Viewing 12 posts - 81 through 92 (of 92 total)
  • What Would You Do?
  • thecaptain
    Free Member

I gave a relative my 2nd hand iPod touch hand me down when I upgraded. I thought they would get some use out of it and it would hardly have been worth anything on eBay. They are still using it a couple of years later. I did present it as an extra freebie they might like rather than a big important present though (even though it was actually more valuable than I would usually give).

phil40
    Free Member

Have a word with yourself!

My parents gave my wife and I a laptop for Christmas. My dads company was upgrading all of their laptops and he got a couple of the old ones. He knew my wife and I would make use of it, but we would not get round to buying a new one. We are over the moon with it, couldn’t care less that he got it for free, or that it is a few years old. It is better than what we had (nothing), it works and has got enough programs so it fills all of our needs!

My father looked at us, and saw that we would find a laptop really useful, he got hold of one, and gave it to us! That is what counts! Or do I need to get a receipt for all present to check worth? I prefer valuing presents based on thought rather than cost!

sc-xc

Nothing wrong with second hand. The problem here is passing something off as new when it isn’t

Is this the case? He used the box, but at no point has the OP said that he tried to pass the iPad off as new. Mind you, at no point has the OP said what they normally spend on each other at Christmas.

bigblackshed

sc-xc – Member

Nothing wrong with second hand. The problem here is passing something off as new when it isn’t

Is this the case? He used the box, but at no point has the OP said that he tried to pass the iPad off as new. Mind you, at no point has the OP said what they normally spend on each other at Christmas.[/quote]

This. Lots.

OP. If you want the STW massive to sharpen their pitchforks then you need to answer the questions previously asked.

How much do you normally spend?
    Did your son pass it off as new?

jon1973
    Free Member

My father looked at us, and saw that we would find a laptop really useful, he got hold of one, and gave it to us! That is what counts! Or do I need to get a receipt for all present to check worth? I prefer valuing presents based on thought rather than cost!

Why didn’t he just give it to her rather than seeing it as a opportunity to save a few quid on a Christmas present? I got myself a new tablet a couple of weeks back and gave my nephew my old one. It NEVER crossed my mind to wrap it up and give it to him as a present for Christmas.

yunki
    Free Member

Well, this is a sad thread..

Materialism extrapolated to disgusting levels.. How very Christmassy.. I actually feel a bit sick..
    I was always taught to be grateful when given a gift, seems like the OP believes in being a total **** 😯
    No wonder his son doesn’t meet his expectations.. You reap what you sow

richmars

as a opportunity to save a few quid on a Christmas present?

Except without knowing how much is normally spent on presents, and the value of a second hand ipad, the son may be down a few pounds.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

It’s not really the value of the gift or it’s 2nd hand nature that makes me think it’s a bit shabby. It’s more that it’s a gift of little thought, imagination, care or effort. Literally something that the gift giver has deemed not worthy of their own needs and is discarding. Sure, it may be a relatively expensive gift and the OP’s wife might make good use of it but I bet she would rather have received something that her son had put a little consideration into.

When I upgraded my iPad I gave my old one to my sister the only difference was I didn’t try and pass it off as a thoughtful gift.

phil40
    Free Member

I get the feeling a few folk on here know the cost of everything and the value of nothing!

angeldust
    Free Member

Son being a thoughtless ass imo

poah
    Free Member

nosherduke996 – Member
    My youngest son(31 years old) bought the wife an Ipad for Christmas. What he has done is that he has kept the new one for himself and given his old one to the Wife. Personally I think that it is taking the piss….what does everyone else think?

that you have no life for posting this pointless crap on this forum?

BillMC

There are some nasty people out there.

Viewing 12 posts - 81 through 92 (of 92 total)

The topic ‘What Would You Do?’ is closed to new replies.