• This topic has 76 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by poah.
Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)
  • Whey Protein
  • iamconfusedagain
    Free Member

A relatively high protein intake does seem to help if you have a full on training regime, I think that is fairly well accepted. Whey is handy. It can be handy when you are in kcal defecit.
    But most people get a lot of protein, and need to look at how much hard effort they really do. Most people will can recover from a few mtb rides a week without the need for any special help. An extra hour of sleep will help more.
    I never really noticed any difference when I was training around 20hrs a week, but I never had a low protein diet anyway. Maybe around 1.5g/kg?

kimbers

An extra hour of sleep will help more.

completely agree with this

makes much bigger difference to my recovery and training than anything else

bob_summers

This ^

For me, sleep hydration & carbs make the difference with a heavy training load. I don’t supplement protein, even on a vegan diet. After a big day, a recovery shake and then a normal meal is enough, but rest is the key.

Weasel
    Free Member

The people sitting around me at work must wonder what on earth I’m viewing the web in my lunch break – first Jodie Marsh coated in Creosote and Arnie in his speedos.

Oh yes I’m sure that is about mountain bikes…

bikebouy
    Free Member

* best Eric Morecombe accent *

Shouldn’t this read “Whe Hey Protein”

😆

binners

An extra hour of sleep will help more.
    completely agree with this

makes much bigger difference to my recovery and training than anything else

So sitting up for hours when you get back in from night riding, washing down your cheese on toast with beer isn’t the best for you then? Who knew? 😉

hora
    Free Member

binners messers Schwarzenegger and Stallone used ‘additional’ chemical help not cheese 😀

Extra sleep doesn’t help. After a big day out in the Lakes I’d be asleep by 7pm through to 6, still felt like crap for a day afterwards.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Too much sleep then!

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

it’s a much better alternative than a sugary bottle of chocolate milk.

actually, chocolate milk has been shown to be generally all round awesome

binners

_tom_
    Free Member

I suspect that most people dont actually need the extra sugar in chocolate milk for “recovery” so surely better off having something without it and a lot more protein?

BadlyWiredDog

I suspect that most people dont actually need the extra sugar in chocolate milk for “recovery” so surely better off having something without it and a lot more protein?

Isn’t the point of protein in recovery drinks that it helps – for reasons that aren’t fully understood – your body to absorb the carbohydrate more efficiently. What you’re actually trying to do is replenish the blood/muscle glycogen reserves which get depleted during intense activity. So actually in recovery terms, the sugar is what need, the protein just helps you absorb it better.

That’s how I’ve generally understood it anyway, though of course I may be wrong. I think there’s some evidence to show that protein helps to suppress food cravings/appetite/stops you feeling ’empty’, but that’s a different thing, though I guess if you’re prone to pigging out maybe a useful one.

Anyway, if it works for you.

binners

bob_summers

Extra sleep doesn’t help. After a big day out in the Lakes I’d be asleep by 7pm through to 6, still felt like crap for a day afterwards

Is that lack of protein or lack of training though? If I go out on an eight hour walk I’ll be crippled for a couple of days afterwards. This isn’t protein deficiency, it’s because I don’t often go on eight hour walks!

nickc

How hard do you need to be exercising for ‘extra’ protein to be a necessary part of your day?

hora
    Free Member

I dont agree with sprinkling it on your cornflakes when your not training but if its before and/or after a 3hour ride or big gym session why not?

If it helps you push yourself/recover better then surely a good thing.

mos

I love these adverts from LA Muscle TV for their whey protein.

bearnecessities

BadlyWiredDog

I dont agree with sprinkling it on your cornflakes when your not training but if its before and/or after a 3hour ride or big gym session why not?

If it helps you push yourself/recover better then surely a good thing.

Why would consuming protein before a three-hour ride help you? What’s the science behind it?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

How hard do you need to be exercising for ‘extra’ protein to be a necessary part of your day?

I don’t think we are necessarily talking about ‘extra’ protein. Protein delivered in the 15-30 minute post-exercise window enhances muscle recovery. And in the case of whey protein (mixed with water) it is absorbed faster than other proteins. As I understand it.

iamroughrider
    Free Member

protein shakes are also very useful for getting some good recovery food within half an hour or say an hour of finishing a long ride or say an event or big day out, where you may not eat something decent until much later when you get home otherwise.

The packaging usually states how many scoops too use. Or just roughly work out how much per per kg of body weight etc too use etc from an online guide and the label.

iamroughrider
    Free Member

don’t worry there’s nothing wrong with it, it’s just as with carbs etc, I suspect eating a lot more than your body requires may add fat, just like anything else really…

hora
    Free Member

Protein wont add fat. BWD- Try it a few times?

bob_summers

If you’re an average Yurpean, you’re already consuming double the daily requirement. Studies have shown high protein diets, especially from animal products, to be linked with nasty diseases. But whatever works for you…

Here in Spain, it’s said that 9 out of 10 kids are eating too much protein and it’s leading to an obesity epidemic.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/10676877/High-protein-diet-as-bad-for-health-as-smoking.html

hora
    Free Member

Bob the nhs website focuses on your link as I mentioned earlier in this thread

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2014/03March/Pages/high-protein-diet-may-be-harmful-for-middle-aged.aspx

BTW I dont have a meat rich diet. Whey protein isnt animal is it…as also mentioned ^. Mine says suitable for veggies on the tub.

bigjim

Whey protein isnt animal

Well it doesn’t grow on trees, little miss muffet.

hora
    Free Member

Animal aka body parts (fats or meat) humpty dumpty

bearnecessities

Edit. Oops.

philb88
    Free Member

I always find a pint of milk works for me!
    Protein and carbs!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Milk is good as it has all the essential stuff in it. However casein is absorbed at a much slower rate than whey on its own. And I believe the reason protein shake manufacturers suggest that a shake is made with water rather than milk is because with water it will be absorbed quicker.

IanW
    Free Member

That Telegraph article is classic media guff. Sensational headline steadily watered down until it’s someone says it’s actually not true but so far down the story it won’t get read.

bob_summers

In other words you had to read to the end to find the bit you wanted to be correct. I suspect the truth, as always, is somewhere in between.

What’s noticible is the change in government guidelines on protein intake, at least here. Eg. the food pyramids they put up in schools have changed insomuch as the “traditional” protein sources barely figure compared to the old versions.

IanW
    Free Member

Didn’t “want” it to be anything just pointing that the actual story does not support the headline as is often the case with newspaper articles.

iamroughrider
    Free Member

when working out protein intake, use guides on protein after the particular activity your undertaking rather than just general information ‘for the average adult so many grams per day etc’. The recommendations on the label or often stated are also likely to be for body building purposes which imho may be more than required for cycling. So the question is then, is it worth using for recovery from cycling. I would say sometimes – yes ( imho )

I use this – sometimes replacing breakfast, or before and after a ride/after a gym session, but not every day. Seems to make a difference with muscle growth and actual strength on a ride/gym session, but that could be a placebo effect. Not sure how it affects recovery though, as sometimes I feel ok, sometimes I’m wasted anyway. It does play havoc with my guts sometimes though…

Toasty

I use shakes post rides, it’s either that or gorge on 20 muffins the second I get through the door.

I used to just drink chocolate milk, but I’m not hugely sure it’s much cheaper. I’ve got a big 2.5kg MyProtein pack at the moment and it lasts for ages.

I’ve got the mocha flavour, as it was on sale. It gives me mocha smelling wee for a few hours, I’d use it for that alone.

poah
    Free Member

too much protein and you’ll probably end up with piles, be thirsty with possible kidney and liver issues. Symptoms will be exacerbated with a low carb diet due to the effect of ketones

you shouldn’t need to take supplements if you are eating properly.

on the plus side you might get foamy urine due to the excess protein being excreted lol

Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘Whey Protein’ is closed to new replies.