Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Where can I buy a spacer for UNDER my crown race?
  • Deveron53
    Free Member

I’m sure I’ve seen them before? Maybe Hope made them? I need to slacken the head angle of my bike a bit. Just experimenting. I have a standard 1.125 exterior cup head-tube so no angle-set gubbins will fit.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

You’ll need a new crown race.

Chris King does a “tall” one that adds 5mm.

parkesie
    Free Member

Tall shoes may help in the clown race.

scaredypants

Yeh, just spacing it upwards would mean “missing” the slightly flared bit at the bottom and your crown would probably move slightly and maybe wear the steerer

Northwind

Hope used to make them but don’t any more- I managed to pick up an old stock one a while back but tbh it makes bugger all difference, just a couple of mm (meant the fork adjusters cleared the frame though)

PS, Works components make an angle-adjusting headset that will fit.

legend
    Free Member

What about spacing the bottom headset cup down? Cannondale Prophets had this option, think NUkeProof Mega’s do something similar?

mrelectric

Got an Work Comp headset external cup for the Canyon; the 10mm height or so does slacken HA by 0.5deg alone. Offset top & bottom another 1.0.

Doesn’t help the OP much except as an indication of the stack vs HA change.

Deveron53
    Free Member

I’ve found a CK one for 14.99, might do the trick. NOW, I have a Cane Creek cartridge bearing headset, are the bearing exterior contact profiles the same? Can I fit a CK +5mm crown race to a CC headset?

Deveron53
    Free Member

Thanks Northwind. Bit pricey tho.

househusband

Couldn’t you just put a headset spacer below the crown race..?

(Undoubtedly I’m missing something obvious that means this can’t be done.)

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

get a local machining shop to make you one?

Northwind

househusband – Member

Couldn’t you just put a headset spacer below the crown race..?

Most steerers flare out at the bottom so if you just lift up the standard race/baseplate, it’ll end up loose on the unflared part. Though, there might be some leeway depending on the fork.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Where can I buy a spacer for UNDER my crown race?’ is closed to new replies.