Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • What’s the best bang for buck flat pedal these days?
  • qwerty
    Free Member

A friend’s son has just blown his savings on a really nice secondhand 2015 Whyte G150 that’s a great spec complete with an array of Hope components.

But, it needs pedals and he’s blown his savings.

What’s the best bang for buck pedal these days, he’d prefer metal, but may bow to STW wisdom of plastic.

Ta

bsims
    Free Member

I have always found vaults to be hard wearing and super grippy – I know others haven’t.

Given light of his financial situation I would say Nukeproof neutrons. Mini has a pair and they work well.

prettygreenparrot

I like the superstar nano. Fairly priced. Spare pins galore.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    BillOddie

The plastic HT PA03A has more than enough grip for about £35.  They don’t have as much grip as vaults but I have found Vaults to be unreliable (based on one pair needing to be stripped down twice in as many months.)

Vaults are also 70-100quid depnding on offers…

Yak

Neutrons and they are c £33 at the moment.

johnx2
    Free Member

Over the past 3-4 yrs I’ve not felt the need to look past nukeproof neutron evo, £33 from CRC, match to colour of frame obv, and I got a little bag of spare pins for about £1.50 that will probably see me out…

(Dunno what to expect by way of wear. I think I’ve changed a couple of pairs after 12-18 months when they’ve been getting a bit raggedy. But I probably hit my pedals more than most.)

mtbqwerty

The Neutrons are plastic/composite aren’t they?

How’s peoples experience with non-metallic pedals?

hurricanerun
    Free Member

Pleasantly surprised by how good the Scudgoods have been. I’ve regreased the bearings.

Gone up a couple of quid in the meantime.

5lab

nanos. DMR v8 copies (welgo) if on a real budget.

snotrag

@mtbqwerty

Yes they are. Got these as my ‘spares’ for the hardtail which swtiches between flat/spd, run more expensive composites on big trail bike.

Would not even consider alloy/metallic pedals now.

Plastic is tough, resistant to damage, they stay good looking (self coloured) and cheap plastic pedals weight similar to what extremely expensive alloy ones with ti axles etc weigh.

IMO, it is THE way to make a flat pedal.

The Neutrons are absolutely fine. Big(ish), flat, strong, loads of colours. Easy.

jekkyl

https://www.carboncycles.cc/?s=0&c=84&p=940&
    £56! Cheapest alloy pedal I can find. Bomb proof, I’m on my third set. Very quick delivery too.

mtbqwerty

@snotrag ah righto, might get a pair for the HT in winter

DezB
    Free Member

Agree with jekkyl. Alloy or plastic from CC
    If I was really on a budget though, I’d scour Amazon for some non-branded (or something like Rock Bros.) pedals

joebristol

Those ‘Scudgood’ pedals mentioned above are mental cheap – might be worth picking up a pair for the exhort term until said last has some more savings to buy some decent fancier pedals.

I picked some red ones up from Amazon a few weeks back for a cheapie bmx I’ve picked up – £16.99 delivered! Surprised how nice they are tbh – quite big (maybe just a touch smaller than my Nano Evos) with decent pins and the bearings feel ok so far.

asbrooks

Those scudgood are generic pedals, I bought pair of same looking ones from Aliexpress for about £12 a few years ago and are still in use.
    They are not much more than that now Linky

mrmoofo

Had some Neutrons on PP for a year or so … they seem very good. Survived winter on the South Downs …

uselesshippy
    Free Member

The carbon cycles thermoplastic ones are good. About £24.

mashr

Still a very big fan of Diety Deftraps. Composite, massive, around £40

zerocool

Plastic Burgtec Penthouse Flats. Or get the alloy ones and they’ll last forever.

Superstar Nanos have always been my go to pedals in the past (apart from my MK1 Burgtecs that are still going strong)

Northwind

mtbqwerty
    Free Member

Plastic’s a great material for pedals tbh, but IMO the neutron’s not a great one (or any of the other variants on that theme). Not because of the plastic, just because of the profile, the centre part stands too tall and reduces the grip by loads. They improved it for the Evo model but it’s still there. (I know this doesn’t bother everyone, but, buying blind it’s smart to assume he’s one of the ones that it will… Same as some people like the Oneup composite pedal, others really don’t)

The PA03A is a much better design imo and good value Sadly you can’t get the brilliant Nukeproof Horizon any more, presumably because the plastic one was the cheapest in the range and was better than all of the more expensive models.

Quite like the DMR V6 and it’s super cheap, but, the plastic “pins” break off a bit too easily and then they lose all their grip. You can drill them and add grub screws instead but that weakens the pedal. Still, £14, it’d get him going and probably last a good while. Haven’t actually tried the V11 but it looks good and £30

mrdestructo

Also, it depends on his shoe size.

Those fit wonderfully with a UK13 five-ten, which find grip they didn’t on smaller pedals, but they’re plastic, so…..who knows.

3. Can rotate freely on large bearings, ultra-thin leading edge chamfer design, can avoid any obstacle

Not sure about avoiding “any obstacle”. I’ll hit anything, as my previous (other, cheaper brand) plastic pedals found out, to their detriment as several pins are now sideways:

CheesybeanZ

The plastic HT PA03A has more than enough grip for about £35.

Had mine 4 years, greased twice and I set of new pins 👍

We’ve tried ss nano and nukeproof- they’re OK
    MrsBeanZ prefers her Sam Hill jobbies.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘What’s the best bang for buck flat pedal these days?’ is closed to new replies.