Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Which track pump for tubeless?
  • Pieface

Is there a decent, cheap(ish) trck pump that shifts enough air to do my tubeless tyres?

I tried building the Ghetto compressor but couldn’t manage to get a good enough seal around the valves on the bottle top above 60 PSI.

Yak

Standard dirt drive works well enough. The gauge seems to be a random number generator though.

Northwind

My Air Tower 2s work pretty well, they’re £25 new- they’re pretty cheap and nasty to be honest but have a good big piston which works better for tubeless than most.

mrben100
    Free Member

Try with a tube first to press the bead into the rim, then remove tube and pump up with tyre fully bedded one side. I had a set of schwalbe tubeless the were so flexible was impossible any other way.

I use a joe blow max and works on all my other tubeless.

jairaj

You want a high volume pump so look for pumps with a large diameter air tube.

Lezyne do a specific high volume range a bit on expensive side but they are well made and last well.

Simon

After years of struggling with a cheap Edinburgh Bikes track pump I bought a Joe Blow Mountain. It pumps up tubeless tyres very well.

dirtydog
    Free Member

+1 For Joe Blow Mountain.

superfli
    Free Member

+2 JBM

warpcow
    Free Member

+1 for Air Tower 2. It’s very plasticky but mine’s a good few years old now and still works just fine.

guystabler
    Free Member

Just bought a Joe Blow Mountain and impressed how easy to install tubeless compared to other pumps.

torihada
    Free Member
    rob8624
    Free Member

Someone I know has developed just the thing! Have a look…..

Home

kwack
    Free Member

now that looks great

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Any track pump. Make yourself a bottle inflator for seating the bead.

rob8624
    Free Member

Kwack- yeah looks awesome. Haven’t tried the airshot system yet as I still use good old inner tubes!

davvey
    Free Member

Don’t use airshot it destroys your tyres. the guy who invented it wrecked one of my tyres at dyfi this year…..and no he didn’t offer to replace it either.

chrisdw
    Free Member

^^ Considering it works no differently to a compressor or a ghetto inflator, I highly doubt it was the Airshot. Sounds like your tyre was already buggered or he somehow wrecked it himself.

cliffyc
    Free Member

@rob8624,went to Airshot site. Neat idea but I think rider on home page possibly eyeing up totty,and not the track ? . 🙂

nedrapier

My track pump gave up the ghost this morning.

been thinking about tubeless, so a high volume one makes sense, but I’d also want to use it for road tyres as well.

Are there any that are switchable? I think I saw one once. was it a Leyzene? If it’s more expensive than 2 “normal” topeaks, I might get those.

Maybe not though – I’m eyeing up the new fat bike one for the trials bike and 3 track pumps might be excessive!

stanleigh
    Free Member

I’ve got a cheap M-Parts job .

I’m lucky , I’ve found a decent Tyre / Rim combo , so pumps straight up every time , no dramas. 🙂

skiprat
    Free Member

Lots of good soapy, push the tyre to the rim and pump. I’ve a Decathlon track pump and the first time i tried it, i went red pumping away like a mad man. Nothing.

Stick on a lot of suds and with a bit of quick pumping they’ve all been up fine since.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

high volume and high pressure :

http://www.topeak.com/products/Pumps/JoeBlowAce

nedrapier

Cheers TG.

Lawks! £75/ £80? We’re well into 3 track pumps, territory, aren’t we?!

I think 260psi is more than I need too!

nedrapier

Turns about a bit of thought and fiddling plus a fraction of a penny’s worth of electrical tape were all that was needed to fix the track pump.

I’ll get a low pressure guage with a pressure release button for the trials bike, some soap and technique for toobless, and it’s fine for road tyres, I stay the side of 100 on 25c and 28c anyway.

And with £75 I just saved… 😀

blanklook

Ghetto inflator plus Joe Blow Mountain – the inflator is just such fun – could not wipe the smile off my face after tyres went up first time.

charlesj1987
    Free Member

Davvy, I would appreciate if you did not make up claims that Airshot damaged your tyre, your tyre blew off the rim due to being damaged. Airshot will inflate a 26″ tyre to a maximum of 32 PSI. The product has been tried and tested with hundreds of people and this has never occurred before. UKGE are more than happy for Airshot to sponsor them next year due to that weekend when we helped struggling racers.

Northwind

I wonder what could be special about compressed air out of an airshot that could cause damage that other compressed air can’t. Is it sharper, or maybe not Enduro Specific air?

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

+whatever for Joe Blow Mtn.

jairaj

Any more news on the Airshot? When is it coming out and how much?

charlesj1987
    Free Member

We made a few changes to the design to make it look better (you can see updated design on Facebook page), so this has delayed it a bit. We will keep you updated on our website, Facebook and Twitter. The RRP will be £49.99.

Home

https://www.facebook.com/airshotlimited

Cheers

davvey
    Free Member

Charles I am sorry there is nothing made up about my tyre or infact your tyre which the airshot system did the same thing to. I believe it was a maxiss high roller? 29′ I think??? it was lying deformed on the floor next to the rear of your van, I didn’t realise you had knackered your tyre until you had already wrecked mine. You say my tyre was damaged? how do you know it was damaged? did you inspect it? if you knew it was damaged then why did you inflate it. trust me your trying to start a business but operating like this and acting cheap wont get you anywhere. anyone who wants to come and look at my tyre? no problem they can, its still on my garage floor where it will stay until I end up using it as evidence. I am sorry Charles but your going about this the wrong way; I just want my tyre replaced.

philjunior
    Free Member

Ignoring any potential innovations, and claims of consequent damage, which may or may not have happened but probably weren’t due to the innovation, if you build the rim well up the right level with plastic tape and/or velox rim tape and a rubber rim strip, you don’t need to put the air in that fast, any old track pump should do the job.

Northwind

Davvey, what’s your alternative reason for the tyre to blow off? Tyre damage is the obvious explanation (or unsuitability for tubelessness). Rim damage is another but you seem to have ruled that out.

So the only other possible cause is overpressure, but that doesn’t seam feasible considering how small the bottle is. Charles is saying it can only take your tyre to 32psi, which isn’t high enough to blow a healthy tyre off a healthy rim.

The airshot’s just doing exactly what an air compressor would do (or even a track pump- just faster).

charlesj1987
    Free Member

We are sorry you feel that Airshot damaged your tyre, Airshot will only inflate a tyre to 32 PSI maximum on a 26″ rim, it has been engineered to do this. My tyre was damaged due to stage 5 of Dyfi where I pulled it off the rim on a corner and rode it down the field flat, hence damaged side wall, it was also a 650B ardent.Like I said before I have tried and tested this hundreds of times. The Airshot system has been safety tested by an independent professional company to ensure damage like this does not occur.

tragicallyhip
    Free Member

Davvey, I was there, your tyre blew off the rim because it had a flaw, Airshot can only pump the tyre up to a certain pressure so how did it happen? By what mechanism? You’re annoyed because you lost a tyre, get over it mate..

tragicallyhip
    Free Member

..and I can confirm Charlesj1987’s account that his tyre was trashed by riding it flat and that Airshot actually managed to get it on his rim despite the damage, it just wasn’t very round hence binning it, the damage had nothing to do with Airshot.

davvey
    Free Member

sorry again;
    1 my rim isn’t damaged it was fine then and it’s still fine now; ztr arch
    2 my tyre was designed to be run tubeless; maxxis swampthing ust maybe the system works it didn’t work on my tyre on that day and I am the one with a knackered tyre.
    3 its a public blog I am giving my honest opinion if you don’t like what I have to say look away.
    4 if you want to look at the rim that’s no problem either its also in my garage with a tyre on it running fine.

davvey
    Free Member

his airshot didn’t manage to get it on the rim did it ? because it blew off shortly before mine did. I heard it go and didn’t pay it any attention it was only when mine went he laughed and admitted that it had happened to his a minute earlier. by the way which bloke were you because there were only three people present when my tyre blew up. me Charles (the young welsh guy) and an older guy. I take it you must be him we spoke about the incident later that day.

davvey
    Free Member

here is an email from Airshot seems like a nice bloke and in no way flapping or trying to be threatening. call me naïve but to play “the big scary corporation” you need to be one, not some bloke who wrecks his own tyre with his own invention and then has to borrow a tyre from his mate to race.

Any way here is a nice line he just sent me….a liable case for an air bottle can’t wait for this one.

Dear David,

Following from the previous emails regarding small claims proceedings I must highlight that the action can NOT be brought against Airshot Ltd because I was acting as a private individual when I attempted to help you with your tyre. There was no exchange of monies and the actual device was my personal property. However if you wish to pursue your claim against me as an individual you need to be aware that I have several witnesses from that day that will substantiate the events – the device I used was not at fault as that particular bottle only has the capacity to deliver 32 psi. Not enough to cause tyre failure of your Maxxis tyre which is capable of 60 psi.

However your comments on a public blog site against Airshot Ltd are libellous. Our legal advisors are deciding at this time whether it is worth pursuing a counter claim against you personally for your comments.

To this end could you provide Airshot Ltd with your personal address for further official communications.

Regards

AirshotLtd

“The easy way to inflate tubeless bicycle tyres”

Email : info@airshotltd.com

tragicallyhip
    Free Member

You really do personify the spirit of MTB don’t u! Go ride your bike and chill out.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Which track pump for tubeless?’ is closed to new replies.