• This topic has 95 replies, 63 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by rone.
Viewing 16 posts - 81 through 96 (of 96 total)
  • Who else avoids streaming their music?
  • maxtorque

Normal Win PC, running a decent (stable!) media player.
    Cambridge Audio USB DAC is upsampling and separately clocked so most of the horrible PC based timing latency and jitter gets removed.
    Back to back with the original source material, played on my Arcam FMJ CD37 disc spinner, there is possibly a very very slight performance deficit, but tbh, it’s mainly just “different” rather than “worse” as the tonality is slightly different between the streaming DAC and the CDs DAC.

As compared to the same material streamed directly from Spotify, which sounds like it was recorded in a broom cupboard and someone has left a jacket over the mic 😉

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

I am just starting to get to the place where I can “stream” internally from a NAS. I have an iPod and was considering buying a classic to hold more stuff. Bad timing. 🙂 However, while the iPod is great for my commute or in the car allowing me to carry a bunch of my music without the baggage of a boot full of CDs I do not like the quality. That is the case too for the average internet streaming service as well – and if I am listening to music at home I want to listen to it in full from my hi fi. Sadly, my current hi fi is having to be sold (and at a bargaintastic price all things considered) as it takes up too much space but it is gorgeous. And it utterly exposes how bad compressed (well, mp3 anyway) music files are. I know there are services such as Qobuz that stream higher definition audio but you pay more for them. I find it sad that so many people are content with mp3 for their sum total music experience but that’s their choice really. I personally much prefer the richness and completeness of the full audio experience when I am relaxing at home. I can see the case for streaming media services as very much a great way to find new music, but at home I want to listen to it in full definition. Currently I do not really see the value I the streaming subscription services so bimble along with the free version of Spotify but am constantly aware that it is not the immersive and enjoyable experience I get when listening to CDs.

DezB
    Free Member

Jeez, I’m glad I’m not that anal about sound quality and can just enjoy music whether it’s on MP3, minidisc, CD, cassette, vinyl or live. Being all obsessive about the full audio experience must be a pain in the arse!

slowoldman

maxtorque – Member
    Normal Win PC, running a decent (stable!) media player.

Ah, I want to do away with having to have the mac on just to play music. I suppose I need to get a “proper” music streamer. Or stick with CDs.

DezB – Member
    Being all obsessive about the full audio experience must be a pain in the arse!

It’s quite straightforward really. All my music is either CD or Apple Lossless.

grievoustim
    Free Member

This thread makes my head hurt

I play CDs or records

Or listen to the radio

Ok. I do rip CDs to iTunes/ download free mp3s of records I have bought so I can listen to them on my phone when out and about

And I sometimes use free spotify on my laptop to sample albums before buying

But streaming/ NAS drives linked to the hi if all just sounds like a ball ache. Take music off shelf, play music, listen to music. Simple. I don’t want to have to perform IT troubleshooting in order to listen to Stevie Wonder. Ever.

flowmtbguy
    Free Member

The thing is.. I can’t see how anyone can possibly tell the difference between a 320mp3 and the original lossless file.. (assuming the mp3 was created from the lossless file in question…)

I wanted to believe that lossless or HD audio etc was way better. but it just isn’t.

Of course, a better DAC, better hifi, better speakers, better headphones etc will make a difference.

The main culprit is the low quality laptop speakers, £5 headphones etc.

I wrote this about the subject.

And then – collecting music isn’t all about the quality of a CD or Record vs the download – it’s about owning these items, having them on the shelves, reading the sleeve notes whilst you’re listening. But spending extra $$ on Wavs, or HD Flacs is just a waste of money IMO.

Paid up spotify premium subscriber here. CDs all in boxes in the cellar.

DezB
    Free Member

All my music is either CD or Apple Lossless.

Which is obiously a pain in the arse because you are limited to where you can play it. In the car – what about that road noise interfering!?

I can’t see how anyone can possibly tell the difference between a 320mp3 and the original lossless file.
    It depends how far up your own arsehole your head is when listening 😉

slowoldman

Which is obiously a pain in the arse because you are limited to where you can play it. In the car – what about that road noise interfering!?

I agree the car isn’t the best environment for listening to music.

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

Jeez, I’m glad I’m not that anal about sound quality and can just enjoy music whether it’s on MP3, minidisc, CD, cassette, vinyl or live. Being all obsessive about the full audio experience must be a pain in the arse!

Maybe you want to go back and read what was actually written and have a proper go at understanding it. 🙂

marmaduke
    Free Member

The thing is.. I can’t see how anyone can possibly tell the difference between a 320mp3 and the original lossless file.. (assuming the mp3 was created from the lossless file in question…)

I wanted to believe that lossless or HD audio etc was way better. but it just isn’t.

Fully agree, I would challenge any indignant audio quality expert on here to add the ABX tester plugin to Foobar2000 and test themselves. You’ll be amazed that there is NO perceptible audio difference when the expectation bias has been removed.

deejayen
    Free Member

My experience is that there’s a wide range of opinion on audio quality – everything from “there’s absolutely no difference” to “the difference is like night and day”. It’s quite astonishing, and potentially confusing and frustrating. I think you really have to listen and judge for yourself.

MrNice
    Free Member

My experience is that there’s a wide range of opinion on audio quality – everything from “there’s absolutely no difference” to “the difference is like night and day”. It’s quite astonishing, and potentially confusing and frustrating. I think you really have to listen and judge for yourself.

that “no difference” line always feels like someone claiming a £99 apollo is as good a bike as anyone needs. Not that there’s not a huge amount of BS amongst hi-fi types but a good system really does make the records come alive 😉

EDIT: I currently have only a portable DAB radio and it’s driving me nuts

marmaduke
    Free Member

that “no difference” line always feels like someone claiming a £99 apollo is as good a bike as anyone needs. Not that there’s not a huge amount of BS amongst hi-fi types but a good system really does make the records come alive

I have a sweet hi-fi, Objectivedac and O2 Headphone amp driving Sony MDR-V6 and AKG K-550. A 320kbps file sounds just as sweet as lossless. I have done the ABX test double blind on many people who where curious and none could tell any difference. I hate it when people moan about kidz today and their cr*ppy mp3s. The whole point of the mp3 codec is it removes audio data from the file which our brains/ears are literally unable to hear/process.

6079smithw
    Free Member

This music thing sounds interesting. What types are there?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The whole point of the mp3 codec is it removes audio data from the file which our brains/ears are literally unable to hear/process.

yeah but the feel of the unhearable is the best bit, just knowing that your hifi is playing sounds you can’t here should give any self respecting hifi nut a stirring in the trouser department. What directional digital cable for sounds you can’t hear?

rone

It’s a transcendent process; one minute I was listening via my arcam HiFi etc and the next I couldn’t abide owning cluttering-up CDs and material objects.

The point is – as with netflix the whole arena is changing and that is changing our habits. The quality will always be improving too.

I watch and listen to way more stuff now and no longer have to buy a CD that I only listen to once because it’s a dud.

I do like a good quality music system and viewing set up but I find the delivery of both the likes of Netflix and play music has oppened up the range of what I experience. Bluetooth streaming is also the icing on the cake for in the car, headphones and a decent home set-up (there are good BT speakers out there but you have to pay.)

I got lost in the HiFi world analysing quality without being into the music, this is quite the opposite

Viewing 16 posts - 81 through 96 (of 96 total)

The topic ‘Who else avoids streaming their music?’ is closed to new replies.