Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • While we're on the subject of questionable classified ads…
  • MussEd
    Free Member

***EDIT*** I didn’t mean the ad refereed to was questionable – merely the “big look at me on the front page”

The post on here this afternoon, where the seller is “asking for advice” on getting his bike sold has lead me again to ponder the vagaries of internet classifieds.

In particular “testing the waters” or “possibly for sale” ads. Why do folk do this? What is the point of these types of ad? I can understand that someone may be in two minds about selling something, but if you’re really not sure, just don’t advertise? That’s not complicated is it?

I advertised a bike for months. Had a few folk interested but nothing solid, occurred to me that if I lowered the price then it may move. But I was always in two minds of getting rid of it – especially at a knockdown price, so in the end I just stopped advertising. I’ve still got it and still love it.

So don’t “test the waters”. Advertise it. If it sells it sells. If you don’t wan’t rid, don’t advertise it.

geoffj

cupra
    Free Member

Well said that man.

kimbers

seriously if anyone wants to buy my 29er wheels, siglespeed only, qr, good condition

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Only if they come with a blood sample drying on them.

EDIT:
    I make no disclaimer about not using that to grow a mini slave kimbers to clean and fettle my bikes for me.

wwaswas

***EDIT*** I didn’t mean the ad refereed to was questionable – merely the “big look at me on the front page”

So you were just testing the water with the thread title and then bottled it in the main text 😉

kimbers

different bike, these ones have never been crashed

ive actually left the blood splatter on my top tube, was thinking of taping over it to preserve a record

MussEd
    Free Member

wwaswas –

So you were just testing the water with the thread title and then bottled it in the main text

I’ve not even looked at the Ad in question so no idea if it’s questionable or not!

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

ive actually left the blood splatter on my top tube, was thinking of taping over it to preserve a record

Yeah man, do it.

There’s still a set of Snowdon-generated blood soaked plasters in my HT2 Deore chainset for that very reason.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Is ‘testing the water’ a little like being ‘curious’?

soobalias
    Free Member

fat bike curious.

pass the mind bleach.

chakaping
    Free Member

Wonder if that Curtis with the carbon bling ever sold?

Northwind

MussEd – Member

In particular “testing the waters” or “possibly for sale” ads. Why do folk do this? What is the point of these types of ad?

Sometimes you really want to sell something so might entertain offers, splits etc… But other times, you’re not so keen to sell, so you’ll want a really good price or simple sale. I think that’s more or less what they’re saying- “I might sell- I don’t need to sell- so don’t waste both our time with hard bargaining”

dbcooper
    Free Member

I don’t mind what they say, as long they stay in the classifieds…

tomd
    Free Member

I don’t mind what they say, as long they stay in the classifieds…

+1

On the bike parts for sale FB pages every other “ad” is something like:

“Thinking of selling my 2007 Specialized / Trek / Scott etc. etc anyone interested? Wanting to keep rear wheel and right hand grip though.”

**insert crudely taken mobile picture or screen grab from somewhere else**

Followed by a few piss taking comments, then “How much do you want?”

“Hoping for £2500. Has XTR rear mech fitted and gold cables”

bruneep

My reply is available on request.

email me or text me on 07898658742 as I’m not here often

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Saying that trying to sell things seems to be getting harder- I dont mind answering whether my bike is still for sale or providing information etc but all I ask is that if peeps decide its not for them just drop a line saying so – a quick email isnt hard to send surely

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘While we're on the subject of questionable classified ads…’ is closed to new replies.