Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • When does your milk get delivered?
  • Pook

Our Friday milk + bread has just been delivered. 11.30pm on Thursday.

If I wasn’t awake, it’d be out all night. Are they too lazy for an early start these days?

With warm nights last week we had three pints go off really quickly.

wheelsonfire1

Speak to your Milky, ask them whether they’re lazy? See what happens.

binners

Mugboo

Anywhere between 1am and 3am.

ctk
    Free Member

3am-5am Tues, Thurs & sat

kayak23

Our Friday milk + bread has just been delivered. 11.30pm on Thursday.

How do you know that wasn’t your Thursday milk but shockingly late?

coynie09
    Free Member

4am-5am mon, wed, fri

MoreCashThanDash

This kicked off on the village FB page this week, quite rightly people getting fed up at stuff going off or being nicked.

I had a Saturday job on a milkround at school, we started at 4am. I suspect the hours and the wages were illegal, but my last call of the day involved a scantily clad yummy mummy on the dodgy estate, which made up for it.

MrPottatoHead

Really wanted to support a local milkman but we had the same problems with two different ones despite mentioning it and giving time to address. Either late at night or after 8am when we’d gone to work. I sympathise with how busy they are, but no point using them if I’m still having to make extra trips to supermarket to replace spoiled pints.

weeksy

I had a Saturday job on a milkround at school, we started at 4am. I suspect the hours and the wages were illegal,

Same as that, summer holidays too. Was about a 2 mile walk to the milk depot, I think we got £2-3 for a 5 hour shift.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Whenever I choose for the food order to be delivered

MoreCashThanDash

Same as that, summer holidays too. Was about a 2 mile walk to the milk depot, I think we got £2-3 for a 5 hour shift.

I was lucky, the depot was next door – up at 3.30, breakfast, first round done, reload van, pop home for second breakfast, out again at 7, back at 9, third breakfast, sleep till lunch……🤣

poly
    Free Member

Pook – like you ours is often delivered before 1am and has a few times been before midnight. Together with the loud diesel van and slamming of doors I am seriously considering not bothering. There’s one other house in the street still uses them so not sure if it will stop the disturbance.

ads678

Mine gets delivered when I send my son round the co-op. Pity they don’t accept note from your dad for fags* and booze any more!!

*I don’t actually smoke anymore so that bit doesn’t bother me.

Houns

04:00 here

fazzini

Usually Saturdays between 8am and 9am with the rest of our grocery shopping…

Edit – just to caveat – after my GCSEs (a very long time ago)…I used to work on a milk-round. 2am start loading the vans with no back doors and working through until about 8am or 9am on Saturdays as it was double-milk! All that for £1 an hour. But we did used to get a whole, singular, extra £1 on Saturdays due to aforementioned double-milk.

MrOvershoot

Around 2am, we got through the milkman an insulated auto locking holder that’s bolted to the wall so when he puts any bottles in it auto locks and we have the key.

Previous place we lived he was rubbish and didn’t start till 8am so most people came home to find milk going off on their doorstep!

MoreCashThanDash

after my GCSEs (a very long time ago)…I used to work on a milk-round. 2am start loading the vans with no back doors and working through until about 8am or 9am on Saturdays as it was double-milk! All that for £1 an hour.

Blimey, I was getting a little more than that and I did O levels!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Man who gets milk delivered calls other man lazy. Hmmm…

I was about a quid an hour too, 6 days delivering, 4am start, and collecting money Thu and Fri evening, and sat too.

Was a great laugh though.

jimdubleyou

I think a lot of them are having to do double shifts to cover people who are isolating / sick.

Our regular milkman was off for a couple of weeks and we were getting deliveries before midnight. Usually between 2 & 3am.

Pook

Man who gets milk delivered calls other man lazy. Hmmm…

Tbh I prefer getting milk from the Co-op but “we’re supporting local business”. It’s an ethical minefield.

lovewookie

used to be between 1:30am and 5am, but during the summer even the oat milk was going off on the doorstep, so they try to get it out between 4-6am.

ransos
    Free Member

You have to remember that not many people have their milk delivered these days, so they’re covering a far larger area on their rounds. Ours is delivered any time from midnight onwards, but I’ve never had any problems with milk going off.

BadlyWiredDog

Tbh I prefer getting milk from the Co-op but “we’re supporting local business”. It’s an ethical minefield.

Yep, we do that. Our milkman also lays eggs on our doorstep on Fridays, which makes for an especially exciting morning. Around 3 am I think.

He is also oblivious to Bank Holidays other than Christmas Day.

Coyote
    Free Member

Not entirely sure as I’m usually early to bed in the week. However we were coming back from the pub a couple of weekends ago, probably about 11:45 and the Modern Milkman sped past us up the road and our milk was awaiting us when we got home. Not had milk go off yet but I have concerns about frozen milk as we get into the darker months.

Drac

About 8pm the night before, use to be early hours of the morning.  However, as he’s become busier they changed the delivery time. It means I can put it straight in the fridge.

fazzini

Was a great laugh though.

Absolutely – jumping backwards off a moving van with 2 hand crates full of glass milk bottles was hilarious when it went wrong and the van was going 1/2mph too fast for your legs to literally hit the ground running :). Seeing your co-worker go arse-over-tit with glass bottles smashing everywhere was a riot and deffo woke folks up!!! Some of the customers used to leave us packs of bicccies etc. out cos they knew we got paid naff all. Oh, and we used to ‘surf’ on top of the vans when the boss wasn’t working…well, until the rozzers told us off, whilst pissing themselves laughing as we had ‘sufing USA’ blaring out too

Richie_B

When the fridge has milk in it about 7.00am

When its empty about 5 minutes after the school bus has gone

intheborders
    Free Member

Just before 6am for us, Mon/Wed/Fri.

We are though near enough the last stop on his round (very rural) and then from us he’s back and opens his corner shop.

We could have it 6 days per week, as he also delivers papers too.

Many, many years ago our milkman sold up and the new guy(s) delivered late at night. We moved to a different one who delivered early morning instead.

james-rennie

about 1:00am, 3 days a week. I know it’s 1:00am because Cooper the dog goes mental.

Fun Fact, it’s the sunlight more than the air temperature that makes milk go sour – ‘proven’ during O level chemistry in the 1980s

fossy

When I go to the supermarket. We go through loads though, as I love the stuff.

grum
    Free Member

We’ve tried to get milk delivered in our new place but no-one seems to want the business, despite neighbours getting milk deliveries – weird.

Our milkman also lays eggs on our doorstep

Now that I’d pay good money to see.

breadcrumb

after my GCSEs (a very long time ago)…I used to work on a milk-round. 2am start loading the vans with no back doors and working through until about 8am or 9am on Saturdays as it was double-milk! All that for £1 an hour. But we did used to get a whole, singular, extra £1 on Saturdays due to aforementioned double-milk.

In the mid-nineties I’d do milk 5am-7am Mon-Fri for £6 per day and double milk on a Saturday (3:30-7:30) for a tenner. £40 a week seemed like a lot to a 14/15 year old. Even had a paper round at the same time for a while so pulling in ~£55 a week.

tjagain

not since 1985!

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Our milkman also lays eggs on our doorstep

Now that I’d pay good money to see.

Then more to unsee.

We’ve tried to get milk delivered in our new place but no-one seems to want the business

If yours are like mine they’re trying to get rid of customers if they can. The massive increase in demand over lock down meant he has to turn down business he wants (such as yours where he’s next door already) because he can’t fit more product on the vehicle.

I don’t think mine sleeps though. Delivery to me is about 4am I think but I believe I’m his last drop. Then he’s working on a farm till mid afternoon, followed by his allotment till late evening.

poly
    Free Member

You have to remember that not many people have their milk delivered these days, so they’re covering a far larger area on their rounds. Ours is delivered any time from midnight onwards, but I’ve never had any problems with milk going off.

Although since we have fridges now its probably less essential that there’s fresh milk in the morning… so he could deliver it at say 9pm which would probably be more socially acceptable for all!

razorrazoo

We’ve just cancelled our delivery.  It used to be about midnight (started off about 4am and crept earlier in the last year) and even though we had an insulated caddy I’m sure that the milk was sitting for a while in the heat on the van and it was often a lottery of whether you’d be spitting out your cereal or not.  More recently it’s been a lottery if the milk even turned up, let alone the time.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Every morning at 8am when I get back from the shop with our daily 4 pinter.

kilo

Next doors gets delivered at about 0400, some noisy **** smashing crates around and waking people up just to drop off a pint of milk.
    There’s a shop a hundred yards away which sells the bloody stuff.

labsey
    Free Member

Ours seems to have gotten earlier over lockdown, used to be about 6am but now it can be any time after midnight. Never caused an issue with the actual milk though.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘When does your milk get delivered?’ is closed to new replies.