Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • When does your milk get delivered?
  • Premier Icon jimmy

I was riding home from a weekend away at about 11pm recently and saw our Milkman in the petrol station. I thought – nah, he must be just picking milk up from the depot for tomorow’s delivery. I got home went to bed and heard him dropping the milk off around midnight.

Premier Icon augustuswindsock

Tbh, if I was a milkman, I’d be going out late night rather than early hours of morning, especially in winter when its cold enough that the milk won’t be affected.

Premier Icon wonkey_donkey

Was always a 4am start when I was a kid and I did it for a bit.

Do they still do gold top? Anyone remember that? Extra creamy, probably clog your arteries after one sip! Still used to try and liberate the odd one mind….

Remember when you’d collect the milk from the step to find blue tits had pecked a hole and taken the cream from the top? Wonder if that learned behaviour has been lost?

Premier Icon fubar
    Free Member

Neighbours milkman woke me at 1:45am today, slams doors (twice) and revs the nuts off his van, arse ! Not the first time. Neighbour is due to move house next month so I’m hoping the new neighbour doesn’t use him.

Premier Icon kerley
    Free Member

It’s an ethical minefield.

Yep, and you have fallen at the first hurdle by even using milk.

Premier Icon slowoldman

No idea. I’m normally in bed. I’m running up quite a bill.

Premier Icon dashed
    Free Member

Last house used to be midnight. PIA in summer as house was south east facing so caught the morning sun. Had to put out a coolbox with a cool pack in it for the milk to stand any chance. New house around 6-6:30am much more civilised and not had pint go off yet.

Premier Icon Bunnyhop
    Free Member

Our Milkman (Mon, Wed, double on a Fri) always delivers in the very small hours, around 2.00am. There are several of us in the cul de sac that use him and it’s always been cold.

The only problem though is cancelling. He doesn’t always get the hang, even if we write a note and email. Never not had a milk person.

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash

Do they still do gold top? Anyone remember that? Extra creamy, probably clog your arteries after one sip! Still used to try and liberate the odd one mind….

You need to get yourself to Tagg Lane Dairy near Monyash if you ever ride in the Peak. Gold top milk from their own Jersey herd. Some of which is made into amazing ice cream.

Premier Icon thelawman
    Free Member

Generally about 4-5am Tues, Thurs and Sat. He used to have a diabolically noisy van which wasn’t very popular with the neighbours, but seems to be a lot quieter these days.
    And, yes, Jersey milk (with the Gold Top) was the mutt’s nuts… my grandma pretty much lived on it in tea and cereal for a long time, and she was approaching her 90s when she passed away so it can’t have done her arteries too much harm.

Premier Icon mrchrist

Last one around 11pm. New one around 630am.

I always left it out over night with no bother.

I was surprised when I heard him at 11pm the first time…

Premier Icon anagallis_arvensis

When does your milk get delivered?

Dunno I am asleep!

Premier Icon Dolcered
    Free Member

Was always 5.30am – 6pm. Had a few weeks of midnight deliveries.
    I don’t mind either time tbh.

Local farm, organic, calves get to stay with the mum’s, they get to keep their horns. Sounds like a better deal to me.
    Supermarket milk seems very watery in comparison now.

Premier Icon revs1972
    Free Member

Remember when you’d collect the milk from the step to find blue tits had pecked a hole and taken the cream from the top? Wonder if that learned behaviour has been lost?

And when it was so cold, that it would form a milk stalagmite and burst the tin foil cap off the bottle.
    Then you would be eating your rice crispies complete with ice shards

Premier Icon razorrazoo

We had issues with foxes which would take the top off the milk caddy, knock it over and ruin the milk.  Solved with a brick (on top of the caddy, not thrown at the fox).

Premier Icon bearnecessities

No idea. I’ve been up late Sunday and awake early Monday and never heard him drop his load on my doorstep. Never met him and not sure he even exists.

He’s like a milky Santa, except I know he’s called Ross.

Premier Icon MrSalmon
    Free Member

Mine is about 11am! Fine while WFH but that wouldn’t really work for me otherwise.
    It actually not that far for me to just stroll down to Sainsbury’s and get some, but these days I like more of my money to go to local businesses if I can (like others on here it sounds like).

Premier Icon CountZero

Delivered? Not since roughly 1969.

Premier Icon b230ftw
    Free Member

We had someone round offering to deliver milk a while back. Now I don’t mind paying extra for milk as I know farmers aren’t getting enough by the price they quoted was mine bendingly expensive. And they wouldn’t deliver it until long after we left for work, so it’d be left out for 6/7 hours.
    Completely pointless.

Premier Icon phil5556

I’ve heard ours a few times at 2ish and 4ish, I don’t really know when he comes except it’s there by 6am before we leave for work (apart from once I think).

The gulls or black birds still know how to do it. They also attack the eggs and leave them half eaten / half smashed over the drive. Solved with a wooden box on the step now.

Premier Icon BillMC

I’m amazed it still goes on. I haven’t seen a milk float in decades.

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash

And when it was so cold, that it would form a milk stalagmite and burst the tin foil cap off the bottle.

I’ve delivered it in those conditions.

It was often my nan who stole the cream off the top of the milk. Even if there was a bottle already open.

Premier Icon supernova
    Free Member

Was arriving at 9.30pm the night before so got cancelled. Like others I was a milk mans assistant as a teenager and started at 4am so am not impressed when they can’t do it now.

Premier Icon GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

and never heard him drop his load on my doorstep

Doing such a deed requires absolute silence to go undetected.

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.