Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Where to buy moody (fake!) oakleys?
  • robw1
    Free Member

Remember reading some threads a while ago about fake oakleys that people had bought online for cheap as chips. Does anyone know where online??

johnnystorm

I can see this thread vanishing soon. Probably find them available in all the usual places that supply knock offs from China 😉

thepurist

Hmmmm – from the ‘fake TLD clothing’ thread I think the mods would prefer that we discuss the pros and cons of the cheap rip-off copies without advocating any particular chinese websites or ebay sellers to buy them from.

Harry_the_Spider

Hmmm… Poor UV and impact protection. I’d rather not risk an eye.

10pmix
    Free Member

I recall this being asked a few months ago which sparked quite a heated debate around the ethics of buying fake goods.
    There are certainly plenty available where you would expect. All colours and styles. Jawbone copies are about £10 plus postage. I wouldn’t vouch for their ability to protect your eyes from the sun in any way which begs the question… why bother?

chvck
    Free Member

Why would you want fake Oakleys? Surely half the point is the lenses? Why not just buy another brand of glasses that you like the look of and are legit? (I wear cheap aldi sunglasses so I just might not be getting something…)

njee20
    Free Member

Hmmm… Poor UV and impact protection. I’d rather not risk an eye.

No idea about impact protection, unlikely to be any worse than other cheap glasses, but they were absolutely fine on UV.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member
    Saccades
    Free Member

I wouldn’t vouch for their ability to protect your eyes from the sun in any way which begs the question…

I tested a coupla of pairs to the US spec* and they passed, in fact the mirrored version beat all the other glasses in the test and my fairly expensive polarised fishing glasses failed**

* – I can’t fire a ball bearing at the lenses correctly, I did the UV part of the tests.

** – Polarised, so expected to fail

zilog6128

Poor UV and impact protection.

UV protection is unlikely to be an issue with fakes. Impact protection is another matter entirely.

RoganJosh
    Free Member

Merlin Evans crc or wiggle will sell glasses for £20 or £30 and they’ll probably better, and not look like a clear rip off. They’re really easy to tell from the originals and don’t look good in any way. Endura make their own reasonably priced specs that will be much nicer.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Poor UV and impact protection

Can you explain why they have poor UV protection? And I’m sure they’ll resist fly impacts.

RoganJosh
    Free Member

But why buy fake oakleys when you can get real something else for the same price? They don’t perform well, they don’t look good, the principle is wrong and you’ll look like a mug! Or get some real second hand ones?

njee20
    Free Member

They don’t perform well, they don’t look good, the principle is wrong and you’ll look like a mug!

I certainly don’t condone the buying of counterfeits, wouldn’t do it, own a number of pairs of real Oakleys, but most do look exactly like the real thing to the even partially trained eye, and they perform just fine, so really it’s only the moral thing.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Bolle? Bloc?

Similar styles, much cheaper than Oakleys, better built in my opinion, great UV protection.

Harry_the_Spider

Can you explain why they have poor UV protection?

No, but if they are knocking them out for a tenner I wouldn’t want to bet my eyesight on them being any good.

Whatever, it’s a free country go and get a pair. Get two if you like.

I quite like the look (and price) of some of these myself. Endura

greeble
    Free Member

aliexpress

weeksy

I’ve just bought a pair of Bolles. I’ll probably give the 2 pairs of Jawbones i have from China to a mate 🙂

glupton1976
    Free Member

Can UV light pass through plastic or whatever lenses are made of these days?

40mpg

On-One have been doing some good deals on glasses recently. I got some, about £20, they look good IMO and had 3 lenses including yellow iridium and clear for night riding.

greeble
    Free Member

they look good IMO and had 3 lenses including yellow iridium and clear for night riding.

Who needs UV and impact protection?
    don’t forget to go lens-less too if you want to go for a full on elbry look
    http://www.rootsandrain.com/photos/408344

http://www.rootsandrain.com/photos/502354

njee20
    Free Member

don’t forget the lens-less look too if you want to go for a full on elbry look

W…T…F?

lightman
    Free Member
    crikey
    Free Member

I’ve got real ones and fake, and the later fakes are pretty much indistinguishable from the real ones.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

You’ve got to give it to Oakley – their immense marketing campaign does seem to work with most punters.

schmiken

Zhaoxu2009 on eBay.

I_Ache
    Free Member

The fake ones I have had looked OK from a few foot away but up close looked as cheap as they were (£2.50 each) and felt horrible. I managed to snap the frames on two different pairs in different places. Strangely both times on different holidays in France this year.

I will be going back to buying real Oakleys next time.

zerocool

Out of interest, how do you test they’re protecting you from UV rays?

Tom KP

robbieh
    Free Member

yeah, don’t buy fake! Much better to get mud and flys, stones etc. in yer eyes. after all there
    can’t be many STW’s that spend more money on the “right” labels just to look cool (they think) so others see the kit they wear can there 😉

Trekster

hamishthecat – Member
    You’ve got to give it to Oakley – their immense marketing campaign does seem to work with most punters.

That’s what I was thinking. They probably all come out of the same factory just like bike frames……

iolo
    Free Member

You guys are spending thousands on bikes. Would you but a fake Fox 36 because you couldn’t afford the real thing?
    If you want the Oakley label just bloody buy some Oakleys.
    They really are worth the money.
    They’re not that expensive if you look after them. I have a pair of Frogeyes from 1990 that are still going strong.

discoduck
    Free Member

I’ve got a couple of pairs of Genuine Oakleys that i dont like riding in because they are titanium frames and i dont want them wedged in my bonce, and after the frames on my Endura ones went brittle with the sun I think ? Altho I have t had them UV tested to prove this I bought a pair of foakleys and they are shit, they are lob sided on my face, the ear stems are barely long enough to fit on my fat heed and the lense is not as good as genuine Oakleys

I’m not saying they won’t pass a UV test but its like riding a nice bike compared to riding a halfords special, they genuinely feel like a pair of £20 sun glasses, which is fine if your used to wearing a pair of £10 sun glasses not so good if you aren’t !

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Selotape a various fake/original lenses to your arm and see if you get sunburnt underneath.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

You guys are spending thousands on bikes. Would you but a fake Fox 36 because you couldn’t afford the real thing?
    If you want the Oakley label just bloody buy some Oakleys.

If someone made ‘fake’ 36’s that woprked as well as the originals but for half the price, why not? You could call then RS Lyriks or something.

Ignore the oakley logo, some people just want some cool looking glases that are cheep. Whether they have an ‘O’ on the side is largely irelavent. There’s not much you can really do to make one pair of sporty glasses look differnt to another, oakley make about 100 different models, every pair on the plannet probably looks like one of them!

I’ve got £20 ‘Oakleys’ and £20 decathlon glasses (which TBH, look a lot like M-frames), both do the job.

RoganJosh
    Free Member

Yes of course people want good looking glasses that are cheap, so do I! The OP asked for fake oakleys not good looking glasses that are cheap.

And they’re definitely not out of the same factory!

If you had £500 to spend on a mountain bike, would you buy a trek hardtail, or would you buy some risky Chinese (I know a £500 trek isn’t lovingly handmade in America) thing that said Santa Cruz on it when everyone knew that it wasn’t?

There’s nothing wrong with lower priced goods, plenty of cheap glasses look great, just why choose some and pretend they’re something they’re not if you and everyone else know they’re aren’t?

Saccades
    Free Member

Well…

UV rays are just energy at a certain wavelength. UVB = 280-315nm, UVA = 315-380nm.

I used a Shimadzu 3600 UV-Vis-NIR Spectrophotometer, with a fully traceable qualification each month and yearly calibration by the vendor. I got it to measure the full spectrum range it’s capable of (185nm to somewhere above 3Knm) through the lens of the specs I was testing.

Slightly dumbed down, but it fires a beam of energy, which is split into two streams. Stream One is used as a reference, the system is normally used to measure liquid sample solutions so it would normally be used to measure the solvent, but in this case it was left blank.

Stream two is used to measure the transmission of energy through the sample (which would be sample plus solvent in normal use), in this case the lens of the specs.

This is all done in absolute dark in the machine so you don’t get any light (energy) interference, Plus the sample compartment was pumped full of inert N2 as an extra belts and braces. You then subtract the background noise (Stream 1) to obtain the absolute transmission of Stream 2 for the lens.

This data is then plotted out over the whole of the wavelength range against transmission to give a graphical representation of the data. With the data I compared the UVB and UVA to the visual light region to ensure it passed the spec stated: 1% and 0.3X respectively.

I did worry about the angle of incidence (as we normally tests solutions which have cells set up perpendicular to the source), but even after playing around with the lens position the result obtained remained the same, giving me confidence the results obtained were genuine.

I hope that makes sense?

Saccades
    Free Member

Posted 13 minutes ago # Report-PostHoratioHufnagel – Member

Selotape a various fake/original lenses to your arm and see if you get sunburnt underneath.

Actually – what he said 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If you had £500 to spend on a mountain bike, would you buy a trek hardtail, or would you buy some risky Chinese (I know a £500 trek isn’t lovingly handmade in America) thing that said Santa Cruz on it when everyone knew that it wasn’t?

There’s nothing wrong with lower priced goods, plenty of cheap glasses look great, just why choose some and pretend they’re something they’re not if you and everyone else know they’re aren’t?

But the difference is the fake oakleys are functionaly the same as the originals.

To twist your example, you could buy an Orange 5 650b, or a Santa Cruz Bantam, which is made in the far east and cheeper………..

iolo
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon,
    I’m sure you’re a lovely guy and possibly you’re having a bad today but you are making yourself look like a fool.
    If you’re happy buying fakes good luck to you as you can justify it to yourself.
    It’s just you’re not justifying it to anyone else.
    I for one and many others will just but what’s legit and if we need it cheaper we buy it in a sale.

martymac

i have real m frames, they are great.
    i have fake radars, they are good, but not as sturdy as the real mccoy, also the mirror lenses definately arent as good as the originals.
    i bought them because if i leave them on a bus or drop them and stand on them i will only say ‘oh bother’ rather than the immense amount of swearing which would accompany broken/lost m frames.
    i will say this though, now that i have worn them for a while, i will probably go get some real radars for my birthday.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Where to buy moody (fake!) oakleys?’ is closed to new replies.