Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Where the hell is this creak?
  • SlowJohn
    Free Member

For the last 2 months now i have a had an annoying creak on my bike. Its not the bearings in the headset or the frame and its definitely not the bb or fork (i know because i have either replaced or tried spare parts on it). Its not the seat or post because its still there when i remove it. Its doing my head in any suggestions??? Its much worse when standing putting power down with my position slightly forward. Could my wheels creak? Should i just ignore it or is it something i should do ? can shocks creak when in need of a service if i trackstand and bounce about a bit theres no creak so i do not think it has anything to do with shock

molgrips
    Free Member

Frame bearings?

crispybacon
    Free Member

have you tried oiling your knees? 😉

sockpuppet

stem faceplate?

rear skewer?

larry

what bike?

ton

cracked frame.
    i rode a long audax ride with the bike creaking all day long.
    i found a crack on the chainstay on the wednesday after it.
    a specialized sirrius.

mikey74
    Free Member

Could it be the pedal threads? I have had annyoing creaks before that were just the pedals threads being gritty.

The other thing I have experienced before is quick releases not being done up properly: I had some USE ones that were useless and caused terrible creaking.

matt_outandabout

Could be wheels – my new bike has a squeeky/creaky front wheel.

Frame cracked?? 😉

raddaz
    Free Member

The metal cable ferrules made a creaking sound as they rubbed the cable guides on my old heckler, drove me mental for about 4 weeks, before i finally figured out where it was coming from. ended up using silicon sealant to stop it.

Coyote
    Free Member

Had a similar thing on one of my bikes. Replaced the BB, greased everything greasable. Eventually traced it to the rear hub, a Shimano XT. Stripped, cleaned, new bearings and freehub body. Sweet as.

SlowJohn
    Free Member

the bike s a pace 405 have checked frame thoroughly for cracks nop sign of that. Have replaced the bearings one of them was rusty as hell but it wasnt that. tried the pedals about the only thing i havent tried is my hope hubs and wheels is this something my lbs could help me with im pretty sure its nothing major i look after my bike its just so damn annoying and its strange it only happens when putting some power down

khani
    Free Member

chainring bolts? more stress on them when your stood up as well

lunge

I had something similar, stem face plate was the culprit, took me a long time to work that out!

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

i had this with an old marin mount vision i used to have. first time it did it i tried everything, even took it to the local lbs (a marin dealer) who told me that the rear mech bolt needed greasing (and charged me for it). anyway, kin’ useless lbs asides, it was the rear shock bushings.

few years later it started again. replaced bushings but gradually started again. the whyte ‘lifetime guarantee’ bushings had turned the round frame pivot holes into oval ones.

long and short, if you have a full suss check your frame where the pivot goes through.

aP
    Free Member

I had an annoying creak on my Spider and I finally after about 4 months worked it out to be the cable ferrule in the LH shifter pod.

crazy-legs

Had a similar thing on my CX, it sounded like it should be the BB but I eventually traced it to the front QR. Regreased (inc the cam mechanism) and it was all quiet. It started coming back again a while ago but this time I was ready and just threw the offending QR away! That’ll learn it. 😉

SlowJohn
    Free Member

will try the chainring bolts but its not wheel quick releases i swapped them over and the font is a 20mm its not cable related eithr have changed them all recently too in fact theres not much i havent tried. When im out in the rain it stops im assuming this is the water damping the sounddo hub internals creak i havent serviced my rear pro 2 for over a year but then again its never played up

metal_leg
    Free Member

I solved a creak by changing the bearings on a 20mm front hub. Noticed the creak only happened when I put my weight on the front of the bike.

SlowJohn
    Free Member

my front hub is 3 months old im really running out of ideas i might just have to live with it

Pippalarge
    Free Member

I had same type of creak – turned out to be rear skewer. Try fixing qr super tight and greasing lever mechanism. Also could be loose cassette lock nut.

SlowJohn
    Free Member

its not the rear skewer tried a different one in there will try the cassette nut tonight

Richyb
    Free Member

Front skewer

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

what crank have you got on the bike? Not a raceface X type one is it?

SlowJohn
    Free Member

no its xtr and the front is a bolt through 20mm

crikey
    Free Member

Does it go away when the bike is wet?

Spokes where they enter the rim is one of mine; only when you put weight on it, unrelated to pedalling, high tension spokes creak when they dry out….

SlowJohn
    Free Member

yeah it does go away when wet but i thought that the water would muffle the sound of the creak no matter where it was hmmm spokes you say i have tried putting weight on them but it seems to only be when i pedal

MrNutt
    Free Member

replaceable drop outs?

crikey
    Free Member

take your wheels out and put a drop of oil at every spoke hole, then sit them by the radiator and turn em round a bit, if it’s the spokes, that’ll sort it.

It’s washing the bike that does it!

SlowJohn
    Free Member

yeah they are i have gresed the bols holding them on though. Do people grase the plate as well where it contacts the frame?

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Where the hell is this creak?’ is closed to new replies.