Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • What’s your favourite knee pads ?
  • weeksy

I’m a bit gutted as we went out riding to some random lake/reservoir yesterday and took the BiL too. When we fit a 3rd bike on my rack you need a bit of padding to separate them, so i ran out of pipe lagging and used a knee pad. Which then seems to have come off and got lost on the way to the trails 🙁

It’s had a tough and long life, from trips to Morzine, lots of Wales, FoD, well, everywhere for the best part of 10 years. It’s an old style Fox Launch pad and was super comfy.

But in honesty it was getting old, tired and past it’s best.. so not a bad thing to replace it.

Looking on CRC there’s loads of choices, but every one i see has the odd 1* or 2* reviews in there. I’ve tried Dainese Trail skins which rubbed terribly… but i’ve not tried any others.

So i guess recommendations on here are as good as anything.

franksinatra

Favourite kneepads? How about Atta Girl Knee Pads? (Atta Boy Knee Pads now also available)

ta11pau1

This is going to be a very very personal thing, but for me I like the D30 pad inserts which are both flexible and tough. My choice are the IXS Carve Evo+

https://ixs.com/en/bike/mtb-equipment/armours/1466/carve-evo-knee-guard-grey

Pretty much all day comfortable, very protective too. Once mine get worn out I’ll order the same again, just once size up as mine are a bit too tight now (bigger legs and all that…)

weeksy

was looking at the IXS on CRC too, i usually get a few quid from the MiL in the way of a CRC voucher for Xmas so that would work well.

Tracey

I’d be driving back to try and find it.
    Abigale once left her new gloves in the top carpark at Wharncliffe, a couple of hours later her dad drove her back to see if they were still around.
    Shocked at the different uses a car park has at different times of the day and night
    Still using GForm

z1ppy

I really like the Dianese trailskins, so much so I have your old pair 😀 but otherwise have a set of Raceface Ambush, which I think are excellent, but definitely more substantial, though I’m still happy to use them on longer day rides. Being able to pop them off, via the straps and not over your boots, at the end of the ride is an excellent feature.

superstu
    Free Member

Tried a lot but the IXS are unnoticeable when on so would be my bet. I think it’s quite personal but had mine for years and they’re brilliant for me, never slip, nice and close but never rub. Have some nukeproof slip ins which are ok too. Not quite as comfortable but work ok.

I find anything with an “open” back rather than closed with a mesh (if that makes sense) chews through my leg really badly

Painey
    Free Member

Another vote for IXS here. I also have a pair of Dainese Trail Skins and some Scott Grenades for anywhere that requires a bit of extra protection. The IXS are by far the best and having recommended them to a friend he also really rates them.

weeksy

I’d be driving back to try and find it.

IT’s a 30 mile drive on the back roads of rural wales on a route i don’t actually know 😀

So i’m afraid we’re accepting it as lost.

weeksy

Looks like IXS are winning then guys.

I guess it’s between the Flow Evo+ and the Carve Evo+

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ixs-carve-evo-knee-guard/rp-prod167195

I think it may be the carve as they have double strapping to ensure they stay in place. Along with a little bit more padding/protection by the look of things.

nickc

I’ve a pair of IXS Flow, and while they’re super comfy, I don’t think I’d like to have rely on them for very techy really fast or a trail there’s a high likelihood of substantial injury if you came off. I think for “regular” riding in the woods or trails with little consequence, they’re fine. I’ve some Sweet Protection for uplift days and so on.

ta11pau1

Go for the carve – if you need an idea on sizing let me know, I’ve got a size M and haven’t got the biggest thighs in the world but they’re still… ‘snug’ Lets just say I don’t have ANY issues with them moving about!! Just measured my thighs about 5cm above the kneecap (ie where the top strap on these would sit) sitting down and I’m 44cm. The M on their chart says 40-42cm, next time I’ll go for a L or maybe even an XL if my legs get any bigger.

hairyscary

IXS carve Evo are the best I’ve tried for comfort. Unfortunately they seem to have changed their sizing slightly and I’m now in between sizes 🙁
    I now use Leatt 3DF pads which fit well enough but aren’t as comfortable.

dc1988

RaceFace Ambush d30, I have these now having had the Fox launch for a number if years. I find the RF ones are more comfortable, feel like they will protect more in a crash and best of all don’t require removal of shoes to put on. They never slip or rub for me, the only downside is they’re not the smallest/lightest but I prefer to prioritise protection and comfort over all else

leegee

I have a broken knee cap which needs protection and I have several sets.

the best are Ion K Pact and Scott Grenade. the Ion are a tight fit but once you are warmed up you won’t notice them and the insert comes out so they can be washed.

jacobff

I have a pair of Bliss pads that I love, but it took a while trying on in the shop to find out.

I used to have some 661 ones but I bought the wrong size so hardly wore them.

Short answer, it’s quite personal.

cb200
    Free Member

My go to pads are my Dakine Slayer which I can’t fault. I also have some Ixis Flows which I panic bought when I thought I’d lost the Slayers, and found them far less comfortable.

mrdestructo

I have some IDP-7 Covert kneepads right now. My shins feel a bit naked. You can open them easy and mix nd match inserts dependent on what you’re doing that day. Hot days riding for distance, street/DJ, or DH. No velcro straps, but the stretchy sock doesn’t appear to make them slip. You do feel they are there, on your kneecap, but that feeling dissipates eventually.

I usually use Fox shinpads but couldn’t source them again. Tried 661 shinpads but when they turned up they seemed built for sports by people that don’t play sports and therefore have chicken legs.

BillOddie

To misuse the old adage…

“Pick a kneepad brand and be a dick about it”

There are some brands that will fit you and some that won’t depending on the ratio of calf size to thigh size.

I seem to get on well with Race Face, you may not.  We had some Dakine, 100% and Fox pads come through the door in an effort to get a new set for my eldest and to be fair they all looked well made.  The Fox Enduro were the ones that ended up being kept.

rossburton
    Free Member

POC VPD Air are comfy but fairly tough, so I like them on my knees.

andrewreay

POC VPD Joint here. Low profile, ultra comfortable, don’t stop you climbing (at all). Fit nicely under shorts and trousers. No shin protection, but…

Main thing is they don’t make you look like you’re about to break up a riot at the G7.

remedyflyer
    Free Member

I use Troy lee on the MTB did try a few makes which rubbed race/face/100% etc on my Motorbike use KTM and Thor.

weeksy

Well I took the cheap option.

There’s a pair of the identical pads to mine that I lost. Up over on pinkbike classifieds. £24 posted. Can’t argue with that and now I’ll have 3. Lol

Same size, model etc so no discussion on fitting etc.

chiefgrooveguru

I think your cheap option is the right one. Pad reviews are useless when it comes to fit – you need to try loads and keep the ones that fit your legs. I love the Fox Launch Pro – I have a back-up pair for when my seemingly everlasting pair eventually die!

greeny30
    Free Member

2nd hand pads 🤮

weeksy

2nd hand pads

I can promise you, I’m sweatier than the guy I bought them from. No matter who he is

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

2nd hand pads 🤮

I didn’t think sweaty knees was a thing.

weeksy

The sweat dribbles down from your balls!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

The sweat dribbles down from your balls!

Are you wearing them on your knees or licking them? 😳

weeksy

Lol !

tony07
    Free Member

Troy Lee raids. Don’t notice I’m wearing them. Hike a bike to full days in the saddle. Previous pocs destroyed me

bikesandboots

IXS Flow Zip generally, never an excuse for not wearing them. Agree with what nickc said. ION K-Pact Zip for when the likelihood * consequence equation produces a higher number.

gavstorie
    Free Member

raceface ambush.. Comfy and removable without taking off your shoes. wouldnt use anything else.

remedyflyer
    Free Member

What is wrong with washing your knee pads!!people buy secondhand helmets way more sweaty.

nedrapier

Just get on a few webshops and order a bunch round your size, M-L, S – M whatever, they’ll all be different, one’s going to be more comfy than the others (for the level of protection you want).

Try them on in the house, go up and down the stairs, different ones on each knee, keep the comfiest one on, swap the less comfy one for another, knock-out style, until you’ve selected a winner. Send the rest back.

Unless you have a knee double out there, and know who he is, and know that’s he’s tried them all, it’s a little bit pointless asking people “what pads”.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘What’s your favourite knee pads ?’ is closed to new replies.