• This topic has 80 replies, 44 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by edd.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)
  • Which sub £100 trail lights?
  • ncfenwick
    Free Member

Can anyone receomend any decent lights for off road use that I can get for under £100?

I do not fancy buying anything from the far east so just lights I can order in the UK please.

So far I have found these…

Electron Terra 2

Lumilite P7

Cheers

clubber
    Free Member

Deal Exteme have a UK warehouse now:

http://club.dealextreme.com/forums/Forums.dx/threadid.954315

eg this is the MJ-808 DX light that lots of us have (and I’d recommend) from a UK warehouse

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/mj-808-ha-iii-ssc-p7-c-sxo-3-mode-900-lumen-led-bike-light-set-904444459

clubber
    Free Member

Oh, though I notice it’s currently out of stock 🙁

mchlptchr
    Free Member

Magicshine.

Been using my MJ-808 for nearly a year and have been very impressed. Works fine on its own and i’ve been very impressed by Magicshine’s service & delivery times.

http://www.magicshineuk.co.uk/

stumpy01

How about a light from smudge, who frequents this site & does batteries, lights etc….?

http://www.mtbbatteries.co.uk/4.html

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

I had the Terra 2 was very good 🙂

z1ppy

As per AlexSimon, if I didn’t already have light’s, I’d be split between Smudge’s (MTB Batteries) XM-L unit or the 1600lumen 4x Cree LED units (MJ872/MJ856’s) on ebay.
    Friend has one on order, so will test/compare them soon (I have a Smudge XML)

Taff
    Free Member

I’ve just bought a set from DE but if I can’t source a suitable head torch and I like the DE light then I may buy Smudge’s version rather than wait a few weeks. Emailed him for advice the other day and he was very helpful and also has a very good reputation on here.

ransos
    Free Member

What’s the consensus for the best cheapish headtorch?

owenfackrell
    Free Member

stumpy01 – Member
    How about a light from smudge, who frequents this site & does batteries, lights etc….?

http://www.mtbbatteries.co.uk/4.html

I have just got one of these and it is very well made and bright and smudges service couldn’t be better.

5lab

can the MJ-808 DX light be completely helmet mounted (battery and light)? is 900 lumens considered enough? I don’t need to light a footy pitch, but do need to see the trail 🙂

sorry for my noobie questions

clubber
    Free Member

The MJ808 is plenty bright enough – it’s at least twice as bright as what was considered useable about 5 years ago…

5lab

thanks. it looks similar to the ‘headtorch’ light – has anyone actually lid mounted that?

br
    Free Member

The basic P7 light with battery bag sold for £40 across ebay works well and manages 2h40m on full power, although that hasn’t stopped me now spending far too much on an another Exposure light to match up with my helmet mounted Joystick…

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

not far eastern and not a torch, but I am a big fan of niterider stuff. My Halogen light lasted 12 yrs and only died as I neglected the battery. Got a 150 lumen Minewt USB which is plenty bright enough to get around SITS with no issues, and CRC are doing it in brighter variants for comfortably less than a ton

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=54535

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=70834

quick charge, long life, well made. Ive no idea why people need 1000 lumens, I happily rode with a 15W halogen helmet mount on all sorts of trails (and my night laps were quicker than my day laps at MM/SITS).

reggiegasket
    Free Member

MJ-872 here. Very impressed.

£90 off ebay from magicshineuk

nick5
    Free Member

Iv’e just bought a jetbeam pa40 from flashaholics. Its 468 lumens. Use it on my helmet and have been very pleased. It cost £70 and uses 4 AA’s so quite versitile. I didn’t know about the ebay light though, so may have gone for that.

Northwind

Just did my first ride with a new Magicshine XML light… very spotlighty, but the power of the beam is ridiculous, makes my older P7s seem dull. The pattern’s not ideal- the main beam is very bright then there’s a less bright (but still well lit) halo, but because of the sheer power of the centre spot and the hard cutouff it still seems dull. I’m pretty sure that the overall useful spread and fill is better than my P7s, but it doesn’t feel like it when riding.

Still, it’s a fantastic head light. Wouldn’t put it on the bars.

Taff
    Free Member

Still, it’s a fantastic head light. Wouldn’t put it on the bars

Not what I’m wanting to hear!!

Northwind

Sorry dude! You might find your results vary, I’ve not got great night vision so the high contrasts might give me more trouble than normal people.

Did I mention it’s a fantastic head light? It really is… Weighs very little too.

stayhigh

IIRC there were some issues with the batteries not being very well sealed on some earlier models. How do the new ones compare? Some of the newer variants have a battery with a display on them, are these any good?

I’d b looking a5 psiring one of these with my DIY hammond box light on either bars or lid depending.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

I wrote up the 4*xpg mj-872 review mentioned up above.

I can only add that I’m a fan of cheap lights and tend to buy one each year (which makes them not so cheap!) I’ve owned an original P7 bastid, a mickey mouse and and XML before I got the mj-872.

I dont quiet know how to put this – but similar to Northwind – the XML’s hotspot overwhelms my eye (or minds eye) : if that makes sense.

When in the woods at night the XML has a small fantastically lit and well defined hot spot. On the other hand it is very difficult to tell where the centre of the mj-872’s beam is. It’s that “wide” in use. But it is a lot more expensive.

stayhigh – the later batteries are much much better sealed. The one with the display is so sealed could probably be used outside a submarine. But as someone pointed out – they are heavier than the recent non-display ones.

maxray
    Free Member

I use Terra 2s for unlit b roads and canals. Got them because I prefer the charging system to aa bats. They have been fine in wet conditions and the charge lasts well.

AlexSimon

See another thread where I got a reflector out of a p7 and put it in the XML in order to make the beam a flood. The reflectors cost around £9 if you don’t have a spare already.
    AFAIK Smudge’s light already includes a orange peel reflector, but I don’t know how this compares.

It’s a shame the XML manufacturers didn’t just do a little more research before producing. If it had been floodier then it would have been a perfect budget light.
    I’ll be keeping my eye open to see if the specs on DX change.

stayhigh

Ging back to batteries it would seem that only the more expensive lights on DX have the new style LED battery. I’ll have atrawl over flea bay and see what that turns up.

If nothing useful then I may go for the Smudge light on the premise that he knows more about these things then me lol

That and it will get here sooner rather then the DX lottery post 😉

Taff
    Free Member

See another thread where I got a reflector out of a p7 and put it in the XML in order to make the beam a flood. The reflectors cost around £9 if you don’t have a spare already.

So that’s all it takes to change it to a flood then?! Have you got a before and after beam shot on that other thread?

AlexSimon

Sorry Taff, no – I should do one I suppose!

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Anyone know where the best price can be had for the MJ-872.

Looks like the best value for money performance light out there.

Looking to have my first off road rides this winter. 😀

pedlad

nick5

that jetbeam one (xm-l but using AA’s looks exactly what I’m after). Run times look ok and I’m keen to use my stock of rechargeable AAs and good charger rather than invest in a whole new set up of 18650’s.

How do you mount it (I have a lockblock for my current fenix)?

Is it light enough to wear on the helmet though in your experience? Or are you quickly developing the neck muscles of an F1 driver?

Note just weighed 4 x AA = 100g so plus torch is 285g….not sure what people think of that on the

z1ppy

Stevewhyte: no experience of the seller but off-hand these are seemingly the cheapest

sandwicheater

I’m chuffed to bits this topic had popped up. Been racking my brain for what light to get Mrs S’eater that didn’t cost the earth. Didn’t realise there was so much choice.

failedengineer

Where can one obtain a floody reflector for the latest XML lights for £9? I’ve just bought one and it does seem a bit spotlighty.

AlexSimon

failedengineer I saw them here, but this isn’t the route I went down so can’t guarantee it’s the same (although it should be).
    http://www.magicshinebikelights.co.uk/magicshine-mj-808-silver-reflector-cup.php?it=56&ca=12&p=1&so=0#

I think I might have seen them on ebay too, but can’t be sure.

failedengineer

Thanks Alex.

IA

Just want to put in a quick +1 for smudge at mtbbatteries.co.uk

Got a light off him this week, and so far seems good – though I need to test it in anger still. I will say his customer service is *fantastic* though. Good comms before buying, he posted promptly so it would arrive when it suited me, and there was a problem with my head unit but he had a new one in the post as soon as I told him – couldn’t be happier with the service. And he even threw in a rear light for my trouble.

I’ll do a full write up of the light once I’ve had a change to test it properly. I’m pretty sure I made the right choice though. Comes with a decent bar and helmet mount, though it’d be a battery in the back pocket job.

ncfenwick
    Free Member

Wow thanks for all the replies that’s a lot of info to consider!

So what is the difference between the Magicshine MJ-808 (Link) and the light from mtbbatteries.co.uk (Link)? Is one better than the other?

Thanks

z1ppy

Smudge/MTBbatteries will actually back up his product unlike MagicshineUK? 😉
    They look to be very very similar, the MS even has the orange peel reflector as has Smudges, unlike most of the DX ones.
    Though as Smudge has posted before, his are not MS units, to the point they have different connections.

No personal experience MS-UK, as I thought them extremely over-priced, compared to DX when they 1st started up, but some posts suggest their warrenty support isn’t the greatest.

ncfenwick
    Free Member

Thanks for that z1ppy.

Also, what would be the equivalent light from DealExtreme?

IA

May or may not be biased, but http://www.torchythebatteryboy.com/p/magicshine.html puts me off magicshine a bit – then again the guy that runs that site still sells MS lights on ebay..so…*shrug*

I went with MTBB for the uk service/backup, and I’m glad I did. Obviously I don’t have an MJ808 here to look at, but I do have a MTBB one, so if you’ve any questions about it/accessories I can try answer them/take some pics. I was going to do some beam shots at some point, but dunno if i’ll get out this weekend at night, then i’m away for work next week.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘Which sub £100 trail lights?’ is closed to new replies.