Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • What's the most annoying thing about your bike?
  • JimmyW
    Free Member

I currently ride mostly downhill and am always bending the derallieur not just the mech hanagar. This means i have to buy a new one as most of the time they get bent beyond repair. I was wondering if anyone else has this problem and if there's a solution out there?

I'm starting an A level project in Product Design and was wondering what problems other riders have with their bikes, gear or problems to do with biking in general.

Cheers,

James

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It's dirty. I forgot to clean it last time around.

ton

it struggles to keep up with me uphill…………. 😉

cullen-bay
    Free Member

clothing/drivetrains wear out every couple of months.

Taff
    Free Member

The rear rim is dented and xt hub feel horrible and I keep repairing it hoping that at some point I will get a pay rise and can therefore get a new one

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

the rider 🙂

[edit] OK, now I've read the question, the annoyingest thing is brake squeal

chainslapp
    Free Member

I cant find a second hand set of 29er forks for mine, most annoying.

_tom_
    Free Member

Things are always going wrong with it. At the minute the problem is the rear hub, I think it's nackered. Shimano XT cup+cone shite 😡

Brakes also need bleeding, I dont have a bleed kit and don't really know how to do it.

Wish I could afford a new one, tbh I probably could if I saved all the money I've spent on replacement parts.

sc-xc

The most annoying thing about my bike is the lustful stares from other riders. Riding this steedbitch is like going out with a fg supermodel. It's a cross I have to bear.

JimmyW
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. 🙂 Anyone had problems with bent derallieurs?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

punctures and tyre tears

Telling me to by chunkier tyres I think

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Barry Bethel – joke is getting thin.

sc-xc

It's not a joke. It's a bike hat gets ridden.

If I was going to come here and tell jokes, I'd need a licence….for making sides split in a built up area.

EDIT: and I post that bike…because my normal one is really ugly.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Anyone had problems with bent derallieurs?

2nd most annoying, yes! I usually break them off within a year of fitting 🙁

IHN

I did have problems with bent dérailleurs, until I stopped buying shadow ones. They're dogshit

binners

I'd say that if you could design a strong, light, cheap and durable improvement/alternative to the rear deralier, you'll be a very very very rich man.

I've got a pile of smashed rear mechs in the corner of the garage. Having said that: I still think the Shimano XT rear mech is possibly one of the most bomb-proof pieces of kit (for the price) on the market

Good luck with it! Seriously – keep us posted. I knew a lot of product designers at Uni. And this seems like a really worthwhile project

amodicumofgnar

It wont be ready until tomorrow

Grimy
    Free Member

I cant get a bottle cage on it for when I want to ride light without a bag.

ourmaninthenorth

HT MTB – bars are too high making climbing hard work
    SS MTB – canti brakes never work well enough
    Winter road – worn saddle has put a hole in my shorts
    Good road – STIs aren't level on the bars
    Road fixed – filthy
    Track – charge spoon saddle is uncomfortable after an hour in the drops

tails
    Free Member

No probs with bent mechs other than one rock hit years ago. I'd look at designing parts for commuting or perhaps a whole bike (providing you don't have to prototype) as these designer bikes are often pretty crap. see here http://www.dezeen.com/2010/06/30/dezeens-top-ten-bikes/

singlespeedstu

I don't have problems with rear mechs. 😉

binners

SS MTB – canti brakes never work well enough

Thats cos it isn't 1978 Tom 😉

sc-xc

singlespeedstu – Member
    I don't have problems with rearending mechsican men.

😯

alexpalacefan

"Things are always going wrong with it. At the minute the problem is the rear hub, I think it's nackered. Shimano XT cup+cone shite" _Tom_

You need to work on your mechanics, C&C hubs should last for ages if properly maintained.

APF

PJM1974
    Free Member

The top tube is about an inch too short… Plus the kangarooing in the granny ring is a rare nuisance.

Other than that, I love everything else about it.

ourmaninthenorth

Thats cos it isn't 1978

Does that mean I don't need to wear these any more. I'll return them to you some time.

singlespeedstu

Been on the vodka and orange again barry.

You realy should stop drinking and fantasising about me mate.

_tom_
    Free Member

Well I've just cleaned it all out and regreased, when the wheel spins it makes a horrible clunky grinding which you can feel through the whole bike.

GW
    Free Member

having to drive it all over the country for on average probably 8 runs down a DH track.

Ps. Derailleurs don't often bend themselves. personally I find riders who complain about bending *derailleurs more annoying than bent derailleurs 😉

*unless it's a shadow

theflatboy
    Free Member

i built it a year ago and the steerer was too long, with spacers above the stem. it still is. 🙁

JimmyW
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies- It's really helpful. Well here's what i have thought of so far…

1. A handlebar with incorporated lights. LED's poke through holes drilled in the front of the handlebar. Battery fits down handlebar tube and is screwed in place. Advantages over normal set: Can't get stolen and protected. Can also be sold as an upgrade. Aimed at commuters

2. A rear derallieur that is repositioned in the space of the chainstays therefore protected by the frame itself

3. Integrated caliper brakes in a road frame and forks. Protect brakes. More aesthetically pleasing for singlespeed/fixie guys who don't like the look of brakes

These are just ideas and i'm not sure how i could make the second two work. Any other ideas of your own would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

James

zaskarrider
    Free Member

im not on it !!!!!!!!!

Edric64
    Free Member

I'd say that if you could design a strong, light, cheap and durable improvement/alternative to the rear deralier, you'll be a very very very rich man.

Sturmey Archer 4 speed then!!

binners

That picture of us was taken quite a while back. Those were the days eh mate? I only want them back if i can have my hair back too. I'm just not going to be able to work that look otherwise baby

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Waiting for the next thing to suddenly get annoying.

At the moment it's spot on – it never lasts long though….

hopster
    Free Member

The most annoying thing about my bike is that I keep looking at it but I can't ride it as I broke my hip 2 weeks ago.

I get annoyed with mysterious freaks although its noise free at the moment.

davidmoyesismydad
    Free Member

fork servicing intervals & service costs

carlphillips
    Free Member

epic expert here since sept '08
    whats wrong with it…

4 blown rear shocks/ brain failure
    2 rebuilds of rear wheel due to faulty nipples breaking
    1 rebuild of front wheel (see above)
    forks rebuilt twice
    juicy ultimates stripped/rebuilt..faulty seals
    2 complete sets of bearings for linkages

now i wouldn't mind this if the bike was actually ridden but gets used for less than twice a month for xc duties.
    epics=shite

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

fat – that's pretty bad news!

Had some issues with my Stumpy (late 07) HT wheels too but now fully Hope Hooped up. And my Juicy 5s were a PITA – now Elixir CRs.

DickBarton

The rider…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘What's the most annoying thing about your bike?’ is closed to new replies.