Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Which track pump for tubeless?
  • davvey
    Free Member

ok I will ask you again were you the older guy who was stood there when it happened?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

hmmm davvey, not sure how this airshot could damage a tyre? its just a compressor in a can, pretty much like the homemade ones with pepsi bottles, how can a blast of air damage a tyre? it would have to bloody high pressure and fast to do so surely? and that thing would never in a month of sundays be more powerful than a garage workshop compressor I often use and never had it cause an issue! if it popped off the rim as he did it, it sounds like there is damage to the bead if anything, again nothing to do with an air can, its just air! its not got shards of glass in it!

sounds like the tyre was duff to me, and you need to just chill mannnnnnn, seriously taking a man to court over a tyre? you need to get over your self to be brutally honest, its a tyre, move on!

id be seriously interested in this airshot can though if it makes it out as it sounds like a better version of the home made one, probably a bit safer too

davvey
    Free Member

That’s the point he didn’t put 32lb in can he put allot more in, he put two cans worth in; he was trying to demonstrate that airshot can make the tyre “pop on”, my swamp thing tyres wont pop onto anything with 32lb no way I usually have to put much more in using a track pump. the point is then you let the air out as soon as is it’s popped on?????
    I don’t see what your missing here I was ready to let it go but after he got all corporate about his poxy air can I thought ‘no, you know what you knackered my tyre I want a new one’
    I m obviously on a different budget to allot of people on here.

So we are clear there isn’t a hole in the tyre the tyre’s bead is bent and the tyre itself is warped, the tyre worked fine before he used airshot on it. he approached me and asked me to demo his new invention, I was minding my own business changing my tyres from queens to mud tyres, he came along and asked if I would like to see a demo of his new invention. Needless to say I wasn’t impressed afterwards.

Like I say I was going to let it go but I saw him on here pushing his invention and I thought hold on you knackered my tyre so I gave my opinion based on what I experienced, then he got all corporate and official and tried to call me a liar.
    If you think I am sad for taking someone to court for a tyre what are they for taking me to court for liable?? liable? do you
    have any idea how much that will cost and how hard it is to prove? your talking solicitors for hundreds and hour over a £50 tyre, mental. if they lose what then? their reputation will not be worth a knackered tyre.

Listen mate if saw you or any other rider on a trail and you looked like you needed help I would help if I made the situation worse I would compensate you or at least offer to because in my line of work we have a saying “if you bend it you mend it”; I borrowed a bike from marin that weekend and I had a flat on it from stage three as it ran tubes, I offered to replace the tube they said no, I offered to buy them a coffee or some beer but they said no it’s ok.

They are a big company and can easily afford it, if was some bloke I would have mortified, I also borrowed pedals from another guy I gave him two cans of stella if I had damaged those pedals I would have bought him new ones.

If airshot want to sue me for liable let them, It will be just another story to tell people.
    All these people are the same they would rather hire a lawyer than replace a tyre.

People are lecturing me about the spirit of mtb?? eh?

Mark

Both of you need to take a breath and step back.

Both sides are starting to throw legal threats at each other now and this has now dragged us as moderators in to what is a personal dispute. So, what is going to happen now is that this topic will be closed. This statement of explanation will be left here for half an hour and then the thread will be deleted.

This dispute is now too serious to be battled out on our forum. I hope you both sort it out amicably without having to pay thousands of pounds to the solicitors sat in the wings, wringing their hands and smiling, while muttering, ‘Good…..Good….Good!’ to themselves.

UPDATE: At the request of Airshot I’ve reopened this thread now.

charlesj1987
    Free Member

We obviously have a difference of opinion that isn’t going to be resolved in a happy way for anybody continuing on in this vain; and, I don’t like seeing other people getting drawn into it on the forum and being upset. Because yes, I do try to be a nice guy and you’re right we are a small company, just starting out, not a big corporation, so of course taking legal action isn’t something I would ever want to do! My overreaction stems from the fact that I have worked hard to develop this product and am continuing to work hard to get the business off the ground.
    However, as you are so very upset – which isn’t something I’d want for anybody – I’d like to offer you a free Airshot product (once they became available) that you can use to prove to yourself that it works and doesn’t damage tyres; and, I’ll throw in a tyre for you to use Airshot on for the first time.
    At the end of the day, I was only trying to help you out at Dyfi when you were struggling with putting your tyre on the rim; and, I believe that the Airshot product that I have developed is a good one that can help mountain bikers like us with this problem.
    Let me know if you wish to take up this offer of the free product and tyre.

Thank you

Charles.

jekkyl

Result!

Probably a wise thing to do, this forum does get a lot of traffic.

tragicallyhip
    Free Member

Nice one Charles, you can’t be fairer than that, hope that settles it for you Davvey.

iain1775
    Free Member

Hadn’t heard of Airshot until I read this
    I want one when they are released and none of this has put me off, so inadvertently Davvey has got you some pretty good publicity especially as I would have skipped past the thread if it hadn’t been locked (suspect a few people the same)

Back to OP – Joe Blow and washing up liquid, after using a tube first, works for me Hans Damf on Stans Flow rims

nemesis
    Free Member

For me the solution isn’t really with compressor or model of track pump but in the preparation – get the right amount of tape on the rim for a tight (but not impossible!) fit and then ensure that a large amount of the bead is already seated (which you can do with a decent tyre lever) just leaving the part furthest from the valve in the central well. The stick pretty much any track pump on and pump quickly until it pops on.

(I accept that there are probably some combinations that this probably won’t work on BUT in those instances I think I’d be wary of using them as to me that says that they don’t work well together and are more likely to burp/leak. IMO of course)

Or you can get something like the airshot which I tend to agree seems unlikely to have caused the aforementioned problems and to some extent allows you to put it all together with less care.

batfink
    Free Member

I will be buying an air shot too…. They look great!

Painey
    Free Member

taking me to court for liable??

Not heard of that before!

Airshot looks like a great product that I’ll be looking into. The soapy water and Joe Blow combo normally works but can be a bit of a faff. Anything to make life simpler is welcomed by me.

taxi25
    Free Member

I’ve been waiting for a product like this for a while, so will deff buy one when they become available.
    But I do think some of you are being a bit hard on davvey. I can well imagine that using a second fully charged unit to completely “pop” the bead into place could damage a tyre. Loads of times I’ve had to pump a tyre, especially a dry one, up to its maximum pressure before its completely seated. Sometimes not even then and the washing up liquid has had to come out.
    When mine comes I’ll use it to get the initial seal, then inflate it gradually with a track pump to completely seat the bead.

jairaj

Aww come on guys, group hug!!!

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

+1 for buying, cant wait tbh, hopefully no more trips to lbs just to get my goddamn tyres up

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Which track pump for tubeless?’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM