• This topic has 39,835 replies, 1,030 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by Klunk.
Viewing 40 posts - 2,601 through 2,640 (of 39,836 total)
  • The Coronavirus Discussion Thread.
  • dazh

I see Johnson is beginning to realise that the British public don’t want to be guinea pigs in his experiment. He makes Donald Trump look competent.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/13/uk-to-ban-mass-gatherings-in-coronavirus-u-turn?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

bigmountainscotland
    Free Member

Wonder if the emergency laws against mass gatherings will apply to Her Majesty’s Government…

squirrelking
    Free Member

Something something Scotland leads…

mrlebowski
    Free Member

TwoDogs, this is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the blue pill – the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill – you stay in on the Where’s the coronavirus we’re all going to die conspiracy threat, and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes…

You make jivehoney look sane..

gauss1777
    Free Member

Most secondary schools have far more than 500 in attendance.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Most secondary schools don’t have a police presence.

gauss1777
    Free Member

Most secondary schools don’t have a police presence.

Ah, sorry I missed that reason for the ban.

Cougar

You make jivehoney look sane..

You haven’t noticed his resurgence then? I’d ban him again if it weren’t for the fact that this is literally a conspiracy theory thread. All other criticisms aside I can’t complain that he’s off-topic.

bigmountainscotland
    Free Member

Covered in this thread wasn’t it…

HSBC pulling out of British Cycling?

squirrelking
    Free Member

Wrong mountain Cougar 😉

kimbers

Has Johnson made this U-turn due to public pressure or are things moving quicker than they’d hoped?

bigmountainscotland
    Free Member

Seems legit, surprised the general populace hasn’t been begging for such sensible measures all along to be honest:

imnotverygood

I think they have realised that, even if their policy is correct, they are beginning to look stupid as more and more organisations take the decisions for them. It is important that the public has confidence in the decisions being made so it doesn’t really leave them with much option.

BoardinBob

Twodogs
    Subscriber
    For the love of dog, can one of the mods please ban me for a bit? I can’t break my morbid fascination with the utter **** and tinfoil hat brigade on here

What stunning insight do you have on the situation? Or are you just going to snipe from the sidelines like a petulant child?

Poopscoop

I see the emergency powers stay in effect for 2 years?

Could come in handy.

mefty
    Free Member

What stunning insight do you have on the situation?

Why should he have to leap a higher bar than anyone else? Frankly, the days of insight on any STW political thread are long gone, sadly in many ways. Nowadays it is just a load of people shouting out of their windows in response to Howard Beale.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

the days of insight on any STW political thread

If only you’d had the insight to realise it’s not a political thread. Jeez, the dimness around here…

kelvin

BBC News – Coronavirus: Why is the UK not shutting schools like other countries?

Remember when the BBC had journalists? Questioning ones? That’s just blind parroting of the line from number 10. Let’s see what went into these “computer models”… garbage in…

Wonder if the emergency laws against mass gatherings will apply to Her Majesty’s Government…

The government is only a few hundred strong*, and the whole of Parliament very rarely sits at the same time. Pairings could easily be arranged if need be.

[* a quick Google suggests 141 members in May’s last government]

mattyfez

It’s really not, this is almost like a dress rehearsal for when we get a really nasty infection, and we as *the human race are failing spectacularly.

mefty
    Free Member

If only you’d had the insight to realise it’s not a political thread. Jeez, the dimness around here…

It needn’t be, but it is.

EDIT: But to be honest it doesn’t bother me either way, life has always been too short to worry about STW and it may be shorter than we ever envisaged, sadly for all.

Poopscoop

Government is coordinating a national fight against an adversary that is likely to kill many.

Some at the top of this fight have spent a few years slinging mud at the political class (though being part of it themselves) and painting government and experts as being opposed to the peoples best interests.

I think it’s hugely naive to think the government can now count on unanimous support in this thread or elsewhere.

Seeds sown don’t always grow the way you wish them too.

kimbers

If only we were all wise enough to agree with whatever mefty says 😉

As for not shutting schools, covid mortality rate in kids is virtually 0, are they planning to build up herd immunity numbers there?

Thnig about the herd immunity plan is that it has to be more or less ubiquitous across UK, otherwise pockets will experience flare ups

Wife & I had tickets to go clubbing next weekend in London (our first time in 3 years – desperate attempt to reclaim our youth) club night was still on according to their Facebook page today, but they’ve limited numbers to 1000 (I think based on france & others capping at 1000?)

We’d booked it all ages ago

Luckily I’d opted to pay extra for cancellation insurance on hotel, but club say there will be no refunds

Poopscoop

Anyway, I’m off to watch World War Z. Bloody great film from a time when pandemics were largely a fantasy scenario for fiction.😁

somafunk

Tweet below explains where Johnson takes his Coronavirus advice from, I’ve only had quick browse through but it seems pretty scientific to me

kelvin

Thanks Somafunk, I read that earlier, it’s about epidemic modelling in general, not about the models that the government have used for current decisions (about delaying distancing measures to prevent fatigue in the public towards them) that appear to be at odds with WHO statements and actions of other governments worldwide to act early to restrict and delay spread.

mefty
    Free Member

If only we were all wise enough to agree with whatever mefty says

I haven’t really said anything. I posted up some links to background information, pointed out a bloke was a woman and unlikely to be on the inside and said it is was a bit rich having a go at someone who wasn’t adding greatly to the font of human knowledge. I’ve been semi detached from this site for yonks – came to the conclusion it is a waste of my life. Still read it to see how weird the world is but not interested in engaging.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Anyway, I’m off to watch World War Z. Bloody great film

I know some nonsense has been said already but this is just taking the piss somewhat. Have a word with yourself then read the book.

Poopscoop

Lol, funny you should say that. I’ve just ordered it after watching the film.

Poopscoop

CNN reporting that France has 800 new infections in a day.

piemonster

Anyway, I’m off to watch World War Z. Bloody great film from a time when pandemics were largely a fantasy scenario for fiction.😁

What’s the correct watch order?

World War Z
    Contagion
    The Road?

piemonster

Has Johnson made this U-turn due to public pressure or are things moving quicker than they’d hoped?

I’d go with moving quicker than they’d hoped. The Government/Matt Hancock last week suggested locking down/quarantine measures are an option for large urban areas so pretty much nothing is off the cards. If that’s the case It looks like a question of when to do it, and when should it happen and with how much notice to stem the flow of those trying to beat the restrictions.

dudeofdoom

From Independent.

It is well known in behavioural psychology circles that people are far more likely to keep to rules they have set for themselves than those that are imposed on them from the top down, so deploying Johnson to instil the required levels of blind panic by telling everyone there’s no need to panic is truly a stroke of genius.

Drac

amodicumofgnar

@Drac that would seem to be about the size of it. Based on it doesn’t seem to have been covered in the media. Surprised there doesn’t seem to be any collation of information of where the outbreaks of self isolation are. Or even if there is a large isolation cluster if a few sample tests are being done.

onewheelgood

World War Z
    Contagion
    The Road?

And read Station Eleven
    https://g.co/kgs/CcBqoE
    Or perhaps not.

amodicumofgnar

World War Z
    Contagion
    The Road?

And read Station Eleven
    https://g.co/kgs/CcBqoE
    Or perhaps not.

Snowpiercer – just for the social niceties

amodicumofgnar

The Dark Knight Rises

Keeping it on conspiracy topic, Cumms loves a media reference and is basing his whole response based on watching this film.

dannyh
    Free Member

Some at the top of this fight have spent a few years slinging mud at the political class (though being part of it themselves) and painting government and experts as being opposed to the peoples best interests.

I think it’s hugely naive to think the government can now count on unanimous support in this thread or elsewhere.

Seeds sown don’t always grow the way you wish them too.

A million times this.

People opposed to Joris and his rabble know he is a liar and despise him for it. And they don’t trust him.

Many people who support Joris and his rabble know he is a liar and like him for his “bending the rules to get things done” bullshit. They like him. They don’t trust him.

Along comes something that requires many things, but probably the main one is trust. If anyone is seriously surprised that public trust is already shown to be lacking then they are naive.

You cannot undermine trust, lie and disseminate fake news to get where you are then expect people to trust you when the shit hits the fan.

This is going to be a long haul, but when things get back on an even keel (which they will), then I sincerely hope there is a day of reckoning for the likes of Joris, Trump et al.

Viewing 40 posts - 2,601 through 2,640 (of 39,836 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.