Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Which Steel Hardtail – Help me Decide
  • who
    Free Member

Thought I'd pick the collective STW brain,

I don't like to rush into things but I've found myself with just over a week to go till the cheddar bike fest and only an Specialized SX trail in the shed and a pile of bits (minus a frame) waiting to be built into a XC/trail bike.

I'm specifically looking for a steel frame as I've really liked the feel of previous steel frames I've owned and the outgoing cove stiffee has left me wanting something a bit more 'supple' if that's the right word. Basically I need something that'll take a 120/130mm fork that'll build up reasonably light (around 27lbs) for general trail riding and the odd enduro.

The budget is £250-300 and i was hoping to pick up a 2nd hand cotic soul but the only one I'd found suitable has just fallen through. given the time scale I'm now looking at buying something brand new

The shortlist so far:
    On-one Inbred (standard or 456) – hugely under budget so maybe a few upgrades else where, had a standard one a few years back and really liked it
    Dialled bike PA – don't really know much about these
    Kenesis Decade Virtue – kinda cool as there's not many about (yet) anyone know who's got a 18" in stock, also slightly over budget
    Any other suggestions?

Basically just wanted to hear peoples opinions on these frames or any other recomendations

Thanks in advance

epicsteve
    Free Member

Despite the frame being fairly heavy it's not difficult to build a 27lb Inbred. My poverty spec one (mostly Deore) is 24lbs with RC31's currently but I've a set of Floats to go on it and then it'll be about 27lb.

Given how cheap the Inbred is, and given you liked the one you had, it seems like a pretty safe choice.

RealMan
    Free Member

Handjob?

who
    Free Member

Realman, I'll resist the inuendo. I did have a look but they're quite a bit over budget unless you know of any going cheap?

epicsteve, you're probably right, have you got a 456 or standard inbred, is the standard OK upto 130mm forks?

firestarter
    Free Member

ive a 456 in small and it comes in at 27.8 pounds but thats with xm321/hopexc wheelset on not the lightest and fox talas forks again not lightest. finishing kit is raceface havoc and onone so lots to be saved there too . so i cant imagine it would be too hard to get under 27 if that were your goal and its always nice to have spare cash for shiney bits 😉 oh and ride wise i like mine set at 120mm and 140mm so 130 will be fine

epicsteve
    Free Member

Current one is a slot-dropout (I've got an older geared frame as well) and according to on-one it's optimised for 4-5" forks so it should be ok for 130mm. I've only ever run 100-105mm forks myself though.

dangriff
    Free Member

I built up a tinbred with a load of 8sp XTR stuff bought off here second hand and parts I had lying around the garage. The intention was to build a bike to tow the kid's trailer and use as a winter hack/pub bike/commuter. The reality is I like it so much that I may use it rather than my brand new road bike for my forthcoming Cardiff to London charity ride and it's fine for chucking round Welsh hills.

Cost me under £200 in total, but it's my favourite at the moment.

I can probably make your decision 33% easier as I only have 19" Prince Alberts in stock and it seems like that will be too big for you.

Sorry!

chakaping
    Free Member

Genesis Altitude frame got to be worth a look. Secondhand if they don't sell new as frame only?

Or one of them Pipedreams or Sandersons?

tinribz
    Free Member

There's an Altitude 853 17.5 going for a song at the moment on ebay, finishing in a couple of hours.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120463503207&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Mister-P
    Free Member

That is a bargain. I was looking at selling my 2009 Altitude 853 frame but I would want a lot more than that for it!

saladdodger
    Free Member

I have gone back to a steel hardtail after years of full sus riding, the problem was I enjoyed riding my Cotic Simple s/s too much.

I realy like the cotic but they are too bloody expensive nowadays, and I used to have a inbred s/s which I liked

So I hads a go on a mates 456 SOLD ordered one immediatly,built it up tuesday and I have not had the chance to ride it yet 😥 bummer, at £125.01 you cannot go wrong

But with xt groupset thomson post and stem, Mav sc32 forks etc fully built it come in at just under 26lbs and looks the mutts nutts.

roll on tomorrow

Bimbler
    Free Member

I'll be selling my large Cotic Soul when I get around to breaking it up – probably next week, may be too big for you though? It's a 2006 Matt black with Orange decals

cynic-al
    Free Member

The frames originally listed are not that light and won't feel that supple (tho they might in comparison to a stiffee)

Sanderson?

That genesis should be nice…

DezB
    Free Member

This'un could be a bargain:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320417261517&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Er, yeah someone already posted it. 😳

JxL
    Free Member

I love my Kinesis Virsa, reasonably light weight, vertical + horizontal dropouts and handles nicely.

Some more pics:

http://jxl01.pinkbike.com/album/Kinesis-Decade-Virtue/

I bought mine from local bike shop (Broadgate Cycles), they ordered it from Kinesis and also got a free kinesis QR clamp. I did wait around 2 months as they were having suppliers issues.

P.S mine is also 18", and its perfect being 6ft2 and 33-4" inside leg. Seat post is maxed out but spot on.

hora
    Free Member

How much does the PA weigh Mike?

OP that 853 on ebay looks spot on for you.

Sanderson as well but its too much?

alpin
    Free Member

another nod for the Sanderson….. Breath is cro-mo but rides brilliantly.

not sold on this 853 thing despite having one.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Who got the Genesis then?

scotabroad

I had a geared on one for a couple of years and recently sold it and bought a 2nd hand 853 prince albert. I do prefer the PA to the on-one, I have much better longer travel forks on the 853 and its a bigger frame but I do prefer it for my style of riding. To me it does feel more "planted" and comfortable, but that could be due to the size/ forks/ geometry. If your budget is tight there is nothing wrong with the on-one and I did like mine, but if you can pay more I would be tempted by the PA.

GaryLake
    Free Member

I've got a Reynolds 520 SS Genesis that is basically a slot drop out Altitude (Genesis iO) running on a set of 100mm floats. Wicked little bike and definitely got that spring to it. Surprises me every time I ride it…

Fancy an Orange R3 or a Cotic Soul but they'd have to more than a little bit special to make me give up the Genesis – I'm sure the 853 Altitude can only be better and lighter than the already great 520 ones.

Hora, I don't know how much a PA weighs. Maybe someone who was bothered enough to weigh one can tell me. My guesstimate is probably 5.5lbs/5.75lbs for a large frame, which is all I have left.

Northwind

I keep saying the same thing, but it's good advice… An Inbred or 456 costs £125 just now, as long as they have your size, but they're still selling used (and hammered) on ebay for around a ton. So, get one of those, and even if you don't like it the loss is small. And, if you really want something else, it gives you a spacefiller so you can be patient and wait for the perfect used Soul or whatever.

hora
    Free Member

Ok 🙄 …how much do Half X Plasma's weigh? 8)

Speshpaul

"On-one Inbred (standard or 456) – hugely under budget so maybe a few upgrades else where, had a standard one a few years back and really liked it"
    Thats your question answered really, for £125 you can't go wrong. Plus on-one are doing a FSA finishing kit cheap as well.

So far i'm in love with my soul, although it hasn't seen enough action yet. They are very very well made and finished. I wanted one so i brought one.
    But if you want a good cromo frame for the price of a pair of good tyres and a take away. Then its got to be a on-one.

hora
    Free Member

Must admit. The Inbred with slight/latest changes should be on your list. Ridiculous value at the price. They should be forced to charge more!

DezB
    Free Member

Who got the Genesis then?

2 days left

renton
    Free Member

456……………

any excuse to get piccys up!!

currently sporting a bent on one seatpost 😥

Speshpaul

Renton i don't like the look off those tyres.
    IGMC

younggeoff

Is it just me or does the seattube above the top tube lok bent on rentons on-one??

Mackem

Orange P7 – The classic do it all/all day bike.

Shack
    Free Member

Got a medium Soul hanging in the garage. Its Black with factory wrap decals (white & grey) and is the latest version with the three hose mounts on the top tube. Usual marks, bit of chain suck on the drive side stay other than that tidy. £300 posted, £280 collected if you're interested.

who
    Free Member

Shack,

I've just ordered an Inbred but as it's unlikely to be despatched until monday I may be able to cancel it if your soul looks ok. Could you drop us an email with some pics and let me know where abouts you live to see if collection is an option. I'm away now until sunday afternoon but will get back to you then.

email in profile

Cheers

who
    Free Member

Thanks to everyone else for their input

willej

Hope I'm not too late but I'm loving my new Sanderson Breath

Weighs 29lbs as above but I reckon I could shave at least 3lb off with lighter forks, rims, tyres etc.

alpin
    Free Member

i see you (very nice!) black Breath and raise you a grey Breath!

don't know what mine weight but i'd guess a bit less than 29lb cos i've got air Revs.

ahh, but i've just seen you running 1×9. a few ounces saved there…

willej

It's not the best photo but its dark green, not black. This photo shows it a little better…

Built it up at the weekend in 1×9 mode so that I didn't have to do it in a few weeks when the mud is here, until next July ;o)

roper
    Free Member

Oh go on then.
    No recent photos so a couple of small changes

(apologies for the naff photo)

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Which Steel Hardtail – Help me Decide’ is closed to new replies.