Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)
  • What's steep on a road bike…?
  • Dickyboy

[/quote]Cycling Malga Palazzo – Besenello – Via Scanuppia

Man alive, fingers crossed I don’t get drunk & think that’s a good nut to crack

Haze

Ouch!

oldgit
    Free Member

I’ve never looked at percentages ever until seeing this post. A quick look shows my hills vary from 17% to 25%. And strangely the one with the worst reputation is only 17%.
    My gearing the same as my mates is 39/25 or 39/23 bottom. I confess that I asked my mate in the High Peak if that would be okay for a road ride in that area.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Cobbled. Wet. Brutal.

rkk01
    Free Member

Well, commute home included the Gwaelod pub climb. It’s a double chevron on the map, with a steep switchback – not sure how long and what gradient on the ground. Was certainly a grind on 39/25, but I now know that I can ge the bike up that sort of gradient!

warton
    Free Member

Where is that 45% climb?

molgrips
    Free Member

There’s a lane near Cardiff that has no chevrons but it’s so steep that when I did it I couldn’t stop because I didn’t know how to without falling over and tumbling down it. Took all my strength to just keep the wheels turning.. and that was on a triple! I thought the chain was going to snap.

This is one of my faves on the map though:

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=291085&y=322150&z=120&sv=291085,322150&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=631&ax=291085&ay=322150&lm=0

I’ve ridden down it, there’s a sharp left hander at the bottom. I was riding an early 90s MTB with full panniers and cantis, not even V brakes!

rkk01
    Free Member

There’s a lane near Cardiff that has no chevrons but it’s so steep that when I did it I couldn’t stop because I didn’t know how to without falling over and tumbling down it.

Whereabouts moly – can’t b too far from me. Sounds like a challenge!

Haze

Warton, it’s the Malga Palazzo mentioned above.

samuri
    Free Member

I’d agree on Hardknott. It’s not so much the steepness but the length, it just goes on and on and on. Much longer than the struggle which is really just two short, sharp climbs.

30 percent by Jon Wyatt, on Flickr

bagpuss
    Free Member

Millock in Cornwall near Bude, average of 30%. Not ridden it but walked up it with a carbon walking aid. Looks like someone put tarmac on a wall for a laugh.

beicmynydd
    Free Member

From Maentwrog thogh the village of Ffestiniog to the top of the Tarmac road at Manod Quarry is quite a climb see a photo here.

Manod quarry road rising through Cwm Teigl

sambob
    Free Member

Winnats is quite steep near the end. Lane in front of our house is approximately 20%, but very short. Started trying to ride up it in a harder gear each time I ride home from work, which is a recipe for pain and a broken chain.

molgrips
    Free Member

Oh yeah.. I once rode up Lon Pobty in Bangor on an old road bike with 39/19. That was ludicrous, probably the slowest I have ever travelled on a bike. I had to zig zag over the whole road and I was going at a walking pace of someone who’s just had an operation. Did it though 🙂

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=258051&y=371757&z=115&sv=258051,371757&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=631&ax=258051&ay=371757&lm=0

rangerbill

The first bit of the Buttress in Hebden is stoopid steep, and cobbled and slippy! I’ve tried hardknott once before and just remember looking at it and thinking (whimpering) that’s a wall. I’m doing the Fred Whitton route a week on Friday….I’m wearing comfortable walking/cycling shoes

Junkyard
    Free Member

I once rode up Lon Pobty in Bangor on an old road bike with 39/19

That was my commute home for 2 years
    dangerous as can be in the wet with the leaves in Autumn , not much fun in the snow and the students never looked before crossing the road.

mogrim

Worst I’ve done is the Bola del Mundo, and it’s “only” 19% max, although it’s ramp after ramp after ramp for 3km. No idea how you’d get up anything steeper!

molgrips
    Free Member

I bet you didn’t use 39/19 though 🙂

CaptJon
    Free Member

Part of the Ryals (Northumberland) are supposed to be 30%. I enjoyed over taking ‘proper’ roadies using the granny ring of my mtb chainset on my kaffenback.

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Regarding The Struggle and Hardknott from a recent ride on Garmin The Struggle 3 miles 1323 ft climb 9% avg,Hardknott 1.6 miles and 1030 ft climb 13% avg, Both killers in their own rights!!!

rudebwoy
    Free Member

no fun when you aint warmed up, did you live in caerhun ?

Would not try that with a 19 rear sprocket, its the triple for me these days, twiddle away…….

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Found it – Garmin profile at the lunch stop on Martin’s 10 laps of Winnats mission. 55 miles in, 1/2 way there. The little flat in the bottom is Edale/Hope/Castleton.

sofatester
    Free Member

That has the be the ultimate hill rep session!

Teifiterror
    Free Member

The Abergwesyn Mountain Road, three climbs in either direction ramping up to 25%, no rest at all as its up down all the way along it. – http://binged.it/QjIaBa

Wish the tour of Britain went back there! – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-qCNTlFTGM

fourbanger
    Free Member

Steep!

This required an instant detour off the main road when driving past in the van.

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

Steep!

This required an instant detour off the main road when driving past in the van.

hah!

it’s rare that a steep hill looks like anything in streetview.. that one looks insane.

13thfloormonk

I think this is the nastiest climb in Scotland, possible reaches about 25% near the bottom towards Polloch. Its a dead end too so you have to climb over the pass and descend just to reclimb it.

a sportive but without the arrows to direct you ,bum wiping support or the huge cost of entering

But what about those of us who can afford the shocking 30 pound entry fee and enjoy the company of more than 10 old men on the road, are we still allowed to enjoy sportives? 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

a sportive but without the arrows to direct you ,bum wiping support or the huge cost of entering

My last one was about £15 so worth it for the gels, sweets, arrows etc. At no point did I need my arse wiped.

And yes it was a race 🙂

Nobby

Short but nasty
    Only 1.5km with an average of 9% but it ramps up to 26% for about 100 metres. First ever attempt made me vomit & that was on a triple. 😳

atlaz
    Free Member

Couple of weekends ago I did 14km of 5% (in the shade) and 9km of 7% (in direct sun at 30 degrees with some 10-14% bits thrown in). I’d rather do the longer climb than the shorter one particularly as I got 16km of descending after the longer climb.

When the tour de Luxembourg comes through here they do a TT around the city centre. There’s a cobbled climb that averages 15.4% but gets to about 23% in places. Pro riders do it in about a 1:10 to 1:30 and they look like they’re in agony despite the fact it’s only 400m long. I’ve never had the urge to try it.

bob_summers

A local climb, Muro de Aia, goes up to 33% on my garmin, the last 100m over 30%. I can just about make it on 53×25, but would be walking if it was wet.

David Arroyo pushing up the same hill on the Tour of the Basque Country ’10, but that’s 140km into the stage at 40km/h.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPu-_Ml8f0Q[/video]

rkk01
    Free Member

I can just about make it on 53×25, but would be walking if it was wet.

53…? You running a single?

molgrips – that ride over Cefn Onn looks like a struggle. Wrong side of the Taff for me really, never seem to get onto the ridge above Cardiff…

Went home this way last night
    Was doable on 39/25

Big-Dave
    Free Member

I’m busy working my way through the ‘100 Greatest Climbs’ for charity. I’m 20 climbs in with 7 in South Wales to tackle this weekend. I’ve decided that any gradient that goes over 20% is not my friend, even with a triple fitted to my bike.

One of the worst climbs so far was Crowcombe in Somerset; it’s just relentless.

bob_summers

uff! Knees cringing at the very thought, I meant 39×25 😆

rkk01
    Free Member

7 in South Wales to tackle this weekend

C’mon then – which ones… the S Wales contingent need to know 😉

mattsccm
    Free Member

For FoD fans try Vention lane out of Lydbrook.

glenh
    Free Member

One of the worst climbs so far was Crowcombe in Somerset; it’s just relentless.

For its whole 500m or so in length 😛

MrSalmon
    Free Member

The Abergwesyn Mountain Road, three climbs in either direction ramping up to 25%, no rest at all as its up down all the way along it. – http://binged.it/QjIaBa

Did that on a sportive a couple of years ago, steepest thing I’ve ever done. The hill after the staircase part was the closest I’ve ever come to getting off and walking up a tarmac road.

molgrips
    Free Member

Wrong side of the Taff for me really, never seem to get onto the ridge above Cardiff…

You should. Lots of good off-road over here!

One of the worst climbs so far was Crowcombe in Somerset; it’s just relentless

You can’t use the word ‘relentless’ unless you are talking about the Alps or greater. Nothing in the UK deserves it.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘What's steep on a road bike…?’ is closed to new replies.