Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Whiskytrackworld: Haig Club
  • finbar
    Free Member

A.k.a. the new David Beckham whisky.

I tried some this afternoon. Smooth, easy to drink, something akin to a whisky-flavoured vodka. So it’ll be a great gateway drug introduction. BUT it’s £45 a bottle 😯 . What do you think? Any chance it’ll succeed? It does have a great advert.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaMuQPmzrrU[/video]

cozz
    Free Member

seen it in tesco

£45 for a blended whiskey – think its bended, wasnt with all the single malts

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

I seen it in Tesco on it’s own stand and assumed it was an aftershave…just thought the big bottle was for show.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

finbar
    Free Member

£45 for a blended whiskey – think its bended, wasnt with all the single malts

It’s a single grain whisky. So it’s made at a single distillery (which is how you define single malt), but instead of just malted barley like single malt, it’s also made from wheat (I think). Confused? I am.

ski
    Free Member

overpriced seems to be a common comment online, that and it would be better marketed as an aftershave?

finbar
    Free Member

Haha, yes, the bottle reminded me of medicine but it definitely looks like an aftershave 😆

kcal

Used to some grain whiskies available ages ago, 25 even 30 years ago I bought a bottle – think it was a single – Cameronbrig – it wasn’t that good…

Helps that supply of grain is *almost* limitless…

£45 a bottle is – quite a lot but not ridiculous..

ninfan
    Free Member

“Haig Club, A £45 Whisky for people who think they don’t like Whisky”

Whereas for £33.50: http://www.waitrose.com/shop/DisplayProductFlyout?productId=36964

A Whisky for people who like drinking Whisky

(though I’ve heard that batch 48 isn’t one of the best if you happen upon it)

peteimpreza

Ninfan how does that compare to Isle of Jura Superstition?

craigxxl
    Free Member

All branding and no taste. Its like a weak Glenmorangie which is saying something but lacks any after taste.
    Was advised to use it as a mixer but at a larger quantity than normal which seems pointless when I could use the bottle of Bells from the back of the shelf and actually taste something.

finbar
    Free Member

Was advised to use it as a mixer but at a larger quantity than normal which seems pointless when I could use the bottle of Bells from the back of the shelf and actually taste something.

I think it’ll work pretty well in cocktails, but again, that leaves you wondering why you’d spend £45 on it…

Thanks for that link ninfan, that’ll do for my Dad’s Christmas pressie.

ninfan
    Free Member

peteimpreza – I tasted the superstition actually, very nice and not as peaty as other jura

essentially, the difference between the two I’d say is that the a’Bunadh you get a lot more toffee sweet sherry body – plus its cask strength so you really notice the difference, opens up lovely with a dash of water (which I don’t feel is a crime with cask strength)

I’m on the bottom of a batch 28 at the moment, with a bottle of cask 39 and one of 41 to go, will pick up another while its cheap.

Garry_Lager

The Haig is pretty good IMHO – wouldn’t be my choice usually but I got a bottle as a gift. It’s v light tasting but all single grains I’ve had have been like that, so it seems in line with the style AFAICT.

It’s good for a bit of contrast – you can’t go ardbegeddon all the time. Compresses the palate.

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Dunno why people are saying it’ll be good in cocktails, if it’s got **** all flavour it’s not gonna add much to a decent drink. It’s cheap grain whisky marketed as a premium product for people who don’t like proper scotch. Nothing to see here, move on…

kcal

Antiquary blend used to be like that – a whisky for people that didn’t like whisky – or the ‘Edinburgh blend’ as it used to be known.

finbar
    Free Member

Dunno why people are saying it’ll be good in cocktails, if it’s got **** all flavour it’s not gonna add much to a decent drink

I wouldn’t go as far as saying it’s got **** all flavour, it’s just a fairly simple, sweet toffee/ginger tasting whisky. And there’s plenty of fantastic cocktails based on white grain spirit if you make the effort to make something/go somewhere decent.

slowoldman

I prefer my whisky straight – without the hype.

fannybaws
    Free Member

no idea about the drink but i like the ad.

filmed here i reckon. one of my favourite places though they have put up a few too many fences for my liking.

lilchris
    Free Member

no idea about the drink but i like the ad.

Needs more hipsters.
    4/10

fannybaws
    Free Member

perhaps an italian lakes boat would have been more appropriate….

jp-t853

I thought Beckham was teetotal

DaRC_L

Hmmm an http://www.malts.com they seem to suggest Cameron Brig for a Single Grain Whisky. It seems to be half the price of Haig Club… not that that’s going to tempt me away from Malts.

Not a fan of Jura Superstition but maybe because I prefer the Original.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

When I watched the advert I just thought four things in rapid succession:

Bunch of twerps.

Looks like a bottle of perfume.

Haig. Oh rilly?

What’s for dinner?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

It’s a single grain whisky. So it’s made at a single distillery (which is how you define single malt), but instead of just malted barley like single malt, it’s also made from wheat (I think)

FWIW grain whisky is made using unmalted cereal grains (eg barley, corn, wheat) in a continuous distillation (column still) process whilst malt is made using malted barley in a batch process (pot still). Cameron Brig is the only single grain you’re likely to come across but there are a few others. It’s drinkable, should be around £18-£20 btle and isn’t funding Mrs Beckham’s hobbies..

ninfan
    Free Member

You whisky lovers will love the serving suggestions

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p5MobJRq520[/video]

Why not just put coke or crabbies in it?

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Whiskytrackworld: Haig Club’ is closed to new replies.