aint worth collecting anyway. I caught a nice moment on Radio 2 the other day, some song with the line ( and perhaps it was one of two ) “I’m all about dat bass, ’bout that bass, no trouble”. Sir Terry was presenting and as the song came to a close he mentioned the name of the artiste and then added a quick “lyrics by Noel Coward”. He should have been given another Knighthood for that comment alone.

There’s your problem, right there! 😉
    Try 6Music, they’re continually playing new stuff that hasn’t been released yet; if I tried downloading everything I hear it’d cost me a small fortune!

Squidlord
    Free Member

I digitised all my stuff years ago. I don’t buy many cds nowadays, and ripping and importing only takes a few minutes anyway. I back up regularly.

Why would I give Spotify (or whoever) 120 quid a year to listen to stuff I already own?

winrya
    Free Member

£10 a month to Spotify and unlimited access to music. Bargain

wordnumb
    Free Member

No way am I letting the CIA know what tunes I’m bopping to, man.

mikey74
    Free Member

I never stream, unless I am checking out new music, with the intention to ultimately buy. However, I am moving away from buying CDs to downloading digital versions instead. I just need a car stereo that can take an SD card now.

Gunz
    Free Member

Some of the people here are missing the point a bit. If you download from Spotify to listen offline it’s exactly the same as having your old iPod, it’s not paying extra to listen to what you already own unless you intend never to try anything new and just because some of us stream doesn’t mean we just treat it as background music. Within one week of signing up to Spotify our CD collection just felt in the way. I do however also have a vinyl collection but just don’t seem to be able to break that habit. I don’t reckon the young give two hoots about what is just a change in listening habits.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 96 total)

The topic ‘Who else avoids streaming their music?’ is closed to new replies.