Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • whats the worst rockshox ever made??
  • radoggair
    Free Member

hd a few sets over my time……… MAg 20 , Mag 21, Judy DH, Psylo SL, Lyrics

By far the worst was Psylo's, originally good out of the box but seized like ronnie biggs on british tarmac after a year with a mystical reduction in travel after 6 months.

Have a major soft spot for my Mag 21's and keep bidding for the SL version on e-bay now and again, with the long (60mm) travel kit included

cynic-al
    Free Member

quadra 5

seized like ronnie biggs on british tarmac

classic

Reluctant
    Free Member

Oooh! That's a long list! But my vote goes to……..The Quadra 21R! The Yellow Peril that seized at the first sign of rain and steered like a Super Noodle! Glad I never had the misfortune of owning one!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    lowey

1995 Judy XC's. Damping cartridge popped 1st ride out.

bikemonkey
    Free Member

Dukes were pretty bad I seem to remember

lowey

I loved my Quad 21R actually. A bit of a ground breaking fork… the 1st level of relatively good performance at an affordable price.

nickc

Another vote for Quadra 21's. Awful awful things, I remember going out after I'd saved up and fitted them, and thinking "This is different to rigid forks in what way?.." Other than suddenly not being able to go where I steered…

mrmo
    Free Member

got to be first gen Judy XC's one cartridge per ride, when they worked they were ok.

nickc

I don't remember Dukes being that bad.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Indy S. Worse than a 21R by a loooooooooooong way. A 21R on a budget.

ton

i once bought some sids……………not a wise choice for a largish bloke…………. 🙄

lyons
    Free Member

i had some pilot xcs. They steered, they just didnt move. At all. Preety poor in myopinion to say the least.

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

Judy TT.

Had one on a Specialized Hardrock back in 2001 or so.

No damping whatsoever, then I got them wet, they let water inside and hydraulic lock meant they had no travel either.

But then I suppose it's not fair to criticise given the market segment they were aimed at.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Rock shox Jett were pretty bad I remember.

Infact they were probably all shite up until the last couple of years or so.

lyons
    Free Member

Best rockshox? A pair of 2001 cherry red boxxers, which were tuned by tim flooks. Unbeleivably plush!

T1000
    Free Member

original judy's, foolishly bought into the marketing hype that elastomers were the way forward (marketing cr#p)…….

It took a set of Risse hardbody cartridges and speed springs until they performed anywhere near as well as my Mag 20's (sadly missed as they had a Brodie brace installed)

neil853
    Free Member

i think they were all ok at the time? quadra 21's were awesome atthe time, remember when 60mm was long travel! i had some duke sl's, worked well.

loved my judy DH's! just wish my lyric 2 steps had a better service interval 🙁

mag 21's were ground breaking, kind of wish they'd go back to that proper oil bath system

samuri
    Free Member

1995 Judy XC's. Damping cartridge popped 1st ride out.

Yep, I'll go with these Judy's. Mine stopped being suspension forks after about 1 ride. The stanchions looked like they'd been dragged down the road behind a car because there was bog all lubrication in them and perhaps most impressively of all, they would fill up with water so in winter they would freeze and not move at all. Brilliant.

Hadge
    Free Member

You mean Rock Shox make good ones!!!!!!!!! Only joking but for what it's worth it has to be the Indy's. Had some SL's and they were utter utter shitte. Only had two other pairs of RS forks since then and if it wasn't for getting them incredibly cheap, I wouldn't of had them. Reba World Cup Black Box – crap. Got them for £200 and sold them for a lot more – only had them because I saw a fast buck. Years ago I had some SID's and did exactly the same with them.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

06 tora solo airs – brilliant
    08 revelations dual air – brilliant
    07 totem solo air – rubbish seals leading to a downfall of the fork. very pissed at that. hoping the 09 coil replacements will be better

bigrich

I got some indy c's in 1996. they are still running although on my mums bike (to the shops and back) but they go down and also go up.

Nearly 13 years old! now i feel old.

mtbrDot
    Free Member

All SIDs with 28mm legs. FLEXY carp.

Stoner
    Free Member

I had some SID100s – noodly yes, but still pretty plush.

Worst I had was some Dukes. High speed spiking turned them into rigid forks just at the most inopportune moment!

Flooks fiddled with something and they were vastly improved but by then they were on their way to a bird-mate's bike.

samuri
    Free Member

There's no question that RS modern forks are good, but only because they started copying marzocchi. I've got some Toras and some Recon's. The recon's are fantastic.

epicsteve
    Free Member

My 1st MTB had Jett's fitted and they were pretty bad. My wife's bike had Judy TT's and while still poor they were a lot better than the Jett.

Sam

Gotta be the cheap quadra/indy.

crazy-legs

I remember when i got my Quadra 21R's, bought them off the back of a review in MTB Pro which said they were bonkers good value for money and great forks.
    And to be fair, they were for their time.

I always remember Duke's as being a bit rubbish – a mate had some and she was forever moaning about how they needed servicing all the time.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Indy SLs were by far the worst I've had elastomer sprung and no damping cartridge. A selling point was that the elastomer's got hot during use and this was a form of self damping and dissipated the energy as heat. Then they would fill up with water the elastomer's would sease[sp] and pop out the crown on a bump.

GW
    Free Member

super deluxe rear coil shock in DH guise.. "pop"… did anyone manage an entire season of DH on one without it repeatedly blowing?

Samurai – mission/motion control is **** all like Marzocchi's open bath damping 😕

jimmy

I remember wanting Q21r's so badly in yellow to go on my blue and pink KHS because there was a picture of Wayne (forgotten surname) riding the same combo. Sooooooo cool. Never bought any. First pair of rockshox are currently under the bed awaiting build.

soobalias
    Free Member

experienced Judy TT, put me right of RS untill i had a play on some revalations recently.

ive got a set of Judy SL things sat in the garage, I need a new preload adjuster/topcap so i can slap them on the kids bike.

anyone got anything might fit?

Konastoner
    Free Member

96 Judy SL with MS Speed Spring 10/10, had them for 10 years and only serviced them 4 times, were stll as new when I sold them.

2001 Psylo were quite good considering I bough them for £30 in 2006 and they were nera enough mint condition!

2007 Lyrik U-Turns 10/10 have performed flawlessly, still of thre heckler after 2 years Afan riding. They are serviced nearly every month though.

Worst was the Quadra 5's though, nearly killed me more than once!

chakaping
    Free Member

Sounds like I got off easy with my old SIDs.

Am glad I held out buying a sus-fork until a few years ago now.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘whats the worst rockshox ever made??’ is closed to new replies.