Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Wheel building – brass or alloy nipples?
  • nedrapier

Can you re-use brass nipples? If so, for how many builds?

Probably until the point when you have something lovely to build up, the nipples in the “old nipples” drawer look a bit dirty for it, so you splash out on new ones at 9p (?) each.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

I’ll always strip a wheel before scrapping it so have brass nipples that have been used several times. Never had one fail

Another point in favour of brass. As long as the rims look good, I’m assuming it’s just spokes that you shouldn’t re-use in subsequent builds?

nickjb
    Free Member

Why wouldn’t you re-spokes. They do have a life but if they are in reasonable condition they can go on another build.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Oh, yes and cracking…

During usage I managed to shatter 2 alu nipples previously. Never the same with brass, despite almost wrecking the wheel completely.

From my experience it is just not worth risking with such a negligible weight save.

Especially that commuter bike is supposed to last and being as reliable as possible.

At least in my books…

Cheers!
    I.

Northwind

13thfloormonk

Some wheelbuilders speak 😉

https://dcrwheels.co.uk/custom-wheelsets/sils-alloy-nipples/

“Sapim confident they will outlast brass”

Do Sapim themselves say that? I’ve read their fluff, but not recently, and “outlast brass” would have stood out for the bullshit it is.

That’s not to say they can’t last really well but there’s no potential for softer, less fatigue resistant, less corrosively stable alu to outlast brass. Have a perfectly good lifespan that means it’s effectively as good as brass? Maybe.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Absolutely go with brass, especially if it’s for a commuter bike subject to year round weather.

I can’t recall the last time that I had a brass nipple fail on me, they’re reliably reusable.

cynic-al
    Free Member

VW cars are sold for many reasons, emissions is not one of them, at least it wasn’t.

People didn’t look at emissions when buying cars? Really?

Sapim on the other hand only make spokes and nipples. They’ve made a categorical claim about 50% of their product range – alloy ones won’t corrode

Aluminium spoke aren’t 50% of their product range.

and it would be very obvious if they turned out to be lying.

The fact that an enthusiast forum is arguing about this says it wouldn’t be obvious at all – it’s not like there’s a database is stats.

Both were absolutely fine. One did not get much use, the other was my main MTB for a decade or so. I say fine – the wheels were a bit flexible in proper rough stuff, but then lots of stuff was back in those days.

“Fine” as in all moved freely after that decade, having been ridden year round, like the OP who has worn out a rim, the conditions are so rough?

Enjoying the discussion, you never back down with me!

molgrips
    Free Member

“Fine” as in all moved freely after that decade, having been ridden year round, like the OP who has worn out a rim, the conditions are so rough?

No, on a fairly well looked after (but not obsessively so) bike.

If you go back to the start I said brass for everything except where you care about weight and want a lightweight build on something you are going to clean. And I will now be going with Sapim for those cases, as a considered risk. End of thread, at least from me.

simondbarnes

I had to cut the spokes out of a wheel I’d built using sapim aluminium nipples when I went to change the rim after 3 years. Have never had to do that with brass nipples.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Wheel building – brass or alloy nipples?’ is closed to new replies.