Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Where can I get some telegraph poles?
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

I need some telegraph poles to build another wood shed. I used to get them from the BT depot in Kirkcaldy, but it seems they can no longer sell them due to their creosote content.

Is there anywhere in central Scotland I can buy around ten poles?

binners

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Ten poles you say?

Here you are

pedalhead
    Free Member

Just out of interest, what’s the going rate for a telegraph pole these days? I may have an idea…

crispedwheel
    Free Member

BT depot in Kirkcaldy, but it seems they can no longer sell them due to their creosote content.

Can you find out what they do with them instead? And then go to who/wherever they dispose them.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

…and to think you just chopped up that tree too!

crispedwheel
    Free Member

Just out of interest, what’s the going rate for a telegraph pole these days? I may have an idea…

Have you got a load stacked up in that massive shed of yours? 😉

mcmoonter
    Free Member

what’s the going rate for telegraph pole these days?

I was getting them for £5 a pole.

Can you find out what they do with them instead? And then go to who/wherever they dispose them.

That was my first plan. But the company recycles them and sells them for £5 a foot! Plus delivery.

pedalhead
    Free Member

crikey, that’s worth it just for the firewood alone!

pedalhead
    Free Member

Have you got a load stacked up in that massive shed of yours?

ha no but there are quite a few around the village 🙂

StuF

I know of one in nottingham that needs a home but it’s still standing (just)

ski
    Free Member

crikey, that’s worth it just for the firewood alone!

That I would like to see 😉

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Have you got a load stacked up in that massive shed of yours?

Massive shed is full. The new water tank shed will be full tomorrow.

My neighbour farmer asked if I’d like to take down the last remaining Elms that surround our field and boundary wall. We used the loadall to clear the upper branches and pulled the remainder over.

So in addition to the windblown timber, I have another four huge elms to find cover for once they are chopped up.

bajsyckel

lat time we got a load was when they were being replaced locally – just asked if they could be dropped off. They were happy to, saved them going back to the depot. That doen’t help too much if you need them in a hurry unless you see anyone taking them down by chance.

Re 4 huge elms – do you really need them as firewood? Elm doesn’t burn particularly well, and if they are of any size you could get some beautiful timber out of them. Even if you don’t want it (furniture, turning, carving, joinery…) you may well find someone else would pay for them. Seems a bit of a waste if the timber is halfway decent, that’s all.

tthew

If you have all that other wood undercover already, can’t you just leave it outside on pallets until you have some space?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

If you have all that other wood undercover already, can’t you just leave it outside on pallets until you have some space?

I will have to store around 10 fourteen foot trailer loads. It’ll be easier just to build a shed than find a spot to palletise it all.

RealMan
    Free Member

spot to palletise it all.

Possibly my new favourite word.

Drac

Reclamation yard perchance?

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

elm is seriously expensive timber for furniture making, it’s lovely, between £30-50 per cubic foot, or about £15 for an 8ft length of 4×2!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

elm is seriously expensive timber for furniture making, it’s lovely, between £30-50 per cubic foot, or about £15 for an 8ft length of 4×2!

Ours are mostly casualties of Dutch Elm Disease, so wont be for much use or value other than for firewood.

sc-xc

[daily mail]Bloody loads of Poles round here, taking our women and our orange juice[/daily]

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

If you are serious I will make some enquiries, know for a fact there will soon be 39 removed in Taynuilt,Argyll, but no idea if that’s central Scotland

mcmoonter
    Free Member

If you are serious I will make some enquiries

Yep, I’m serious, I’d consider taking all 39 if the price and delivery were reasonable. I only have a Land Rover and trailer, so I doubt I could transport more than ten at a time. Taynuilt is a long way from Kirkcaldy. 100 miles or more at a guess.

Edit 112 miles.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Will have a word tomorrow and see if I can find out where they all go once they are uprooted.

Replacing 2.5km of aerial cable with armoured underground due to the damage sustained from forestry commission felling and the recent winds/lightning played havoc too

matt_outandabout

I know of a few over on the west coast, but am sworn to secrecy over where. Going rate however is @ £40 a pole; we have been getting these for a bottle of whisky for as many as I can get on the trailer without the suspension collapsing 🙂

Go local – farmers have a good few round here, but they want cash.

TheBrick
    Free Member

I only have a Land Rover and trailer, so I doubt I could transport more than ten at a time.

10 telegraph pole behind a landrover! That would be some load!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

10 telegraph pole behind a landrover! That would be some load!

Not compared to this! 8)

TheBrick
    Free Member

Yes compared to that.

10 poles is going to be hitting over 3.5t with trail, those plant although still heavy have the the light bark e.t.c.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

That was a noe of load from the sawmill, ten miles away. I doubt on reflection I’d want to drive across the country with a load that size. I think the Shogun was rated to 3.5T. Disco wont.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Disco is, one of the few 4×4 rated t otow 3.5 ton.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Made some enquiries and seems that they are now claimed by farmers and no official disposal policy, sorry about that

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Made some enquiries and seems that they are now claimed by farmers and no official disposal policy, sorry about that

Thanks for taking the time to enquire.

trout
    Free Member

Why not make the new shed from the fallen trees

shandcycles
    Free Member

check yer email…

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Cheers Steve.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Where can I get some telegraph poles?’ is closed to new replies.