Where are all the fat bikes?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 100 total)
  • Where are all the fat bikes?
  • kevs

Fat bike curious, having a quick look around and there doesnt seem to be much around.

Was it a fad thats gone or is plus the new fat?

Premier Icon zippykona
    Subscriber

For used try the fat bike selling page on Facebook.

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

Yes, the UK Fat Bike FB page is always a good soruce of info plus the linked selling page.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/260838637377100/

Premier Icon roverpig
    Subscriber

eMTBs are the new fat bikes, in that most of the marketing noise is directed that way at the moment. So fat bikes have returned to what they always have been, a fun and viable option for some people some of the time.

whitestone

Still about, there’s two in our household for example, but the “industry” has moved on to the next thing they can sell. Looking at fat-bike.com there’s new models appearing at a steady rate but most are probably only available in the States being US “cottage” manufacturers that you are unlikely to have heard of.

Of course the States gets fat bike suitable conditions far more regularly than we do so it’s to be expected. Even so there are threads on the MTBR forums along the lines of “Is Fat Dead?” at fairly regular intervals.

If you don’t do FB there’s the fat bike forum at http://www.fat-bike.co.uk/index.php

The emperors new clothes are now made of the finest gravel.

MrSparkle

^ it’s funny because it’s true!

Premier Icon Harry_the_Spider
    Subscriber

Was about to say the same!

Premier Icon swavis
    Subscriber

I’m still on my 7yo MK1 Mukluk, they got it right first time. Even more happy that an Edna fits easily in the back 😀

Premier Icon thisisnotaspoon
    Subscriber

Ive got 2 fat bikes and 2 ‘gravel’ bikes. Im feeling overdressed!

As Charlie said, if you keep buying the same type of bike year after year just looking for slight improvements you’ll get bored or miss out on new experiences.

The Bikemonger: Oi! Not that one…

But in answer to the OP, fat is dead, no one mainstream is making them anymore. Which means they can both be a secondhand bargain if you find someone desperate to sell (equally plenty of stuff is still listed at more normal prices but never seems to sell) but tyres/forks are ludicrously expensive for what they are (the bluto is a a stretched 6 year old Reba with a crown that comes loose after a year, being sold as a £450 fork.

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

If you’re happy with 4″ tyres on a 65mm rim then a boost 650B+ fork is a good fit and opens up fork choice to something with reasonable structural integrity and good internals – as above my experience with Bluto’s wasn’t great.

scotroutes

I’ve just bought a new fatbike after 8 years on my old one. Still gets occasional summer use but it’s my go-to for 3-4 winter months. Loads of other fatbikes where I live too. I guess the fad element has gone and we’re back to the folk that can actually make good use of them.

As Charlie said, if you keep buying the same type of bike year after year just looking for slight improvements you’ll get bored or miss out on new experiences.

Always tell your mummy before you go off somewhere IIRC.

I’ve got one, a Calibre dune. I live by the sea so mainly use it for beach riding though it’s also great for off the beaten trail exploration riding.

whitestone

@thisisnotaspoon – as far as the mainstream manufacturers are concerned fat probably is dead for the reasons stated above and it’s just the niche makers who are sticking with them – Salsa is probably the best known. There’s quite a big fat bike racing scene in the States and not just long distance stuff like the Iditarod and Arrowhead but what might be considered crit racing.

I just did a quick search on bikepacking.com’s new bike announcements and out of the last 36 going back to June of this year there are 7 for fat bikes. That’s a lot more than I expected to be honest. But announcements/releases don’t equate to sales and I’d expect that proportion to be much, much less.

Totally agree with the point about tyres being expensive – I’ve currently got 45Nrth VanHelgas on my bike, a mere £125 each!! They are currently two years old, given the low mileage I put on them unless I put a slash in one it’s likely they’ll last me many more. (Just noticed that 45Nrth have released a new tyre at $250)

Premier Icon akira
    Subscriber

Still some about, Kona and Canyon still do them anyway. Plenty of plus size bikes about from Trek etc.

They’ve been turned into heavy duty road hybrids, my one just did a mini tour of some climbs just inland from Prestatyn on 28mm 4 Seasons… So wish I had sorted the rear gear cable before I went, rather than being stuck in 17T sprocket, but it was good leg power and heart training!

Premier Icon roverpig
    Subscriber

I’ve just sold both my fatbikes to raise funds for a gravel bike. I am lord of the zeitgeist (or just a sucker for a new fad) 🙂

Premier Icon cookeaa
    Subscriber

Yup basically.
    Although I don’t think as many hopped on the Fat bike fad anyway. “Gravel” has been an excellent little earner for the mainstream bike brands where fat bikes were perhaps a little too niche, ‘captain C2W’ can credibly justify a £1-1.5K Gravel bike as both a commuting tool and a weekend lifestyle prop. Whereas a Fat bike probably wasn’t all that practical for lugging the laptop, lunchbox and Aeropress to the office and truth be told he wasn’t going to be traversing artic tundra when the weekend rolled around…

Also now that they’ve adopted ‘Plus’ tyres across most of their MTB ranges, I don’t think we’ll see much more in the way of Fat-bikes from the big brands.

I’d still like to see fat bikes endure as a niche, perhaps for those a bit more adventurous than an “Adventure” (gravel) bike can really accommodate. They do serve a purpose but it’s not really possible to build a huge market out of them…

scotroutes

Totally agree with the point about tyres being expensive – I’ve currently got 45Nrth VanHelgas on my bike, a mere £125 each!!

Mostly Minions and Jumbo Jims round here at half that price.

Premier Icon ampthill
    Subscriber

Their are elements of gravel that are fad. Riding off road with a bike that makes it harder than if you’d ridden your mountain bike. But very similar to if you’d ridden a 1990s one. I’m thinking 650b 2.1 tyres

Bikes with space for 30-40mm (ish) tyres so you can ride a wider range of surfaces. This takes us back to the norm for most of the history of the bike. So maybe less of fad

I’m still smashing around racing on fatbikes

Finished 4th in the augural gbduro using mine in the summer.

My race build is bang on 10kg in race trim including a mudhugger. was significantly more with all the gbduro kit though, but it carried the weight well, floated over the slop, gave me the ability to use any line i chose to wobble onto when burning the candle during the race! Who needs a gravel bike anyway?

They make a great winter bike too!! ,

Slam69 have multiple options available in both aluminium and titanium.

For a laugh in the runup to gbduro i entered a road time trial on it! Averaged 23mph and finished mid table, xc jersey and lid too against a field of pointy helmet and skinsuits. Surprised a few people!

stumpy_m4

Looking for a small fatbike soon, as moving close to the coast, so there will be some beach riding involved, also be looking for a kids fatbike for the grand daughter when she visits …. and ive already got a gravel bike 🙂

Premier Icon rOcKeTdOg
    Subscriber

fat is dead, no one mainstream is making them

Apart from Trek, Spesh, Cube & surly. All small bit part players admittedly

Anyway the answer is Smokestone Henderson

Premier Icon LAT
    Subscriber

Many of the mainstream manufacturers have a fat bike in their range, they probably don’t sell them or import many to the uk because the demand isn’t high enough to make it worthwhile.

edit: gravel bikes, as mentioned above, probably have a more lasting appeal in the UK than fat bikes due to their versatility.

@farbikeslim “what 4.8 inch tyre for a time trial?”

Premier Icon seosamh77
    Subscriber

rOcKeTdOg

Subscriber
    fat is dead, no one mainstream is making them

Anyway the answer is Smokestone Henderson

Didn’t think it was possible to make a fat bike uglier, but those mudguards have done it!

About to use my Farley for the first time this winter only use it in the mud 2017/2018 winter in Gloucestershire we had 5 lots of snow which is very rare now and it was amazing in virgin snow up on the Cotswolds hills always makes ramblers smile which is not that easy these days mind has 27.5″ wheels.

Premier Icon downshep
    Subscriber

28mm Contis on a fatbike? Excellent mud clearance I presume?

Premier Icon FOG
    Subscriber

Well I don’t know where they ALL are but there was one out around Brushfield this morning if the fresh tracks were anything to go by. I felt like David Attenborough tracking a rare beast!

scotroutes

Can I show the graph again??

Oh – anyone with a fatbike and able to make it to Laggan Wolftrax on Sunday is welcome to join us. I’ve a group of around a dozen doing a wee XC (non-trail centre) loop at a social pace. Meet at 10:00, set off at 10:30, back in time for scones. Nothing technical but a couple of very short pushes likely.

Subscriber

Mostly Minions and Jumbo Jims round here at half that price.

Still only 3x more expensive than you can pick up MTB tyres for then.

Do surly actually have a UK importer at the moment? Or is it still a £:$ conversion via Bikemonger?

Specialized aren’t, or at least aren’t importing it.

Trek will sell you a frame but not a full bike.

I think it’s fair to say the bubble has burst, the ship has sailed, the fat lady has sung, the emperor has new clothes, and I’ve run out of metaphors.

Even Slam69 have reduced their output of weekly “I’m still riding a fat bike and don’t care what anyone else says” spamming rants on Facebook.

scotroutes

Even Slam69 have reduced their output of weekly “I’m still riding a fat bike and don’t care what anyone else says” spamming rants on Facebook.

Amen to that!

Aren’t Trek still doing a full Farley for 2020?

https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/bikes/mountain-bikes/fat-bikes/c/B509/

and where do you get tubeless Minions for £22?

Subscriber

and where do you get tubeless Minions for £22?

Specialized Slaughter/Butchers in the sale a couple of months back, or Vittoria Goma’s from on-one for £14. Both very much Minion-alikes.

Premier Icon rOcKeTdOg
    Subscriber

Trek will sell you a frame but not a full bike.

I can order you a farley 5 for tomorrow as long as you need s, m, l or XL as Trek have stock of any of these sizes

Premier Icon rOcKeTdOg
    Subscriber

Didn’t think it was possible to make a fat bike uglier, but those mudguards have done it!

take them off and the mud covering you’ll get will save you having to see it 🙂

pipiom

Still loving mine, and still made if I’m not mistaken.

Eeek, my Bluto is a good 5 years old and still going strong. Don’t see many out and about – but on Tuesday the tyre track I was following was defo fat. They are very niche things. The “they are pointless” view always makes me smile, considering all any of us do is ride around the woods. My fatty is my worst bike by a long way.

k1100t

@thisisnotaspoon I thought Surly were imported by ISON Distribution? At least the window of Townsends is full of them…

Subscriber

I can order you a farley 5 for tomorrow as long as you need s, m, l or XL as Trek have stock of any of these sizes

I already have 2 fat bikes thanks 😉

The trek site is only showing alloy Farley 5 frames in the 2020 bikes though.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 100 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.