• This topic has 39,835 replies, 1,030 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by Klunk.
Viewing 40 posts - 31,241 through 31,280 (of 39,836 total)
  • The Coronavirus Discussion Thread.
  • scotroutes

FWIW mask compliance is still 100% everywhere I’ve been.

Tracking is still enforced every pub/cafe I’ve been to as well.

Local supermarkets still have traffic light systems to control numbers, though folk are about less careful about distancing once inside.

Trolley/hand cleansing seems to be about 50:50.

This thread does lead me to believe this is atypical, though maybe we’re only hearing the worst of things.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Pretty much the same here too tbh, only really the folk wi fat man syndrome that seem to be averse to masks. Just managed to get my 2nd vaccine rearranged too, end of the month.

Chew
    Free Member

I’ve had to conclude, it’s the least worst solution I can dream up.

As much as I dont have much time for BoJo, his main question was “if not now, then when?”.

The balance is shifting to us getting back to normal, and summer is the least risky time to do this. If people want to delay things they have to accept that means delaying things for another 12 months, until the winter stresses on the NHS pass.

I doubt that the majority of people want to put their lifes on hold for another year.

And then in 2022, we have another variant from Africa, so delay until 2023, and repeat…

P-Jay
    Free Member

Reports in the news and on PMQs that people are deleting the app. Ignorance is bliss… perhaps.

It’s only occurred to me recently that I disabled notifications on my App when I installed it (this is my MO for all apps) I don’t know if that means I could have been told to isolate and ignored it or not.

Most of the places I’ve been are no longer showing the NHS QR, in favour of their own system which is usually clunky and requires personal info… it goes against my cyber security training to complete them, but I do.

MoreCashThanDash

This thread does lead me to believe this is atypical, though maybe we’re only hearing the worst of things.

Very much this. I see very little avoidance of masks, sanitiser and QR codes round here – yes social distancing isn’t as good as it was, but the overwhelming majority do their best still

TiRed

@murray bang on correct. The difference in slope is noteworthy. We’ll still likely see 7000 admissions per WEEK by late summer, I think. But vaccination is having an effect on pushing cases to the young, most of whom do not need hospital.

Mortality is basically 1/8-1/16 of admissions. That’s not changing much since we have no miracle cures. We have effective medicines, but their impact has been evident since last year and Wave 2.

kelvin

I doubt that the majority of people want to put their lifes on hold for another year.

No one has suggested that should happen. They have suggested that keeping mask wearing and some social distancing measures for a short while longer would help more companies and more people get on with their lives, their work, and their education, while we crack on with vaccinating the nation and helping other countries do the same.

Chew
    Free Member

They have suggested that keeping mask wearing and some social distancing measures for a short while longer would help

People can still do those things.
    All the 19th does is move the responsibility from the Government to the individual.

On the 20th you’re still going to see the same amount of people wearing masks and following social distancing. There isnt going to be be a sudden overnight change in behaviour.

kelvin

All the 19th does is move the responsibility from the Government to the individual.

That’s fine, except individuals can do bugger all.

On the 20th you’re still going to see the same amount of people wearing masks and following social distancing.

The lord loves a dreamer.

kimbers

I’m on a train into London

99% mask wearing as normal

All the England fans just drinking Stella so not so good.

I think at this point it’s only the high antibody levels (infection or vaccine acquired) stopping a big wave hitting us

Schools are chaos near me too, my boss has just had his closed until end of term now

scotroutes

Scotland numbers do indeed look promising

Almost 4,000 new cases again today.

P-Jay
    Free Member

On the 20th you’re still going to see the same amount of people wearing masks and following social distancing. There isnt going to be be a sudden overnight change in behaviour.

I wish it were true, but I don’t see it.

It seems, like everything else in the world at the moment, it’s an completely binary thing, half of people will continue to wear masks and SD, and why not, it’s not hard and we’re well used to it by now, 50% will throw them away, burn them even, will be joining the scrum at the bar on the 19th.

More than that, I don’t actually believe a single soul in the UK has never broken a Covid rule, ever, IME People can be incredibly vocal about restrictions that don’t effect them personally, but at the same time completely ignore the ones that do.

For example, come Thursdays it’s likely Grant Shapps will say something like “We still advise people not to visit amber counties, but those who do who are fully vaccinated can do so, without quarantine” and 15 mins later a good proportion of STWers, be that post 19th Maskers or not, will be trying to book, flights, ferries and the tunnel to get to the Alps, because wearing a mask in the shop or pub suits them, but not going on Holiday doesn’t.

fathomer

@Nobeerinthefridge Innerleithen for 3 nights, so hopefully Golfie, Glentress, Inners and a look round Yair. Then down to Keswick for 3 nights, hoping for some George pie 🙂

Gribs

FWIW mask compliance is still 100% everywhere I’ve been.

This seems to be very dependant on location. Living in Otley compliance is 99%, but I work in Bradford and when I visit the local shops close to work I’m usually the only person wearing one. In the supermarkets it’s at roughly 80%. Once it’s not legally mandated I’ll stop.

Tracking is still enforced every pub/cafe I’ve been to as well.

You need to sign in with the app. There’s no need to have it turned on or pay any attention to it so it’s a complete waste of time.

Local supermarkets still have traffic light systems to control numbers, though folk are about less careful about distancing once inside.

That’s gone but I don’t shop at busy times

rogermoore

Gah! Seems like I’m an early adopter for the self-isolation summer fun!! 7 days apparently, so no pub for the football tonight.
    RM.

neiloxford
    Free Member

Does anybody know where to get testing data by age group ?

I am looking to understand positivity by age group.

Found it.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/998393/Weekly_Flu_and_COVID-19_report_w26_v3.pdf

theotherjonv

what do you mean, number of positive tests? I’m not sure that is completely helpful because the absolute number of tests of school age kids will be higher, but the ONS data has as a %

Section 4

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/conditionsanddiseases/bulletins/coronaviruscovid19infectionsurveypilot/2july2021

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

It’s coming home
    It’s coming home
    It’s coming
    Covid’s coming home

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

Well done that man…

Poopscoop

Watching Euros may be behind rise in infections in men

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57754938

Mugboo

I live in Brighouse where mask wearing is still pretty good. The closer I get to Bradford the worse it gets, so when you talk of petri dishes and experiments maybe Bradford is already doing that for us?

Kryton57

It’s coming home
    It’s coming home
    It’s coming
    Covid’s coming home

It’s hard to look past Wembley, the subsequent Tube journeys, and multiple rammed city’s centre and other bars full of unmasked shouting pissed people being anything other the Covid soup.

martinhutch

Watching Euros may be behind rise in infections in men

REACT study also suggests approx 6 day doubling now. We should hit the 100,000 cases a day mark well before August. It’s possible we will see a drop later this month in England and Wales because a lot of the testing is being driven by schools, and I’m sure the public are less bothered about testing themselves, even when they have symptoms, let alone as a matter of course. But the underlying level of infections is still clearly rising exponentially at the moment.

https://spiral.imperial.ac.uk/bitstream/10044/1/90197/2/react1_r13_interim_preprint.pdf

The full current relationship between infections and hospitalisations will also be getting clearer by then.

theotherjonv

hospitals beginning to overflow and cancel elective surgeries.

Storms approaching.

jimw
    Free Member

Interesting. I did my usual 7am trip to Morrison’s in Malvern this morning. I hadn’t been in three weeks because of being away on holiday. Unlike any previous visit in the past year or so, a good 1/4 of people in the store were not wearing masks, not even round their necks. They were all Morrison’s employees either shelf stacking or picking for home delivery. Every customer ( not many at that time of day) I saw had a mask on.
    Wasn’t really a problem as I could avoid them reasonably easily. I guess that as the store had only just officially opened they might be going to put them on later?

tpbiker
    Free Member

We’re all hanging our hopes massively on the vaccine, and are continuously told the double jabbed are very unlikely to get it. But a bbc article today quoted imperial college numbers that the fully vaccinted are only 1/3 as likey to be Infected, and efficiency is 72%, far lower than what I’ve seen quoted before

And just see that phizer is now quoted as only 62% effective against the delta variant.

kelvin

I’m sure the public are less bothered about testing themselves

They’ll be even less bothered if the tests stop being free, and there is the possible outcome of having to stay off work with no support whatsoever. I still don’t think we’ll get the measure of the summer ’till the schools have been open for a few weeks in September. August will be flying blind and hoping. Unless you’re waiting for hospital treatment of course, then you’ll likely see the effect much sooner, with more appointments delayed.

Flaperon

Interesting. I did my usual 7am trip to Morrison’s in Malvern this morning. I hadn’t been in three weeks because of being away on holiday. Unlike any previous visit in the past year or so, a good 1/4 of people in the store were not wearing masks, not even round their necks.

Been like that for months in my local Morissons. I’ve stopped shopping there.

scotroutes

are continuously told the double jabbed are very unlikely to get it.

That’s not what I’ve been reading. We are being told that the effects of getting it are much reduced once fully vaccinated though.

Murray

Had a call this morning with my friend in Pune, India. They’re just coming out of lockdown, curfew lifted and shops but not malls open.

Maharashtra (state with Pune in) 7 day case rate is 8,815 in 114 million.

UK 7 day case rate is 27,414 in 67 million.

He wished me good luck.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

That’s not what I’ve been reading. We are being told that the effects of getting it are much reduced once fully vaccinated though.

It would appear that your chances of getting are reduced as is severity. Immunity is not 100%. At all. You’re less likely to be hospitalised & less likely to die. You can though, still get it.

reluctantjumper

Just back from the local One Stop and none of the staff were wearing masks, I was the only one out of 4 customers with one on too.

They’ll be even less bothered if the tests stop being free, and there is the possible outcome of having to stay off work with no support whatsoever. I still don’t think we’ll get the measure of the summer ’till the schools have been open for a few weeks in September. August will be flying blind and hoping. Unless you’re waiting for hospital treatment of course, then you’ll likely see the effect much sooner, with more appointments delayed.

The issue is that people will point at the lower positive test numbers saying it’s going away ignoring the fact that fewer tests = fewer cases. I would say the government has factored this in to make them look good over the summer but that would mean admitting that they actually have a clue about what is going on!

This summer is going to be a case of looking after yourself and do what you can to protect your loved ones, the government don’t care this time.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Maharashtra (state with Pune in) 7 day case rate is 8,815 in 114 million.

UK 7 day case rate is 27,414 in 67 million.

He wished me good luck.

What’s their testing rate?

tpbiker
    Free Member

That as well. But I’ve definitely read numerous times that it’s unlikely the double vaccinated will get it. They were after all quoting 90 % protection from infection a few weeks ago. Obviously with the risen in cases alot of double jabbed folks would still get it even at 90%, so it’s not great it’s actually significantly less than that.

Del

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/vaccines-highly-effective-against-hospitalisation-from-delta-variant

Both types of vaccine over 90% effective against hospitalisation from Delta according to PHE on 14th June. Is there new data?

scotroutes

Both types of vaccine over 90% effective against hospitalisation from Delta according to PHE.

Yeah, but @tpbikers point is that folk will still be infected. As a result, they will be advised to isolate (and possible their close contacts will too).  That will have significant knock-on affects, especially in hospitality and in health care, where some hospitals are already struggling to cope with “normal” demand.

dantsw13

And India is less than 4% vaccinated.

Kryton57

Letter from Secondary school; PHE have revised advise and any pupils advised to self isolate due to close contact must now have a PCR test, with a concern of “variants of interest” in mind.

This tells my uneducated mind that the “let it rip strategy” is causing that exact concern… a breeding ground for the English Football Supporters variant*

*Sorry for that bit of politics.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Both types of vaccine over 90% effective against hospitalisation from Delta according to PHE on 14th June. Is there new data?

Apparently so, but the data is yet to be peer reviewed.

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20210630/Is-the-SARS-CoV-2-delta-variant-threatening-vaccine-efficacy.aspx

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.06.23.21259327v1

kelvin

Both types of vaccine over 90% effective against hospitalisation from Delta according to PHE on 14th June

That’s still good news. Hospitals need that to be the case. But what about all the people looking forward to being ill for a long time without being admitted? Just so that Mr Angry and can stand next to them without wearing a mask in the queue to buy their groceries this summer.

We need to get to the point where the vaccines are acting as a break on infections before next term. We could get there. If we could be bothered.

I would say the government has factored this in to make them look good over the summer…

So would I.

…but that would mean admitting that they actually have a clue about what is going on!

Well, I’d suggest they are far better at managing how people see or care about what’s happening than they at managing what’s actually happening.

Viewing 40 posts - 31,241 through 31,280 (of 39,836 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.