Viewing 22 posts - 161 through 182 (of 182 total)
  • What's the point of a Fixie?
  • brakes
    Free Member

I’d consider myself comfortable riding normally on a fixed wheel bike but hopping up or down a kerb, just snaps my mind – riding off road, like proper off road with roots and rocks and jumps must be proper hard

somafunk

Alex of Solutide cycles fame used to do rather well at riding fixed off road, i remember following him down a tricky descent at the Euro SingleSpeed champs at Aviemore in 2004 and he was doing rather well, occasional hop here, quick bounce there and it was certainly very skilful to watch, if i tried that off road i’d be off on my face within seconds. I can manage the odd kerb and riding off a few steps is a challenge i want to master along with a long and controlled wheelie but off road riding is something else entirely.

PS : Where is Alex these days?, is he still building?

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

How come all the mtb fixies don’t have suspension

I’d imagine suspension becomes a bit redundant when you don’t have a freewheel. Maybe the kind of person who’d ride fixed offroad tends towards having the most simple form of bike?

tomlevell

Mine does as it improves the ability to plough through stuff when required. I move a spacer below the stem also to take a bit of pressure off the hands too.
    I also run 2 brakes as it’s increases the ability to be able to get down stuff in the wet massively compared to only a front brake and an impossible to control back pressure braking in slick mud and gives your legs a break if they are turning to rubber on fast downhills.

Stupified Simple by tomlevell, on Flickr

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Somafunk, did you see my post above?^^^

somafunk

Yeah, I sent u an email to your address in profile

nickc

Mine does as it improves the ability to plough through stuff when required. I move a spacer below the stem also to take a bit of pressure off the hands too.
    I also run 2 brakes as it’s increases the ability to be able to get down stuff in the wet massively compared to only a front brake and an impossible to control back pressure braking in slick mud and gives your legs a break if they are turning to rubber on fast downhills

slow handclap….well done.

tomlevell

Your point being?

ourmaninthenorth

I used to ride fixed on the track and on the road. I always found that my pedalling was vastly improved…6or riding fixed. However, riding a geared bike afterwards always fel like chopping broccoli in comparison.

That said, I rather fancy another road fixed – might build one over Christmas.

nickhart
    Free Member

Jekkyl, in answer to the q, I guess you’re meaning rear suspension. Lack of is usually to do with chain length/growth/tension. Oh and fixie riders can say its because they like simplicity, I think it’s a masochistic thing…….

ericemel
    Free Member

My current fav ride…

PS : Where is Alex these days?, is he still building?

Not afaik but Lee Cooper the guy that built for Alex is.

http://leecoopercycles.webs.com/apps/photos/

Macavity
    Free Member
    154hopperavenue
    Free Member

Friend’s thoughts on the subject

Contributions to the site most welcome….

crankedupreallyhigh@gmail.com

ourmaninthenorth

Never tire of looking at that ericemel – love it..!

miketually
    Free Member

(Not read all of that.)

Fixed is really silly, but so is riding a bike for no real purpose, so it doesn’t matter 🙂

I have a really ugly fixed, which was a prize at SSUK in 2006. A Solitude frame built with some unsuitable parts. It’s ugly but fun.

Haze

Rode my Simple fixed while I was sorting out my rear brake, really enjoyed it…probably because it was so different to my usual riding.

Reading this lot is making me think of going fixed again for the winter…

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

I used to have a fixed bike. An ancient half rusted steel thing with horizontal dropouts and 28″ (they were old) wheels. Commuted on it for a year with panniers and mudguards and all that jazz.

Then I sold it to my brother. Who now rides it everywhere.

Wish I’d kept it, to be honest.

I just liked riding it – enough reason for me to think they have “a point”.

miketually
    Free Member

More fixing. This time of the past break glitch.

tthew

Ed Hornby up there ^^^ once crashed his fixie into the Basingstoke canal. Was one of the funniest things I ever saw in my life.
    I like the cut of that Kona’s jib.

edhornby

Cheers our kid 😀 didn’t you fall off your bike recently?
    it was my dads fixed gear and probably too big really but yeah I ended up in the drink and right up to my shoulders

I have also come to the conclusion that the best way of avoiding trouser ripping or oilstain is the rolled up trouser leg – fixietwattery of the highest order and ultimate practicality in one, gah

somafunk

That was hamsterley 2006 wasn’t it mike?, a good event indeed. You rode there on fixed didn’t you?.

A link to my Hamsterly 2006 SSUK flickr page

Biff showing off his pole dancing moves at Hamsterly

miketually
    Free Member

That was hamsterley 2006 wasn’t it mike? a good event indeed.

It was. A fab event.

I’m in the elite walking brigade in your photo set 🙂

You rode there on fixed didn’t you?.

I was riding SS, but I did ride there. I think SolitudeAlex/Singlespeedpunk and TomL were the only two fixed riders that year?

Viewing 22 posts - 161 through 182 (of 182 total)

The topic ‘What's the point of a Fixie?’ is closed to new replies.