Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Which gloves for the winter mtb riding?
  • deano8
    Free Member

I’m limited to the following as I need to send present back.
    My hands are normally only cold for the first 20 minutes of riding

Sealskinz Ultra grip
    Endura Windchill
    Polaris Dry Grip
    Altura Raceline

Any advice welcome:)

grahamt1980

Have you looked at the royal mercury gloves.
    Wind proof but without a lot of insulation.
    I run hot so they are perfect for me.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Specialized Deflect, better than anything I have tried over the years.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    deano8
    Free Member

Ok, it looks like I can get a refund so suggestions welcome.

gee
    Free Member

Specialized Radiant for when it’s absolutely freezing and raining.

Castelli Estremo when it’s a little warmer and not raining.

I always wear inner gloves with either of these, they make a huge difference to warmth. Currently using Assos inner gloves but have also used Gore which are just as good.

GB

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Glacier gloves perfect curves. Needs to be about -2 for them to be effective, as they are too flipping hot!

ElShalimo

Does anyone know of any gloves that are toasty warm, waterproof and windproof but more importantly come in small sizes and still give you enough dexterity to change gear etc?
    My wife suffers from Renaud’s but loves riding. She gets really sore hands if it’s proper cold

breadcrumb

Have you looked at the royal mercury gloves.
    Wind proof but without a lot of insulation.
    I run hot so they are perfect for me.

I picked up a pair of these for just over £12 @ CRC. Not done a bitterly cold ride but they’ve been great at 5°.

hora
    Free Member

Aldi Primaloft 40gm ski gloves £4.99. They WORK

djflexure

Montane extreme gloves here – best I’ve had by far

CraigW
    Free Member

Does anyone know of any gloves that are toasty warm, waterproof and windproof but more importantly come in small sizes and still give you enough dexterity to change gear etc?

Hotpog pogies. They are rather warm, plus still let you change gear etc. If its really cold you can wear some warm gloves inside the pogies.

JoeG
    Free Member

Pogies +1. I bought a set of these cheap ones last year for winter riding. They make a huge difference!

Northwind

I like my Mercurys but they’re not a winter glove imo, sort of wet/coldish 3-season. Mind you maybe that’s all you need, you obviously run hotter than me.

Love my Perfect Curves, but they’re properly super-mega-cold gloves. Fox Antifreeze does me for everything else but frankly they are expensive and a little shortlived.

oldnpastit

The ones you get from Aldi are pretty good 🙂

Until your dog eats them of course 🙁

wordnumb
    Free Member

I like the Sealskinz ultra grips with a liner glove underneath, but I’m not someone who feels the cold particularly so these are a good compromise between comfort and dexterity.

Wish I knew how to fix them though, my 10 year old pair got snagged by a thorn and now aren’t as waterproof – I have a replacement pair but one snag does not a redundant glove make; unless it’s raining heavily.

deano8
    Free Member

Thanks Everyone, I’ve ordered Graham’s suggestion, they seem a bargain at £14 in the CRC sales:)

chrssmale
    Free Member

A bit late, but lobster gloves are amazing in the winter. 1/2 mit, 1/2 glove and nearly as snug as my snowboarding gloves.

grahamt1980

£14, bugger. I got them when they were £20.
    Time to order a spare pair.
    Hope they work out right for you. Some of the best gloves I have ever had.

peterfile
    Free Member

I’ve not tried them for riding yet, but I wear THESE for ice climbing (as do many others). If they’re good enough for handing ice tools and gear on a climb then surely they’re suitable for riding? Good dexterity and warm + very grippy….also really really cheap (I got a few pairs from ebay at £5 a pair).

I’ll update once i’ve had them out on the bike.

damascus
    Free Member

I use seal skinz all weather gloves. Usually around 30 quid but they were 17 quid at go outdoors the other day. All sizes available but limited colours.

I also have gbe extreme cold version but never wear them as they are too bulky and warm.

br
    Free Member

Endura Windchill

I use these. Brill.

singlespeedstu

How about using the same gloves you use for the rest of the year and stop being a pussy.
    As you said your hands are cold for the first 20 mins then after that you’ll be fine.
    If you’re riding off road on anything that’s even slightly technical you don’t need any pussyassed comuter keep your girly hands warm gloves. 😉
    Unless your as shirtlifty as some of them shirtlifters up there^^^.

grahamt1980

Wow, I bet no one could live up to your manliness. I bet you wear a hair shirt and don’t bother using a saddle. You just perch on the seatpost hoping for a large bump.

backinireland
    Free Member

Think this is a person a l thing some folk suffer more with cold hands.
    I do find if you keep wrist area warm hands don.t feel as cold my merino under layer with thumb loops seems to help.
    I have specialized sub zero gloves, normally ok with others but have us e d with liners at minus 12
    Above 3 or 4 degrees find these too warm and use various levels of planet x gloves.

singlespeedstu

graham.
    Some give and some take.
    You sound like a taker that doesn’t even have the manners to push back. 😉

Or maybe you could read what the OP posted and think about what i’ve suggested.

Makes sense to me as i have cold hands for about 1/4 of an hour then they’re the same temperature as they are any other time of year. 8)

grahamt1980

Nah I would clench. Then apply mole grips to any parts I could reach.
    Mind you I recon I would have to have some clench to tell you were in.
    🙂

singlespeedstu

Mind you I recon I would have to have some clench to tell you were in a donkey was in.

Yep.
    I did hear you were a bit “slack” 😐

grahamt1980

I did read it hence why I suggested windproof gloves with no insulation.
    That way your hands would warm up quicker and keep the warmth.
    Don’t take what I posted as being serious. Well other than the gloves suggestion.

singlespeedstu

Maybe you could add your insulation to the donkey. 😉

grahamt1980

Donkey? No idea on that one.
    Does the p next to your name mean pervert? 😉

deano8
    Free Member

SSS Made me laugh, randomly got bought some gloves as present and their too big, this choice when changing them.
    Not a fair weather mtb rider, out tomorrow with lads what ever the weather..
    Graham- wind proof makes sense to me as well:)
    Anyway off to see my boyfriend now 🙂

singlespeedstu

Donkey? No idea on that one.

Sheet.
    You must be slack. 😯
    *Goes off to open the door to deano.*

grahamt1980

I have learnt that I can pretty much always trust a fart, so not that slack clearly. And I don’t eat so much fibre that would protect against it if I was.

joshbosh12
    Free Member

Hate to put this thread back on topic but i own a pair of the Royal Mercury gloves and the stitching is terrible and has come apart in a couple of places but i was at Cwmcarn @ 10am this morning, it was around Zero degrees, my fingers were freezing for the first 15 mins and then they were ok for the rest of the ride.
    Good luck with them, i hope they last longer than mine have.

damascus
    Free Member

Double post

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Which gloves for the winter mtb riding?’ is closed to new replies.