Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)
  • What's your favourite camping meal?
  • Clobber
    Free Member

Stagg Chilli & Rice

Seriously?
    Rather shit in a pan.

You’ve obviously not tried ‘Dynamite Hot’ Stagg Chilli… Food of the gods I tell thee…

wl
    Free Member

Chorizo fried then added to Ainsley Thai couscous. With sh*tloads of crisps and Sports Mix because couscous isn’t very filling. Usually washed down with a bottle of port.

taxi25
    Free Member

Pub.

x1000 I never camp unless there’s a good pub nearby.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

fresh bread and home made soup

hora – I have the frontier stove mentioned in the link. relatively light, chimney bits fit into the stove so it’s portable’ish, and fitting available to install to bell tents and/or shed. And that wraparound kettle thing looks pretty dinky. Not as cheap as a camping gaz stove, but it warms the tent up nicely.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

fresh bread and home made soup

Probably fun if you want to make a real focus on mealtimes but for me that all looks a massive faff.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I tried Stagg Chilli. Once. Never again. I love chilli more than any other food tho. Canned chilli is naztehy

Talking of cans, those tinned irish stews aren’t too bad at all. They’ve cheered me up many a night under soggy skies. Then again, so has a tin of bacon grill, or canned ham with mustard. On crappy sliced white bread.

Cheese sandwiches with brown sauce…I could go on

wilko1999
    Free Member

45 odd posts and no specific mention of baked beans with sausages in? The connoisseurs choice

stumpy01

mikewsmith – Member

Stagg Chilli & Rice

Seriously?
    Rather shit in a pan.

There is so much real food you can cook without resorting to anything near that.

Erm….OK.

Stoner
    Free Member

when Im bivvying I try and avoid carrying anything wet. Dry foods only. It takes up room that is better used to carry wine. When someone invents dehydrated wine, I shall have their babies and get v v drunk in the hills. Next to a brook.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

A proper chorizo will keep. Can of white beans, onion garlic , can of tomatoes . Fry chorizo so fat comes
    out, in with chopped onion and garlic. Toms. Reduce , add beans. Squeeze of lemon on top is great if you are a true camping ponce .the beans also make farting in a sleeping bag/tent an absolute riot

tillydog
    Free Member

Any recommendations for a camping stove (or BBQ type thing) for camping for a family (drive not carry there).

Something like this

Two burners so you can do rice/pasta/spuds and something to go with it at the same time, AND IT DOES TOAST!

We’ve got an older version of the same thing that we’ve used for the last 25(!) years. Camping gaz is expensive, but very widely available & you don’t use that much, anyway.

(For back-packing: meths stove.)

Marin
    Free Member

Papas pobre or poor mans potatoes and yes my spelling is probably wrong.
    Big chunks of onion,garlic,chilli,potatoes,tomatoes,chorizo and green pepper all cooked in the same pan cause your poor.

Or fresh caught filleted mackerel dipped in eggs with salt and pepper then rolled in oats and fried served on wholemeal bread. Must stress out the sea into pan freshness.

epicyclo

mikewsmith – Member
    …Rather shit in a pan.

After you, old chap. 🙂

deadkenny
    Free Member

taxi25 – Member
    x1000 I never camp unless there’s a good pub nearby.

Screw the camping, stay at the pub (if they have rooms). Warm, comfy, warm showers, pub grub and beer.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Lentil dhal.

Hell no! Well, unless you’re carrying a lot of bhog rholl.

scotroutes

Dehydrated beer is now available in the US and coming to the UK (as soon as HM Customs & Excise get their heads around it)

tillydog
    Free Member

Dehydrated beer is now available in the US and coming to the UK (as soon as HM Customs & Excise get their heads around it)

**Checks date**

…Sounds too good to be true 🙂

scotroutes

http://www.patsbcb.com/

The guys at backcountrybiking in Aviemore have some they’ve been sampling/trialling and are currently negotiating with the powers that be. Keep an eye on their Facebook feed to see what develops.

https://www.facebook.com/backcountrybiking.co.uk

ebygomm
    Free Member

Uncle Ben’s tomato risotto with added onion and chorizo.

edhornby

there was tinned haggis in aldi on reduced the other day 🙂 just get chips from the nearest chippy and slices of haggis fried in a frying pan on the fire !

dehydrated wine is already happening – but you don’t want it, it’ll be bloody vile

http://www.amazon.com/Jansal-Valley-Powder-Chablis-Ounce/dp/B00BV1G9JI

if I was French I would be suing them for putting the word chablis on it – note that it’s non-alcoholic because the alcohol is lost in the drying process, so for drinking wine they will add powdered ethanol and this is why it will taste foul

tomd
    Free Member

For proper lightweight camping packets of couscous and some sort of dried meat or fish is good. Freeze dried veg or mushrooms good to add. Sometimes I add a good dose of olive oil or butter to add energy.

Lots of good suggestions above for can based meals. M&S and Sainsbury’s curry in a can are surprisingly good, especially if you add some extra fresh veg to them.

Tinned ham is OK, as is corned beef. Tinned chicken makes me wretch for some reason, it smells like cat food.

hilldodger
    Free Member

The beer is liquid concentrate rather than powder and the versions I’ve tried tastes like shite, even worse than northern beer.
    Plus you need to take the carbonating bottle and associated faff – really not worth the bother for a warm, slightly fizzy beer like beverage, but the glampackers will love it no doubt.

ransos
    Free Member

our car camping favourite is a tasty homemade curry or Bolognese, frozen. Will easily last in the cool box till the second night with the added benefit of replacing need for icepacks

That’s what we do. Just boil up some pasta or rice, and you’re done – couldn’t be easier.

As for toast – go to Wilko’s and buy a £5 electric toaster for your hook up – way better than those cruddy camping gaz grills.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Curry: make a spice mix before you go, pack it in one of those little plastic containers you can get.

Then just chop up an onion, garlic and ginger, get some local meat as mentioned elsewhere in the thread, and fry it all up. Local beer. Rice.

Job done, it tastes nicer in the outdoors, and your camping neighbours will be well jealous.

bones
    Free Member

The beer is interesting, could be ok with some fresh cold stream water. Shirley it could be replicated with a good home brew kit by fermenting with much less water than normal? Think I’ll stick with the whisky or bourbon for now.

tomd
    Free Member

I don’t think you can do it that way, a very high sugar concentration will inhibit the yeast. Think of the relatively shelf lives of marmalade and fresh;y squeezed orange juice.

I think you need to essentially make beer and then concentrate it either using some sort of membrane filtration, or evaporation and add the alcohol back in.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

I normally just buy 4 bottles of beer from the local farm shop.

Stoner
    Free Member

Damn you all. From hopeful to dashed dreams in so few posts. 🙁

tastes like shite, even worse than northern beer

Is that even possible?

hilldodger
    Free Member

I think you need to essentially make beer and then concentrate it either using some sort of membrane filtration, or evaporation and add the alcohol back in

Yes, it’s essentially concentrated beer flavoured juice with added ethanol – nassssty 🙁

bones
    Free Member

tastes like shite, even worse than northern beer

Tried Wylam or Cullercoats?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

As for toast – go to Wilko’s and buy a £5 electric toaster for your hook up – way better than those cruddy camping gaz grills.

Sadly, there’ll be no electrical hookups, and on at least one potential trip no easily accessible local shops so any food would need to last unrefridgerated for 4-5 days, fresh meat bought on the way for day one will be fine but after that I’m not so keen. This also counts out going to the pub and visits to the local chippy.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Is that even possible?

GET OUT!

————————————-

You lot are talking about Palcohol

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/shortcuts/2014/apr/21/palcohol-powder-alcohol-vodka-rum-cocktail-snorting

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Ideally something that’ll last for a couple of days without refrigeration, is tasty, easy to cook and properly sorts the hunger after a big day out.

We usually do something pasta based, spag bol or penne with jar of quality sauce and usually pack it out and improve it with mushrooms, peppers, chorizo etc. Ususlly have some fruit cake, cheese and coffee after.

hora
    Free Member

TBH camping is the one time when hotdog sausages INSIDE a pan of beans spooned out does feel just right.

Cougar

The guys at backcountrybiking in Aviemore have some they’ve been sampling/trialling

I just had a look at http://www.patsbcb.com/product/pale-rail/

Apparently, “4 individual 50ml packets makes a growler’s worth (64oz) of wonderfully portable adult beverage.”

hilldodger
    Free Member

“4 individual 50ml packets makes a growler’s worth (64oz) of wonderfully portable adult beverage.”

64oz capacity growler, impressive – but not sure I’d like to drink beer from it 😆

ericemel
    Free Member
    ransos
    Free Member

Oh and concentrated beer = whisky. Much easier to transport…

worldrallyteam
    Free Member

Boil in the bag rice and a tin of curry. Aunt Bessie’s pancake mix.

themightymowgli
    Free Member

Some of these are superb. Lamb hotpot is one of my favourites. Plus they’re in packet sachet things so no tins to deal with
    http://www.lookwhatwefound.co.uk

Edit. Bummer, pipped to the post…….by 9 hours

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘What's your favourite camping meal?’ is closed to new replies.